NEWS

Shadowland/Jackpoint Members List (Updated 4/23/23)

• 313 Replies

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #225 on: <01-25-13/2349:41> »
In the recent novella Neat, James Kincaid (the protagonist and viewpoint character) mentions that he's a Jackpointer after  his meeting with Hard Exit. I may have missed it, but I don't think his street name is mentioned. He's a former Lone Star cop, an initiate shaman, and now a licensed "Paranormal Investigator". His areas of expertise include Seattle (especially Puyallup), Seattle criminal organizations, police procedures and investigations.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #226 on: <01-26-13/0016:23> »
You misunderstand the writing.

Hard Exit is speaking:
Quote from: Critias
“You and Bunny might’ve been bad as all hell for each other,” she drawled at me, catty enough that her Texas twang came out whenever she gossiped a little, especially about a fellow high-and-mighty Jackpointer. “But that girl did wonders for your car.”

'Especially about a fellow high-and-mighty Jackpointer' refers from HE's point of view, and refers to Turbo Bunny.  Kincaid is not a Jackpointer.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #227 on: <02-25-13/1134:05> »
Hey, 'Jack, did you compile the list(s)?  And presuming so ... would you be willing/able to cull out a Jackpoint Guests List?
Pananagutan & End/Line

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #228 on: <02-25-13/1216:28> »
I will see what I can do. Unfortunately, due to my recent real life move, I haven't picked up a lot of the most recent books. As soon as I can get them, I'll cull out the guests.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #229 on: <02-25-13/1230:05> »
Do what you can on what you have, then let everyone else do the rest.  ;)

Oh - and thanks again for your work on this stuff. +10,000.
« Last Edit: <02-25-13/1234:11> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #230 on: <03-20-13/2159:45> »
Thank goodness for tax returns. Finally got a chance to pick up the latest books and update the lists. And FastJack and Slamm-0! have finally overtaken Cap'n Chaos total post count. FJ's leading with 4 posts over Fred, but with his retiring from JackPoint, I'm relatively sure that will change with the next book.

And, boy, do I empathize with my fictional inspiration. This last year has been a roller-coaster for me. But I think I've finally turned a corner (knocking on lots of wood) and it should be good going forward!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #231 on: <03-20-13/2238:00> »
Just wait until you get to be his age.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Rotor

• Newb
« Reply #232 on: <11-09-13/1556:25> »
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] Good evening.
:::::[HECATE] *****IDENT FAILURE—<UNTRANSLATABLE>*****
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] Please use common English. My interface
includes a real-time language translation and I’m afraid it cannot
handle the old tongues.
:::::[WORDSMYTH] What is the meaning of this??
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] Bravo! Outfoxed by the Dark Wyrm! True
deviltry!
:::::[LADY OF THE COURT] I was not told others would be at our
meeting, dragon …
:::::[WORDSMYTH] Nor I.
:::::[JUNGLE CAT] It seems we have all fallen victim to the same
ruse.
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] Wondrous irony, that we who prefer to be
at each other’s throats should be tricked into meeting after all.
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] The subterfuge seemed necessary to accomplish
my ends.
:::::[HECATE] Tell me your reason for this <UNTRANSLATABLE> or
I will leave.
:::::[THE BIG ‘D’] I want all of you to read something the humans call
a compilation of files. This particular collection is about Aztlan.
:::::>JUNGLE CAT SPITS
:::::[WORDSMYTH] Is the Watcher attending to this?
:::::[UMSONDO] I am here.
:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] And giving away nothing, as usual. In
your honor I shall eschew any further humor or wit. >THE LAUGHING
MAN SNIGGERS
I suspect that most of you know perfectly who they are and will laugh at my ignorance. Even me, I know who "BIG D" and "LAUGHING MAN" (harlequin, right?) are :) but I have no clue about the others (I infred from their dialog that "LADY OF THE COURT" may be from Tir Tairngire and "JUNGLE CAT" is obviously(?) from Amazonia)  This group picks my curiosity and I'd love to know who they are. Thanks in advance. (The book is "Aztlan" if somebody wonders).

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #233 on: <11-09-13/1652:31> »
Well, for those of you who don't know I make the cast as follows:

The Big 'D' - The Great Dragon Dunkelzhan
Hecate - Shiela Blatavska, head of Atlantean Foundation, also known as Alachia, former Queen of the Blood Elves
Wordsmyth - Ehran the Scribe, another Immortal Elf
The Laughing Man - Harlequin, another Immortal Elf
Lady of the Court - Brane Deigh, Queen of the Seelie Court in Tir Na Nog. If not an Immortal Elf, certainly one on intimate terms with them.
Jungle Cat - Hualpa, the Great Dragon in charge of Amazonia
Umsondo - Yeah, I have no idea here.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #234 on: <11-09-13/2348:45> »
JUNGLE CAT and UMSONDO remain ciphers - but IMO it's pretty blatantly obvious that Jungle Cat is not another Great Dragon.  He and Umsondo may be other Immortal sorts - or potentially the latest in a lineage/order of individuals that stretches back as long as the Immortals, as they treat Jungle Cat and Umsondo as equals.

Considering the origin of the immortal elves, I would tend to tag Umsondo as a negro immortal elf - but we know of no black Immortal Elves except Aina Dupree.  Close kin to her, perhaps, though there are several indicators that subtly suggest to the back of my mind, now that I think about them, that Umsondo could actually be her - or her offspring.  If pushed, I'd suggest that Jungle Cat is actually an Immortal shapeshifter - but again, we know of none of them, either.

