NEWS

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Akira

• 15 Replies

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« on: <12-29-19/1949:01> »
Came across this YT video (on FB, I think) and thought people might find it interesting:

Cyberpunk Documentary PART 1 | Neuromancer, Blade Runner, Shadowrun, Akira

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #1 on: <12-30-19/1232:53> »
They did a good job. It's worth your time to check it out.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <01-04-20/0341:58> »
It's definitely interesting. I'll second the suggestion to take the time to check it out.
Agent #191 Catalyst Demo Team

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-05-20/0126:41> »
It's definitely worth the watch, and as an added bonus in the comments section there's someone from CD Projekt Red there talking about how the team has all watched it.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #4 on: <02-05-20/0442:19> »
as an added bonus in the comments section there's someone from CD Projekt Red there talking about how the team has all watched it.
The comments are shockingly good, considering it's YouTube. I have just discovered a couple of interesting sounding early proto-cyberpunk novels via them (When Gravity Fails and The Stars My Destination) that I think I'll check out.

This kind of thing is entirely my jam; thanks for the link, AJC. I shall be watching this at my earliest opportunity.

(And because I'm still delirious about it and can't stop telling people, even though it's off topic I can't resist saying: I met William Gibson last night. Gosh. GOSH.)

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #5 on: <02-05-20/1053:08> »
The comments are shockingly good, considering it's YouTube. I have just discovered a couple of interesting sounding early proto-cyberpunk novels via them (When Gravity Fails and The Stars My Destination) that I think I'll check out.

This kind of thing is entirely my jam; thanks for the link, AJC. I shall be watching this at my earliest opportunity.

(And because I'm still delirious about it and can't stop telling people, even though it's off topic I can't resist saying: I met William Gibson last night. Gosh. GOSH.)

1) Cool about meeting Gibson!
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.  (Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.  The original Cyberpunk RPG had less from When Gravity Fails, but a bit from Little Heroes I thought).  Others may have their own lists, but those are the connections that I see.

penllawen

• Omae
  • Let's go. In and out. Twenty minute milk run.
« Reply #6 on: <02-05-20/1105:19> »
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.
Well, OK! Thank you! I have sent a preview to my Kindle for when I get done with Agency and American Gods.

Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.
Strongly agree about Neuromancer (obv) and also Hardwired (which to my mind is a little bit overlooked when people talk about the classic cyberpunk touchstones... it's perhaps not as strong on serious-big-ideas as Gibson or Sterling but it's a pacy little genre novel nevertheless and has some pretty good worldbuilding in it.) Hardwired is why riggers have been my favourite SR archetype since I first opened SR2e in 1993 or so.

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-05-20/1807:11> »
Hardwired is my go-to for inspiration for Riggers.

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <02-08-20/0720:11> »
1) Cool about meeting Gibson!
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.  (Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.  The original Cyberpunk RPG had less from When Gravity Fails, but a bit from Little Heroes I thought).  Others may have their own lists, but those are the connections that I see.

Ditto on number one! In regards to the Cyuberpunk RPG, according to that documentary, it was influenced heavily by Hardwired. This is supported by the fact that when I bought everything for Cyberpunk 2020, they had a sourcebook for running your game in that universe.

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-08-20/0722:23> »
2) Read When Gravity Fails at your earliest opportunity.  IMO it is one of the foundational cyberpunk novels, a big part of why drugs play the role they do in Shadowrun, and the inspiration for one of the 1st edition SR adventures, and more.  Besides being a pretty solid novel.
Well, OK! Thank you! I have sent a preview to my Kindle for when I get done with Agency and American Gods.

Personally I line up most elements of SR version of cyberpunk to one of Neuromancer, Hardwired, or When Gravity Fails.
Strongly agree about Neuromancer (obv) and also Hardwired (which to my mind is a little bit overlooked when people talk about the classic cyberpunk touchstones... it's perhaps not as strong on serious-big-ideas as Gibson or Sterling but it's a pacy little genre novel nevertheless and has some pretty good worldbuilding in it.) Hardwired is why riggers have been my favourite SR archetype since I first opened SR2e in 1993 or so.

Hardwired is my go-to for inspiration for Riggers.

Just a FYI, Hardwired has two more books in that series:

Hardwired (1986)
Voice of the Whirlwind (1987)
Solip:System (1989)

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #10 on: <02-08-20/1451:02> »
Just a FYI, Hardwired has two more books in that series:

Hardwired (1986)
Voice of the Whirlwind (1987)
Solip:System (1989)

How are they? How do they compare to Hardwired?

Singularity

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <02-11-20/0114:43> »
I haven't had a chance to read them yet! When I bought the Cyberpunk 2020 books and PDfs, I thought I had a copy of Hardwired with the purchase. In actuality, it was the sourcebook for running the Hardwired universe using the Cyberpunk 2020 rules.  :-[

Horsemen

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-12-20/0102:29> »
I haven't had a chance to read them yet! When I bought the Cyberpunk 2020 books and PDfs, I thought I had a copy of Hardwired with the purchase. In actuality, it was the sourcebook for running the Hardwired universe using the Cyberpunk 2020 rules.  :-[

I plan to pick up the Hardwired Sourcebook at some point.

I know you can get them as e-books. I am trying to replace my published copy of Hardwired but I will need to pick up the other two at some point.

So far I am really enjoying Necrotech, though the language is rather sharp to put it politely. Understandable given the setting but the most in your face that I've read yet for this setting. But it really does have a SR or even CP(choose edition) feeling.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <02-12-20/0703:03> »

I plan to pick up the Hardwired Sourcebook at some point.

I know you can get them as e-books. I am trying to replace my published copy of Hardwired but I will need to pick up the other two at some point.

So far I am really enjoying Necrotech, though the language is rather sharp to put it politely. Understandable given the setting but the most in your face that I've read yet for this setting. But it really does have a SR or even CP(choose edition) feeling.

Yeah she sure gets pretty colorful with her language but at least it's only when she it's dialogue from Riko's POV ... which is most of the time
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #14 on: <03-04-22/1330:46> »
For those that care, parts 2 and 3 are out now. And they are really good as well.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.