NEWS

Magic as a priority

• 21 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-13-21/2029:45> »
Speaking of the archetypes, anyone have any insight on whether there is a plan to correct these as a point of errata?  I can rationalize them to a new player by saying that they are not "starting level" characters and either everyone uses one of these or everyone builds one themselves.  They may be higher powered by comparison to starter characters, but maybe they are balanced to each other at least?  Seems like the main things that would be borked would be skill and stat points perhaps (though the Trolls arm looks iffy at a glance -- haven't researched it tho).

I started making a player aid document for building your own or choosing a legal pre-built version because of the archetype issues not being addressed.

It actually is a possibility.  Cant promise it will happen, but it's absolutely within the realm of plausibility.

A hitch is that they cant really be "fact checked"... since you have to make assumptions about what the priority picks were.  Essentially, proofed pregens have to be rebuilt from the ground up.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-14-21/0207:54> »
Printed archetypes have been borked for several editions now (which is sad since they are one of the first resources that new players and GMs use when trying to get a grasp around the overly complicated chargen process that Shadowrun have) so I haven't really payed too much attention to them....

Two comments;
  • Have anyone actually done the math and figured out just how wrong they are?
  • I know there have been some fan-made attempts to fix archetypes in previous editions. Anyone attempted something similar for SR6 yet?

Typhus

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <04-18-21/1208:35> »
I had a thought I might try it.  I'm building in very general ways, aiming for starting characters for new players, omitting things like cyberlimbs that are badly explained or otherwise a poor of resources.  I started with a decker, who came out pretty impressive even without super-optimizing with exceptional attribute type qualities. 

That led me to a thought that I should also provide a new player with a "how to" guide, which led me to the fact that the Matrix rules are incomplete or only vaguely explained, and thus right on the edge of unusable for a totally new player using what landed in the book. 

I think combat and sorcery probably work okay as written.  Drone riggers might be salvageable since they would play at a character scale.  I'd probably at least try stat up one of those.  If I can get through the Matrix draft, I can get through anything.  Thankfully the folks here have some walkthroughs that I can lean on.   

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <04-19-21/1701:25> »
Two comments;
  • Have anyone actually done the math and figured out just how wrong they are?
  • I know there have been some fan-made attempts to fix archetypes in previous editions. Anyone attempted something similar for SR6 yet?

It was easier just to remake them, and yes.  Should be a post in the character forms, but it's over a year old.  May have to dig a ways to find it if you're curious to see my take on them.  Eventually I'll re-do them to be Missions compliant and re-post them. 

funkytim

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <05-03-21/2337:21> »
Plus, I don't know how that combat mage archetype would actually cast any more than a couple spells in a run.  The logic and willpower are so low that most spells will cause drain damage every time a spell with over dv of 2 is cast.  One bad roll and your dice pool mods will just start to build up.

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <05-04-21/0646:06> »
For the benefit of those coming to this thread later, here's someone's rewrite of the current (and some past) archetypes for 6e:

https://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=30450.msg529613#msg529613

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <05-04-21/1344:53> »
Plus, I don't know how that combat mage archetype would actually cast any more than a couple spells in a run.  The logic and willpower are so low that most spells will cause drain damage every time a spell with over dv of 2 is cast.  One bad roll and your dice pool mods will just start to build up.
The Combat Mage should have Logic 6 and Charisma 2 instead of Logic 3 Charisma 5.  Her Contacts give this away - she has 6 points of Contacts which is how many she would get if she had Charisma 2.  Dunno what happened, my guess is maybe she was a shaman at some earlier revision and she didn't get completely fixed.