NEWS

Bows?

• 97 Replies

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #30 on: <05-18-13/0955:40> »
Unfortunately, there just isn't any ranged weapon that does well for a Pixie besides magic.
Rigged anthroform drone wielding a bow. Or Panther Assault Cannon.

:)

-k
« Last Edit: <05-18-13/1035:04> by KarmaInferno »

Aaron

« Reply #31 on: <05-18-13/1009:44> »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <05-18-13/1248:22> »
You've seen this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g
Trollbow Machine Gun-Style Martial Arts Technique?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

ImmortalShade

• Newb
« Reply #33 on: <05-18-13/1842:29> »

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #34 on: <05-18-13/1943:01> »
Wow, he's incredible.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #35 on: <05-19-13/0159:54> »
You've seen this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zGnxeSbb3g

I love how the video keeps mentioning that modern archers kept saying it was impossible; gotta love hubris. We know from surviving Roman reports that the Huns tended to decimate Roman formations by firing an arrow first up in the air, and then immediately firing another more level at their targets. The Romans would raise their shields to protect against the first arrows, and then get hit by the second. Add in the fact that the Huns would do this again and again on horseback, while circling their enemy. But noooo, modern archers can't do it so therefore it's impossible!

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #36 on: <05-19-13/0250:32> »
Well, time to start imitating tellevision.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #37 on: <05-19-13/0841:41> »
Well, time to start imitating tellevision.

You mean we weren't supposed to be doing things from TV?

*throws away a stack of Die Hard VHS labelled "resource material"*

For real though, even without that video, it's not silly to ask that your Shadowrun character be able to do things a bit more "cinematically" than is capable in real life.  Nobody calls bullshit when legolas or any other fantasy archer does impossible things with arrows, and Shadowrun is also a fantasy game.

[spoiler]Also...  You're telling me no one ever thought "I'll just pull out more than one arrow from my quiver?"  The video says "The old master technique is to hold the arrow in hand and not have them in the quiver."[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: <05-19-13/0844:40> by firebug »
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <05-19-13/1002:54> »
In another time that kind of bow would be called ballista  :)
Ballistae used torsion springs. ;)

mtfeeney = Baron

• Ace Runner
  • I love crunchy numbers
« Reply #39 on: <05-19-13/1151:13> »
I haven't seen anyone claiming that you can't do amazing things with bows in Shadowrun.  This is an odd direction the conversation has taken.  Very cool video, though.
Remember, you don't have to kill the vehicle to stop it, just kill the guy driving it.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #40 on: <05-19-13/1406:02> »
I think it's important to note that that trick archer guy is quite impressive, but he is still basically a trick shootist.  You don't base whole combat systems around what the best quick-draw six gun guy does shooting at balloons, or act like the accuracy of Olympic competitors with specialized pistols is the baseline accuracy expected in a combat system, so you shouldn't try to base an archery combat system around what one gimmicky fast-shooting archer can do. 

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <05-19-13/1516:39> »
I think it's important to note that that trick archer guy is quite impressive, but he is still basically a trick shootist.  You don't base whole combat systems around what the best quick-draw six gun guy does shooting at balloons, or act like the accuracy of Olympic competitors with specialized pistols is the baseline accuracy expected in a combat system, so you shouldn't try to base an archery combat system around what one gimmicky fast-shooting archer can do.

True, but 20 shots/minute means 1 shot per combat round.  For a trained, non-augmented person this is possible without being a trick shooter.  Add augmentations to get it to this video's trick level and still be accurate.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #42 on: <05-19-13/1846:22> »
I wouldn't call that gimicky, since he's using a normal recurve bow and arrows, and trick shootists as far as I'm aware are using normal pistols. The nebulous combat turns rather poorly simulate firearms fire rate, on anything but a grenade machine gun. Accuracy on the other hand, not so bad, police officers miss 6 out of 10 shots on average. And in a statistical firefight, first shot accuracy is quite poor. Thus most compact self defense oriented firearms have around a 12 round magazine. More if the law will allow for it.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #43 on: <05-19-13/1849:20> »
If we assume SR5 will have a way for a bow-user to nock an arrow as Free Action, then an archer with high Reaction and Intuition (Lighting Reflexes comes to mind) who would always have Initiative 11+ and thus 2 IPs per Combat Turn, would be able to fire 60 arrows per minute. That's non-augmented.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #44 on: <05-19-13/1856:27> »
Actually, Aryeonos, 'cowboy action' shooters typically do modify their guns to increase the firing rate, including things like requiring less of a trigger pull, and so on. This is true both for rifles and pistols. Granted, I know this primarily from watching shows like Sons of Guns and American Guns, where they've had some of these trick shot shooters come on to get guns.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters