NEWS

Need Clarification on Chemiclal Seal.

• 4 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« on: <04-01-17/1701:37> »
....been debating the Chemical Seal armopur mod with the local group.  Now in teh Core rules there are two listings:

On the Armour table P. 436, there is a custom "Chemseal" option listed under FBA that adds +6 to availability, costs 6,000¥, but takes no capacity slots.

On the Armour Mods table on P. 438 there is a Chemical Seal modification (described on the previous page) that has an Availability of 12R, costs 3,000¥, and takes up 6 capacity slots. 

The question arose when someone asked about applying Chemical Seal to SWAT armour. I suggested using the one listed under Armour Mods however a reply I received was that was only the FBA version on the P 436 table is the one that is available.

I reviewed the published Core Rules errata and found no mention that the FBA Chemseal either replaces the Armour Mod version on P 438 nor that the latter no longer was valid.
Forsaken daughter is watching you

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-01-17/1712:58> »
Both are available, but if you're decking your armor out with lots of modifications the version that doesn't cost capacity is the smarter investment.
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <04-01-17/1718:07> »
First: Why on earth do you need a swat armor if you can have a FBA? The FBA is cheaper, easier to obtain and has nearly the same capacity.

The armor mod is available for other armors that qualify as FBA i.e. armor that comes with a helmet and encloses the whole body - just like the drysuit explains on p.79 R&G
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #3 on: <04-01-17/1757:38> »
....thank you that is what I thought. 

When it comes to the higher grades of Security, SWAT and Military Grade armours which have higher capacity -6 capacity is somewhat more manageable particularly since all helmets have their own capacity ratings for sensors, comm gear, tactical links & such.

The trade off between the two is either a better chance go to get it (and not pay a lot of markup because of the + 6 availability for the FBA version which for the heavier armours can get very expensive),  or like you mention be able to mod out your armour more.

Not that I myself would have a character running around in SWAT, Security, or M.G. armour as they tend to draw a high degree of attention.  Granted, the one advantage of SWAT armour is it is not restrictive like Security, Riot, and Military Grade armours are, though you still stand out in a crowd and when in the Barrens it's like wearing a "Shoot Here" sign (and someone there is bound to have a high powered S/A rifle or shotgun with AP rounds).

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #4 on: <04-01-17/1820:24> »
First: Why on earth do you need a swat armor if you can have a FBA? The FBA is cheaper, easier to obtain and has nearly the same capacity.

The armor mod is available for other armors that qualify as FBA i.e. armor that comes with a helmet and encloses the whole body - just like the drysuit explains on p.79 R&G
...again not for me, another person on our FB page was asking. 

The advantage SWAT armour is, it easier and less expensive to get with the Chemical Seal Armour Mod on P 438, as both have separate availability modifiers that do not stack (16R for the armour and 12R for the modification for a total cost of 12,500¥) whereas FBA with its Chemseal has a total availability of 20R which translates to a markup percentage for a total of 17,000¥ at a minimum +100% which is the lowest markup you can get in Missions with the best contact available (connection 6 at Loyalty 4) and with that contact being a Fixer, add another 10% (1,700¥) to that cost per the Missions FAQ.