NEWS

The Magic Spear Pack

• 3 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« on: <02-13-15/1922:43> »
Are there stats some where for a spear in 5th? I'm looking for a book and page number if possible.
I think I recall fixed bayonets having stats somewhere, and I know pole arms are listed in the main book, but I don't think I have seen actual spear stats. I found one listed in a thread in these forums but I have no idea if that's canon or not etc.

Thanks!
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #1 on: <02-13-15/1931:56> »
Spear falls under polearm, if I remember correctly from the description in the Core.
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-13-15/1939:48> »
Quote from: SR5 pg422
Pole arm: This is, at its very essence, a blade on the end of a very long stick. It usually features an axe-head, glaive, spear point, or similar maiming implement. It’s not easy to handle and it’s just about impossible to conceal, but it’s popular both with trolls and with melee combatants looking to safely keep said large trolls at more than arm’s length.

Table pg 423.

Quote from: R&G pg50-51
Bayonet (accessory): Some people think the bayonet charge became obsolete around the time of the American Civil War. Some people are not creative enough. A blade on the end of your firearm means more options, and in the shadows, this can be a very good thing to have. Bayonets can be fixed to the top or underneath slots of rifle-sized or larger weapons (though honestly, fixing one on top of your HMG is not going to be terribly useful). When attached on a weapon, it has Reach 2, DV (STR +1)P, and AP –1; it has the same stats when detached, only its Reach is 0. In either case, use the Blades skill when attacking with it.

Table pg 54.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #3 on: <02-13-15/2218:16> »
Thank you both for your responses, to me spears and pole arms are very different weapons. Now I agree that in 5th  melee weapons are highly  generic, making pole arm probably the closest fit. But in many other systems and I think previous editions fixed bayonets tend to be given the same stats as spears, however the  line from R&G lacks an accuracy rating, making it's not really unusable, unless you're meant to assume it has the same accuracy as the attached gun, which I doubt, given the rifle butts don't.  :-\

I checked the R&G errata and it's not addressed there ether, after reading over the rest of R&G I think i'm inclined to use the Javelin rules. Though I have to admit that doing so probably overly generous given that its' accuracy is listed as Physical limit.

It'll do until greater clarification can be achieved. Is their a stated npc somewhere that uses a spear in 5th? I think I recall one. I'll go start on the adventure books.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking