NEWS

Geas

• 2 Replies

Headhunter

• Newb
« on: <01-11-15/2329:20> »
In the Initiation section of the Street Grimoire it mentions Geas could some one explain it since the description confused me.

Lethal Joke

• Chummer
  • Hahahahahahaha
« Reply #1 on: <01-12-15/0002:43> »
From my understanding, a geas is a voluntary restriction placed by the user on their magic to achieve an end - like initiation trials or getting forgiven by spirits.

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-12-15/0351:39> »
A geas is a taboo against something that is placed upon you (mostly voluntary, but can also be forced) that, as long as you observe it, gives you something.  Violating a geas often gives very harsh penalties (in mythology, often death).

example (I don't know how they work in 5th edition, so I'm just putting something here): As long as you don't eat meat, you gain 2 extra dice on your drain tests.  Should you eat meat, you get a penalty of 2 dice until you do penance.

word of warning: don't take too many of those, as they might become mutually exclusive (observing one violates another).  The mythic Irish hero Cúchulainn had a geis to never eat dog meat, and he was also bound by a geis to eat any food offered to him by a woman. When a hag offered him dog meat, he had no way to emerge from the situation unscathed; this led to his death.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"