Everyone else, of course, is spot on and officially acknowledged ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #235 on: <11-10-13/0156:04> »
Umsondo MIGHT be one of the Heavenherds, from southern Africa.

Brane Deigh as Lady of the Court - I don't know if i buy this, for a couple of nebulous reasons:
1) Ego. As head of the Seelie Court of Tir na nOg, i can't imagine her choosing just 'Lady' - but of course this, for her, could be incredibly subtle and low-key
2) Alachia is supposedly tutoring Brane Deigh, but there was no sign of any deference, one to the other

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #236 on: <11-10-13/0321:31> »
As far as I know, whoever they were in fact died with Findley and every discussion has been but speculation. If there has been some official decision/decree, then no one told me. Or worse, someone did tell me and I forgot.

I maintain Sheila Blatavska may be Hecate, but neither is Alachia. But I'm pretty sure I'm pissing up a rope trying to change anyone's, lest everyone's, mind on that.
« Last Edit: <11-10-13/0325:19> by Crimsondude »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #237 on: <11-10-13/0941:27> »
Well, it is clear that everyone in the group is either a dragon, an immortal elf, or someone intimately connected with them.

Sheila Blatavska is confirmed as Hecate and Miss Tick in Loose Alliances. As for whether or not she is Alachia, if she isn't, then she has to be another of the immortal elves, because in Loose Alliances it says she shares a relationship with Ehran and Aithne, and dressed down Schwarzkopf in front of his students telling him that he was teaching them wrong, and he should know better. Alachia is at the top of the list, especially since the other major female IEs are either Aina Dupree, or are working directly with the two Tirs or other awakened nations. Though, of course, there could be ones we don't know about. Another reason I believe Hecate is Alachia is found in the Aztlan file, pg 68. They are talking about Corruption, and Laughing Man says clearly that Hecate ought to know what it looks like. I take this as a pointed jab at how the Blood Elves had to Corrupt themselves to survive the Scourge. Again, same file, pg 172, she says this age is tame compared to the last one.

Umsondo may be one of the Heavenherds, or he might be the Australian IE from some of the early novels.

Regarding Jungle Cat, the poster is clearly based in Amazonia, and is well versed in their internal affairs. I'll run through my reasons as they appear in the book, for easier fact-checking. I'll be including page references, as well.

Pg 11. Not definitive, but Jungle Cat's reaction to the mention of Aztlan is markedly more hostile than the others.
Pg 12. He calls Lady of the Court, Hecate, and Laughing Man juveniles. Again, not definitive, but it suggests Cat is a good deal older than Hecate or Laughing Man, and certainly older than Lady of the Court. On the same page, Cat doesn't get the reference to the 400 pound gorilla joke, claiming to not have heard it, while the immortal elves all know it. Circumstantial, but these two tidbits suggest that Cat has been, shall we say, under a rock the last few centuries or more. Further evidence is just before Big 'D' begins the file, calling Aztlan 'our ancient foe'.
Pg 21. When talking about Pobre, Big 'D' reckons that he is a lesser (not a Great Dragon), but Cat counters 'Perhaps in form, but not in spirit.' Only a fellow dragon (one might say only a fellow great dragon) could get away with that kind of comment, IMO.
Pg 22. 'Do we look stupid?' Jungle Cat clearly marks himself as a core entity in Amazonia.
Pg 60. Jungle Cat apparently knows enough about dragon magic to say he has not seen any direct evidence of it in play
Pg 61. Cat mentions going into Aztlan in his 'guise'. While this could be a simple mask spell, it suggests the great dragon ability to take on a metahuman form.
Pg 86. Again with the 'We', referring to Amazonia. Clearly a major player in the Amazonian government, and we all know how many of those there are.
Pg 102. Jungle Cat speaks of using sentients and dragons to summon blood spirits in surprise, since he thought it 'too soon'.
Pg 109. Lady of the Court asks Cat if he get's grief from the Corporate Court, and Cat says yes, for the same reason she does. If, as we believe, Lady of the Court is Brane Deigh, leader of Tir Nan Og, then the reason the Court gives her grief is because the Tir hasn't signed the Business Recognition Accords. Neither has Amazonia. This implies further that Jungle Cat is the leader of Amazonia.
Pg 114. Both the sidechats pretty much scream that Jungle Cat is in charge in Amazonia.
Pg 172. Has some... unkind words to describe Hecate, saying she has no right to be speaking to them.

All told, there is a very strong circumstantial case that Jungle Cat is a (if not the) key figure in Amazonian affairs. The list of key figures in Amazonian affairs is incredibly short, especially when you limit it to immortals. Hualpa is the obvious pick from this list, though there is always an outside chance it could be Sirrurg, the third dragon from Amazonia's founding, or another, unknown IE (though that is exceedingly unlikely).
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #238 on: <11-10-13/1030:12> »
As far as I know, whoever they were in fact died with Findley and every discussion has been but speculation. If there has been some official decision/decree, then no one told me. Or worse, someone did tell me and I forgot.

I maintain Sheila Blatavska may be Hecate, but neither is Alachia. But I'm pretty sure I'm pissing up a rope trying to change anyone's, lest everyone's, mind on that.

Actually, I can accept that Alachia is not Sheila Blatavska. FWIW. Which kind of begs the question . . . what is the canon fate of Tir Tairngire Prince Sosan Naerain?