NEWS

Datajacks in 4e

• 81 Replies

Tsuzua

• Omae
« Reply #30 on: <08-11-11/1342:49> »
That, and as said earlier, trodes don't have that extra bit of memory. The memory in a datajack can also be datalocked with the right implant, making someone a walking Johnny Mnemonic. Doesn't matter how much security you have on that commlink, there aren't even RULES for hacking a datalock.... At least, not that I've found.... They just mention needing a special code, and THEN it's still encrypted. Like having this installed in your head. http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/99f1/

Trodes do have storage space.  Everything in SR has arbitrarily large storage space.   

As for the datalock, since the entry mentions +Encryption, I think you're suppose to buy the Encrypt program for it.  Otherwise, there's no way to buy a datalock since who know how much the Encryption costs? If you use the Encrypt program then it's as good as any old datajack.  You're paying 500Y more for no DNI (which is arguable for this role). 

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #31 on: <08-13-11/0626:38> »
I'm hoping that when 5E rolls around they do a comprehensive cyber update and give datajacks some benefit or functionality improvement over trodes. I realize that they wanted to make sure all the magicrun mages wouldn't feel left out of the matrix game but I have a hard time wrapping my head aroudn the notion that the same quality of signal/bandwidth can be achieved through the hair/skull as through a directly interfaced connection.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Larzarus

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <08-13-11/1522:25> »
-Unwired mentioned the hierarchy: Skinlink&Nanopast < Trodes < Datajack because the distance between commlink and brain matters for the reaction speed in the matrix (not enough to give additional dices, though)

-Another difference is, in how you stop a hacker from being a hacker (e.g. as a GM)

Trodes for 50$: They get broken or stolen or simple taken away by the guards.

Nanopast: Hot summer and the hacker is sweating or a bucket of water into the hacker's face. (works also for the trodes)

Headcommlink: Yeah, headjammer, but not every npc enemy will carry something like that.

Datajack: Although, you can take away the cable, you can find a new cable much easier than new trodes.

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #33 on: <08-13-11/2223:17> »
another thought:

most characters, even if newly made, would be old enough or have personal history that would require they had a datajack, like anyone that was a wage slave data worker prior to crash 2.0.

of course that assumes they had no reason to have it removed in the following years.
Exactly what I was thinking. If you have a character older than 25-30 years old most likely they're old enough to required a data jack to even interface with the matrix effectively unless I'm mistaken for thinking that at least that level of cyber enhancement would have been normal even for kids becoming teenagers and such back in 2050.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #34 on: <08-13-11/2225:08> »
IIRC, you needed to be 18 to get one without parental consent.  16 with.  In the UCAS at least.

Can't remember where I read that, however.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #35 on: <08-13-11/2238:03> »
legally, yes it was probably 18,

a few extra bucks and the right street doc, you could probably get one as soon as you could pay.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #36 on: <08-13-11/2252:16> »
As I can remember it, don't orks and trolls have shorter lifespans, and hit physical maturity a bit earlier than other metas? Would be kind of a dick move to keep orks and trolls from finding jobs in tech industries because "technically" they aren't old enough... As fully grown adults...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

beowulf_of_wa

• Omae
  • just say no to rotary assault cannons and bubba.
« Reply #37 on: <08-13-11/2256:45> »
you think the UCAS is bad, age of majority in the Tir is either 21 or 25.
Carpe Noctem (seize the night)
Carpe per Diem (seize the pay), Carpe Dentum (seize the teeth), Carpe Denim (seize the pants)
Carpe Panem (seize the bread/capital)

no, i won't "just get over it."

NERPS!! for idiocy! NERPS!! for the minty fresh feeling! NERPS!! for gods! NERPS!! for guard duty!

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <08-13-11/2315:03> »
As I can remember it, don't orks and trolls have shorter lifespans, and hit physical maturity a bit earlier than other metas? Would be kind of a dick move to keep orks and trolls from finding jobs in tech industries because "technically" they aren't old enough... As fully grown adults...
Sounds to me like an easy way for the "MAN" to keep "the right" meta humans down.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #39 on: <08-13-11/2318:56> »
Sounds to me like an easy way for the "MAN" to keep "the right" meta humans down.
Or just a case of the laws/governments not being able to keep up with changing times.

I mean, hell, they only fired the Microfiche Machine Repair Technicians in Ottawa a few years ago, IIRC.  Those had all been scanned into digital format as soon as OCR-Capable scanners and CD Burners allowed for it, I think.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
« Reply #40 on: <08-14-11/0059:55> »
Or just a case of the laws/governments not being able to keep up with changing times.

I mean, hell, they only fired the Microfiche Machine Repair Technicians in Ottawa a few years ago, IIRC.  Those had all been scanned into digital format as soon as OCR-Capable scanners and CD Burners allowed for it, I think.
Either works i suppose, I just count on people being racist.
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <08-14-11/0107:42> »
Having worked for a few bureaucracies, I can tell you it's like to be one, the other, or both.  Or just plain (Meta)human stupidity.

We're only a couple generations (Even Ork generations!) into what's going on in the world.  Entrenched ideals don't change that fast.  They are doing so faster now than they have before, but...  Well, the more things change and all that.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

LordBiBo

• Newb
« Reply #42 on: <08-18-11/2028:15> »
Alright, I can understand keeping a system wired for security purposes. But I would imagine that someone could have come up with a device that works like a wireless cable for old systems that aren't wireless yet. just a little jack, plug it into the socket and it transmits wireless. never read about something specifically existing, but I see no reason why it wouldn't. I mean heck, we have usb versions of that irl. Jammers of course would still be an issue, but there are ways around that too.

as for memory, dont all commlinks have memory? and seeing as how memory chips are like 1 nuyen and can hold limitless amounts of info, I doubt the resonance loss for technomancers is worth the integrated memory. I can think of a whole lot of better ways to use a point of essence

oh speaking about better uses of a point of essence, is it me, or are vcrs way too cheap in 4e (and not as good for that matter)? I dont see why every hacker out there doesnt put one in. kinda destroys the idea of a dedicated rigger if you ask me...

still, the argument that older shadowrunners would probably still have a datajack is valid. of course when I play, I use a self brew alternate universe. so the timeline of things happening is different. keeps players from debating the facts of what is going on in the world. whats going on is what I say is going on damnit! :: smacks a pestering player ::

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #43 on: <08-19-11/0052:11> »
Here's a question: do Datajacks have to be in your head? Could you have one in your hand or other places?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <08-19-11/0058:43> »
They have to be near the major nervous system, IIRC.  Temples are easiest to access, but most noticeable.  I've also heard of behind the neck (Usually hidden by hair) and down the back.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11