NEWS

[SR5] Does quickening end up being unbalancing?

• 36 Replies

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <03-02-14/1957:08> »
I personally don't really see Quickening as unbalancing, since its so karma intensive and can be more trouble than its worth without metamagics from 4th edition (Extended Masking/Spell Masking).
It's less karma-intensive than getting the spells and sustaining them through Foci.

On a one for one basis yes it is less expensive. If you end up having to recast the same spell several times then the cost evens out or quickening can become more karma expensive.

The big disadvantage of quickening is not being able to turn the spell off. The social aspect that was stated earlier in the thread shows this well.
Also Mr. Johnson if magically active (or having magical support) could ask the character to drop the hostile spells like increased reflexes, armor, and increase to offensive stats like agility or strength maybe charisma so they don't have an advantage in negotiations. The character then has the choice of doing it or leaving the rest of the team to negotiate and fill him in after the meet.

While going out of your way to knock down spells since they are unbalancing isn't really cool in my opinion saying it isn't right to swat them since the player spent karma for them isn't the correct course of action either in my opinion. Especially with that many spell going the mage should figure that some will go down at some point. This is part of the risk reward game they are playing by quickening that many spells.

Hope all of this helps
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #31 on: <03-03-14/0548:11> »
I personally don't really see Quickening as unbalancing, since its so karma intensive and can be more trouble than its worth without metamagics from 4th edition (Extended Masking/Spell Masking).
It's less karma-intensive than getting the spells and sustaining them through Foci.

On a one for one basis yes it is less expensive. If you end up having to recast the same spell several times then the cost evens out or quickening can become more karma expensive.
Correct. But please note that I DID include the long-term numbers when I said it's less karma-intensive. "So if he loses the spell 15x in his career, he's equal in costs with the Force 4 Sustaining Focus."

However, I noticed I was recalling my percentages wrong. It's 10%, not 20%, to fail if with overcasted spells you have to bash through a ward. So the numbers I stated double. In other words, if the player has to bash through 1 ward per session average, it's still 150 sessions before an Increased Attribute Spell on a stat of 4 becomes equally expensive through Quickening as through a Sustaining Focus.

And honestly, at 150+ sessions for a GM who's wielding wards like weapons, and far more sessions for a GM who doesn't, it hardly is a valid argument anymore that Quickening becomes more expensive. When it takes 200 sessions for it to actually become significantly more expensive, well ask yourself, when was the last time your character had earned a total of 1.000 karma? Or 3.000 for that matter? If the Street Samurai can afford Deltaware Synaptic Boosters 3 and the Decker can afford a Fairlight Excalibur AND they spent just as much on other gear already by the time the Mage might have been cheaper off karma-wise...

Especially since the Focus approach causes you to get Addicted and burn out in an average of 50 sessions.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #32 on: <03-03-14/0803:07> »
there is a reason it is a meta-magic technique.....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-04-14/1051:48> »
there is a reason it is a meta-magic technique.....

Quick side note, what's the cost of getting a metamagic? Still 10 Karma then 13 then 16 ect ect in 5e? (we should also add that to the cost of Quickening in the beginning)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #34 on: <03-04-14/1143:03> »
Getting a metamagic requires 13 Karma.  The formula is ((Initiate Grade) x 3) + 10.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <03-04-14/1201:15> »
Getting a metamagic requires 13 Karma.  The formula is ((Initiate Grade) x 3) + 10.

Gotcha thanks. I think I saw that you can take a Power Point if you do that as adept? Now a rule yes?

Me and my friends also had a question about Mystic Adepts, when casting but I guess that's off topic so I'll make it in another topic.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #36 on: <03-04-14/1232:53> »
Gotcha thanks. I think I saw that you can take a Power Point if you do that as adept? Now a rule yes?

Yup.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.