NEWS

More magic questions

• 16 Replies

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <03-15-21/1638:45> »
Unless of course you read this change as if you must now choose which attribute you want to increase for each subject you cast the spell on. That you can't stack the same spell twice to increase two different attributes on the same subject ;-)

That is indeed another houserule I use for this spell ;) Mostly because mages can easily make most drain values a non-issue with Focused Concentration 2 and two instances of this, but also because I think that flat Attribute Boosts should be the strong suit of Augmentations and Adept Powers. Limiting the spell to one instance per target while keeping its flexibility makes it a bit more of a situational choice instead of a fixed set of 2-3 "Pseudo-Augmentations" that the mage activates as a part of the breakfast routine.

(Alternatively, I even toyed with some kind of time limit. Since your magically push the targetīs body and/or mind beyond its limits, the effect may start to strain after a while, and even quicker with multiple instances. Just a thought here...)

Perhaps it no longer make the subjects glow....

That could be the intention here. In that case, Iīd definitely want a stronger, more more visible version! Hiding a behind a glowing shield is a very archetypical magical effect IMO.
« Last Edit: <03-15-21/1654:04> by Finstersang »

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #16 on: <03-15-21/1654:03> »
Keep in mind that itīs not "Increase Body", but "increase Attribute" in 6th. The new versatility of the spell ...
Unless of course you read this change as if you must now choose which attribute you want to increase for each subject you cast the spell on. That you can't stack the same spell twice to increase two different attributes on the same subject ;-)

the spell description fails to mention how visible an active armor spell is
Perhaps it no longer make the subjects glow....

That is indeed another houserule I use for this spell ;) Mostly because mages can easily make most drain values a non-issue with Focused Concentration 2 and two instances of this, but also because I think that flat Attribute Boosts should be the strong suit of Augmentations and Adept Powers. Limiting the spell to one instance per target while keeping its flexibility makes it a bit more of a situational choice instead of an almost permanent augmentation that you mereley have to activate during your breakfast routine.

I find that to be a bigger problem with the easy sustain options out there whether its focuses, qualities or quickening, though at least quickening causes a loss of karma when dispelled. That and spirits is my big beef with mages, that they cheaply augment up as much or more than street sams. Spell casting never really bothered me much, though things like control thoughts costing the same as a normal attack spell seems silly to me, bu a DV or 3 off here and there wont break it for me. And I mean yeah its one spell that does a lot but would another 12-18 karma to round out the stats you want to boost with separate spells really change the balance. What would be a interesting houserule imo is you have to rebind sustaining focuses if the spell is dispelled and have to buy new focuses and bind those if they get disrupted by a barrier or broken in astral combat. Sort of like that warning we all used to get on computers that if you didn't shut it down correctly it may cause some damage to the memory.