NEWS

Multiple Vehicles

• 73 Replies

Devil

• Omae
« on: <09-07-12/1006:15> »
Alright, so I'm wondering how useful it is to have multiple vehicles. I'd like to discuss all the potential benefits.

For example: If you have spoof chips, morphing licenses plates, a low availability on your vehicle, and a common color of vehicle... then do you really need another vehicle? What about if you have if you have several SINs and lifestyles? What benefits would you gain?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <09-07-12/1038:37> »
It keeps the opposition (whoever they might be) from seeing the same vehicle all the time.  Even with chameleon coating, if a group sees the same GMC Stepvan go by, they'll take notice.

Now, if they see a GMC Stepvan, a Rover '68, a couple of Ford Americars, a Mercury Comet with dents all around it, and an ice cream truck, it gets a lot harder to know you're being observed.

Also, the right tool for the right job.  A Stepvan will draw a little attention in CorpVille if it's around for a long period of time, while a Mercury Oort or Ares Hummer Civic will blend RIGHT in.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #2 on: <09-07-12/1052:42> »
The Rigger in my newest game eschewed alot of drones to have spy drones, a Step-Van for big ops  an Americar for places thats not feasible, and a modded Roadmaster for those ugly terrains. Not all runs are in the sprawl

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: <09-07-12/1107:14> »
Also, didn't think of this, it's not always about Biz.  You could have one rig for work ,and another one for just going around the sprawl on a nice rainy day.

EDIT:  Your character's hobby might also be illegal street racing, so you'd need a ride for that, too.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Ethan

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-07-12/1116:07> »
I also love that personal mobility vehicle, I forget what's it's called. The one where you could have drone trailers for?

The few times I've played a Rigger I've had 3+ vehicles. Two "big" vehicles for the team, a delivery van and a minivan, plus a Comet or a beat-up Americar. Then my own ride.

Of course, stealing cars works too.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: <09-07-12/1124:55> »
A Rigger should retire after writing a book:  "Stealing Ford Americars for Fun and Profit".  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <09-07-12/1130:07> »
Daiatsu Caterpillar Horseman with Drone Module, I think is what you are talking about. I like the Advanced Cargo Module with the Arms. Very cool vehicle.

So, for a non-rigger, the uses we have so far for having multiple vehicles are: being a bit more physically inconspicuous during jobs, separating personal life from professional life, hobbies or the like that involve vehicles, & off-road or other unusual terrain.

Did I miss anything?
« Last Edit: <09-07-12/1136:05> by Joker »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: <09-07-12/1137:03> »
The Pick-Up Truck for beer runs.

What, most groups has a troll or dwarf in them.  Those buggers can drink!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <09-07-12/1137:50> »
Alright, so I'm wondering how useful it is to have multiple vehicles. I'd like to discuss all the potential benefits.

For example: If you have spoof chips, morphing licenses plates, a low availability on your vehicle, and a common color of vehicle... then do you really need another vehicle? What about if you have if you have several SINs and lifestyles? What benefits would you gain?
I typically will have only one vehicle, plus drones, if they fit the character. However, I've played a rigger that had two bulldogs, one to carry drones, and one to carry the team. I've also had a character that kept a houseboat, and a bike. They lived on the boat, and took the bike when they needed to be on land.

While having multiple vehicles is nice, that's also multiple vehicles you have to take care of and store someplace. I prefer to have one vehicle, and hopefully everyone else in the group has transport of some kind, so we can shake things up if need be. And if you really need different wheels, you can rent basic models pretty much anywhere in the sprawl. Or you can just steal one, if you need to.

However, with spoof chips, morphing plates, chameleon coating, and a very common vehicle frame, you can get a lot of mileage by simply hiding in plain sight. Yes, those two Bulldogs might look similar, but when one is carrying Renraku America colors and logos, and the other is from the Stuffer Shack, no one is going to assume that they are the same vehicle, unless they are TRULY paranoid, or you slip up by having the same people get in and out of the vehicles while people are watching. Remember, chameleon coating can do more than simply stealth mode. It can change colors, and even add in logos, if you like. There's more than one kind of camouflage.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-07-12/1146:52> »

I typically will have only one vehicle, plus drones, if they fit the character. However, I've played a rigger that had two bulldogs, one to carry drones, and one to carry the team. I've also had a character that kept a houseboat, and a bike. They lived on the boat, and took the bike when they needed to be on land.

While having multiple vehicles is nice, that's also multiple vehicles you have to take care of and store someplace. I prefer to have one vehicle, and hopefully everyone else in the group has transport of some kind, so we can shake things up if need be. And if you really need different wheels, you can rent basic models pretty much anywhere in the sprawl. Or you can just steal one, if you need to.

However, with spoof chips, morphing plates, chameleon coating, and a very common vehicle frame, you can get a lot of mileage by simply hiding in plain sight. Yes, those two Bulldogs might look similar, but when one is carrying Renraku America colors and logos, and the other is from the Stuffer Shack, no one is going to assume that they are the same vehicle, unless they are TRULY paranoid, or you slip up by having the same people get in and out of the vehicles while people are watching. Remember, chameleon coating can do more than simply stealth mode. It can change colors, and even add in logos, if you like. There's more than one kind of camouflage.

I do like the one vehicle with chameleon coating idea in principle. What would you say are the most common vehicles on the road in the Seattle sprawl? Also, are there any weaknesses to doing this?
« Last Edit: <09-07-12/1150:59> by Joker »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #10 on: <09-07-12/1153:16> »
Well, my personal choice for this method is either the Bulldog step-van or the Hermes delivery van from Arsenal. Simply because they're bigger, and you can fit more stuff in them. Also, think about it for a second. How often do you pay attention to the delivery van on the side of the street? Sure you curse at the plumber's van when he's moving too slow for your likes, but do you really pay any attention to it? Work vehicles are the best choice for this kind of thing. Sure, Americars and Jackrabbits are common as hell, but people notice personal vehicles more than they do work vehicles. That's simply human nature. Plus, slap a corporate logo on the side of a van, and it is a completely different van in most people's eyes from the one they saw before, even if it is the same color.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <09-07-12/1158:46> »
In this particular instance a van is probably not in my character's budget. I was thinking something enclosed though, like a car. Americars and Jackrabbits. Good stuff. Anything else? Basically it needs to be common enough that you could see two different colors of the same vehicle go by and not really notice. So far, from what I'm hearing the Americar is the best choice. I'd think that maybe the Honda Spirit, a favorite among commuters, if I remember right, might make the list as well.
« Last Edit: <09-07-12/1200:32> by Joker »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #12 on: <09-07-12/1258:53> »
In this particular instance a van is probably not in my character's budget. I was thinking something enclosed though, like a car. Americars and Jackrabbits. Good stuff. Anything else? Basically it needs to be common enough that you could see two different colors of the same vehicle go by and not really notice. So far, from what I'm hearing the Americar is the best choice. I'd think that maybe the Honda Spirit, a favorite among commuters, if I remember right, might make the list as well.
The Jackrabbit used to be the most common car on the street.  The Ford Americar (And it's Mercury sister, The Comet) are pretty common as well for a larger vehicle (Two seats or a four-door, you decide.).

I'd probably go with an older model Mercury Comet, it'll blend in just about every neighborhood.  Set it to "Hoopty Mode" for the poorer areas, and "Jetblack Black Mode" for the nicer parts.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Devil

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <09-07-12/1321:29> »
The Comet does seem like a really good choice.

Also, I discovered that Enhanced Image Screens is a cheap mod that can make it look like there are business people or families (or whoever) in the vehicle, rather than the outline of a lone sketchy runner, hiding behind tinted windows. Could be useful for getting left alone by authorities, or appearing to be a completely different car when circling back through, right?
« Last Edit: <09-07-12/1323:28> by Joker »

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #14 on: <09-07-12/1325:19> »
I like to have multiple vehicles with most characters and I don't tend to play Riggers. A bike for getting around as dense urban sprawl enviornments having something that can do tighter alleyways is nice.

Modded vehicle for runs. Sometimes something for racing as why not live on the edge when you have jacked up reflexes already. Something for hauling your drunk and/or shot ork/troll friends to the street doc....Something stashed at a safe house for a rainy day along with your go kit and backup gear.