NEWS

Do I need an implanted control rig to use an RCC?

• 7 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« on: <05-28-15/0633:47> »
It'd be nice to have a commlink that could share autosofts with a small fleet of drones. I know I won't be able to jump into any drones without the control rig, but can I still use the other functions of the RCC without one?
« Last Edit: <05-28-15/0635:52> by Poindexter »
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <05-28-15/0653:19> »
you don't need a control rig to use an RCC. You can just use it to pilot drones from AR/VR (with a sim mod) or issue commands to your drone fleet.
RCCs do make "jumping in" smoother and easier, but you do not need a rig to utilise one
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-28-15/0741:33> »
RCC does not come with a sim module, it use the sim module provided from your control rig....

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-28-15/1007:39> »
Huh, what do you know, they don't indeed. But Csjarrat is still right; you just need to buy a seperate sim module (they're not that expensive).

Point is, you can use an RCC without a control rig, and still use most of the RCC's stuff. It's not much different from controlling drones with your commlink, except you get the RCC's programs/autosofts/noise reduction options, plus group commands. In fact, the RCC and a control rig are pretty much fully seperate as to what they bring to the table - almost none of the RCC's functions demand a control rig or vice versa (although they do work well together), the only one being the "jumping around" option.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-29-15/2118:42> »
it is clear that you can buy a sim module to a commlink.
not equally clear that you can buy a sim module to a rcc.

it might or might not be intended that you need to have a control rig to fully utilize a rcc
- that non-riggers (people without control rigs) are supposed to use commlink (or cyberdeck), not a rcc.

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-30-15/0407:13> »
I interpret the "has all the features of a commlink" clause to include which accessories you can use with them. But you're right, that's not entirely a watertight argument, especially since sim modules are not listed with the rest of the Electronic Accessories, but directly with commlinks. (Electronic Accessories also state that they work with commlinks and cyberdecks (not including RCC's) btw, but I don't think anyone is making that argument).

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <05-30-15/0919:11> »
RCC vs Commlink RCC has share rating and noise reduction so you can share autosofts across many drones (but still need multiple autosofts for different guns/drone models) and you can run RCC specific programs on it, Commlink with sim module doesnt have all that but probably costs 7 times cheaper

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #7 on: <06-01-15/0927:46> »
I interpret the "has all the features of a commlink" clause to include which accessories you can use with them. But you're right, that's not entirely a watertight argument, especially since sim modules are not listed with the rest of the Electronic Accessories, but directly with commlinks. (Electronic Accessories also state that they work with commlinks and cyberdecks (not including RCC's) btw, but I don't think anyone is making that argument).
Im sure even the hardest of GM's would handwaive it if you simply just slaved your RCC to your commlink. Given that everything is wireless now anyways, probably doesn't matter where your sim module is, so long as you have one on you or nearby.
Here's to hoping rigger 5 clears up a lot of the ambiguity!
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor