NEWS

Decker Basics

• 9 Replies

Always Overkill

• Newb
« on: <01-21-14/0756:17> »
Recently I got some advice here on a Decker I was building (my first Tech character in SR), and it has so far proved helpful. But even after reading the Matrix chapter, I feel I need a little guidance on the nuances of actually
playing a Decker.

So any Decker Basic Training that can be passed along to me would be greatly appreciated.

So to let you know I have my Tsurugi Cyberdeck  set to a standard configuration of: 6 Data Processing, 5 Firewall, 5 Sleaze, and 3 Attack

The software I keep active: Signal Scrub, Encryption, and Toolbox

My Agent is set to run silent, doing Matrix perception tests to keep an eye for other hackers.

So tips on software, configuration, my Agent, and any other Decker stuff I am sure I missed will be rewarded with cyber-cookies falling from the sky.
There is no problem in life that cannot be overcome with the judicious application of too much firepower.

DeathEatsCurry

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-21-14/1048:46> »
Know your teammates' gear, and what bits of it are vulnerable so you know what to protect. Whenever you can, play it safe and patient. I personally like having the Configurator program set to a "all shit breaks loose" Attack set up, so you don't have to waste time switch attributes/programs when the fecal matter hits the air distribution device.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #2 on: <01-21-14/1104:21> »
When you get into combat, don't worry about trying to disable the opponents in traditional (lead-based) fashion.  Instead, disable their ability to fight by hacking their smartlinks, AR displays, etc.  I'd recommend doing this in AR rather than VR, just so that you can actually run and hide instead of laying in the middle of a battlefield.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-21-14/1112:51> »
When you get into combat, don't worry about trying to disable the opponents in traditional (lead-based) fashion.  Instead, disable their ability to fight by hacking their smartlinks, AR displays, etc.  I'd recommend doing this in AR rather than VR, just so that you can actually run and hide instead of laying in the middle of a battlefield.
IF they're WiFi Online at all !!
Smart Enemies aren't !

my Tip: get at least one Weapon Skill ( a Shotgun is quite effective. A Taser for the soft hearted )

with a smart Dance
Medicineman
« Last Edit: <01-21-14/1115:20> by Medicineman »
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <01-21-14/1114:42> »
Best advice: Do not start hacking when combat starts. You can try to detect enemy commlinks, score marks on them, then use Trace Icon to determine their location, which you can constantly see until they get rid of the marks. That way everyone has a tactical view and when combat starts, you can mess around with eject-clip commands, shutting down cybereyes, etc.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-21-14/1120:38> »
my Tip: get at least one Weapon Skill ( a Shotgun is quite effective. A Taser for the soft hearted )

A shotgun with Stick-n-Shock rounds combines the best of both worlds, and it absolutely obliterates drones.  :)

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #6 on: <01-21-14/1131:12> »
The agent you have is just performing Matrix Perception and checking your deck for marks, right?  'Cause that's the easiest way and it's not an opposed test.

Also, talk with your GM to get a good understanding how they're handling Matrix Perception.  I say this because the rules are very vague about what you need to know to find something that is hidden or over 100m away.  A good example is the beginning of Splintered States, where you are tasked to find a commlink.  If your GM says you have enough information to find it with a Matrix Perception test, then that can really change the story from happening how it's intended to.  Especially in combat, you need to make sure you both agree on what you need to know if you want to start finding devices your opponents are using or locating an enemy decker's cyberdeck.

I also second DeathEatsCurry's suggestion to have Configurator set to a full cybercombat loadout, with max Attack, low Sleaze, and then Hammer, Exploit, and either Fork or Mugger.  Personally I prefer Fork, because with 7 Attack and a +2 from Exploit, that's generally enough to brick most basic devices like cyberware and smartguns assuming you get a net hit or two and it can be done much faster than trying to mark them first.  In my personal experience, combat goes by too quickly for you to do a lot of marking or other actions.

Remember that your character's strength is also in information and logistics.  Sharing video feeds, using AROs to mark targets, letting your allies know if you find a number of smart weapons on the enemy...  You can even find otherwise hidden enemies.  An assassin might be stealthier, physically, but unless they also have a very high-end cyberdeck, their equipment will be rolling just LOG or Device Rating to stay hidden when running silent.  If something's within 100m of you and visible to you in AR, the ARO you put on it (that you can decide is only visible to you and your team) can be used to find them without needing a Trace Icon action, or so is my understanding.

Also, though you're no rigger, drones can be your friend as well.  One spying drone can be useful to help you locate potential targets and cameras.  Especially if you have a high Electronic Warfare skill and try using the sensor array available in drones to find things.  Along this same line, if you have a cyberarm, putting a sensor array in it can give you access to a lot of information you can gain rather subtly, like using a cyberware scanner or MAD scanner on someone you're talking with without them knowing.  Also, an ultrasound scanner can be used to essentially create 3D maps of an environment.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-21-14/1327:44> »
Also, an ultrasound scanner can be used to essentially create 3D maps of an environment.

Slight aside here: has anyone determined the precise range of an ultrasound scanner?  Currently ultrasound is used for motion detection, but that generally has a range of about 20 or 30 feet at best.  I assume things get better in Shadowrun, but how much better?

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #8 on: <01-21-14/1340:56> »
Ultrasound has a max range of 50 meters per the chart on page 446.
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-21-14/1354:28> »
Thank you sir.  :)