NEWS

Melee Weapon Balance

• 78 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <12-11-12/2058:18> »
With 13 dice and a 9P base for a sledge hammer, in addition to set-up and finishing move you can really lay a smackdown with melee.

Witness the crazy fight on top of a moving car between a muscle augmented human with a sledge hammer and a troll with a monosword.

Made an adept last night with 22 dice to swing katana and did 8P (could've gotten 9, but thought that was just ridiculous).
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #31 on: <12-11-12/2128:37> »
I've always been a fan of sledgehammers, they are so fun and you can do so much damage with one.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

Kat9

« Reply #32 on: <12-11-12/2134:27> »
With 13 dice and a 9P base for a sledge hammer, in addition to set-up and finishing move you can really lay a smackdown with melee.

Witness the crazy fight on top of a moving car between a muscle augmented human with a sledge hammer and a troll with a monosword.

Made an adept last night with 22 dice to swing katana and did 8P (could've gotten 9, but thought that was just ridiculous).

I never claim to be making perfect math characters. So kudos on your dice pool being bigger than mine.

« Last Edit: <12-11-12/2141:43> by Kat9 »

Kat9

« Reply #33 on: <12-11-12/2148:07> »
I've always been a fan of sledgehammers, they are so fun and you can do so much damage with one.

Yeah I kind of took the clubs skill set just for the visuals. Better with baseball bats than sledgehammers, but then it was a troll.

I play Shadowrun only because as of yet, Cyberpunk 2020 hasn't made a comeback, style over substance for me.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <12-11-12/2149:13> »

I never claim to be making perfect math characters. So kudos on your dice pool being bigger than mine.

Trust me it wasn't intentional. It just friggin turned out like that. I actually feel dirty with that level skill on Blades. Probably helped that I was just seeing what was possible building a real adept, and well, looks like that pretty well proves that adepts don't need implants.

Kat9

« Reply #35 on: <12-11-12/2152:07> »
They don't need them, it just rocks to put them in. Its like a fine wine with a good steak. One is just fine alone, but both makes it worth while.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #36 on: <12-11-12/2155:02> »
They don't need them, it just rocks to put them in. Its like a fine wine with a good steak. One is just fine alone, but both makes it worth while.

Where I see it as cheap malt liquor with a good steak.

Kat9

« Reply #37 on: <12-11-12/2205:40> »

Good on you.

Heckle

• Newb
« Reply #38 on: <12-11-12/2212:48> »

3 pages. Nicely done guys.
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Kat9

« Reply #39 on: <12-11-12/2218:21> »

3 pages. Nicely done guys.

Hey, I just posted my opinion on hammers/clubs and mentioned a fight and dice pools involved in a game. I didn't come here to start a "my dice pool is bigger than yours" cock swing. If AFBG wants to come roaring out of the basement like an unwashed otaku each time I post a thread, its his business.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-11-12/2226:33> »
Alls I did was make a comment on that I'd done something similar, which also happens to prove that the only "downside" of melee really is the complex action thing.
« Last Edit: <12-12-12/0046:53> by All4BigGuns »

Shadowjack

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #41 on: <12-12-12/0034:58> »
I really don't think he was trying to "one up" you, Kat. I think he was just mentioning a character relevant to the discussion :)
Show me your wallet and I'll show you a man with 20 fingers.

Mad Hamish

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <12-12-12/0349:48> »

Trust me it wasn't intentional. It just friggin turned out like that. I actually feel dirty with that level skill on Blades. Probably helped that I was just seeing what was possible building a real adept, and well, looks like that pretty well proves that adepts don't need implants.
Could you please post the character in the Creation and Critique forum?

Redmercury

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <12-12-12/0422:16> »
Another great thing about katana, (most curved blades really) they're way easier to wield in one hand for their size, compared to a strait blade. Don't get me wrong, strait blades win in terms of sheer hacking power, same with an axe, but I'd take a couple katana over a combat axe any day. I'd also say that a skilled katana or saber user facing off against an equally skilled enemy with a strait sword or axe of similar mass has a distinct advantage. Speed tends to win in battles with lethal weapons. I do agree about the over hype though. Toledo produced way more high quality weapons than japan did in a given amount of time (thank you Moors). I'm not sure on the credibility of this, but I've also heard that Toledo supplied Japan with some of its superior smithing material.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #44 on: <12-12-12/1032:42> »
Well, part of the reputation of the katana isn't hype. They tested blades on prisoners, and rated them on how many bodies the blade went through in a single slice. There were two and three body blades made. On Deadliest Warrior, I saw a guy with a katana cut through two and a half pig carcasses in one cut. The speed of the katana combined with its sharp edge make it a formidable weapon, and is easier to find gaps in armor with it. Now against someone wearing full plate armor, the katana user would be at a disadvantage, yes. But they had other weapons besides the katana.

I would say that the hype around the katana isn't really based on the katana at all, though, but on the people that wielded them. The samurai with their bushido code are something of a legend that has grown with time. The ninja of myth are also legendary, as well. These things combine to make a mythos around the katana, which is pretty powerful, even to someone who isn't part of Japanese culture. The only thing we Americans have that comes close would be gunslingers out in the Wild West, with weapons like the Colt Peacemaker or the Winchester rifle. The guns that won the West aren't particularly impressive compared to modern weapons, but they still resonate strongly with people, because of their legendary past.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters