NEWS

Bows?

• 97 Replies

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #45 on: <05-19-13/1921:32> »
Sons of Guns, those backwater hooligans? While actually competent with machines their inventiveness is... at best jury rigging.

I wouldn't doubt they would reduce the trigger weight, but they are just modifying regular guns, not those retro futuristic laser blaster things they use in the olympics.
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <05-19-13/2102:20> »
Hair Triggers were done in the Old West, as well as in competitions today.

Just don't carry them when drunk or you'll kill your feet.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Aryeonos

• Ace Runner
  • Resident hermaphrodite
« Reply #47 on: <05-19-13/2227:48> »
But how are we supposed to live up to the stereotypical cowboy, as a whiskied up, horse riding, fast shootan rogue?
Sic Zipper Tyrannosaurus!

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <05-19-13/2237:26> »
By keeping your finger out of the trigger guard - also known as practicing the most basic of firearms safety?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #49 on: <05-19-13/2257:06> »
But how are we supposed to live up to the stereotypical cowboy, as a whiskied up, horse riding, fast shootan rogue?
Wimps, all of them.

Try imitating The Black Donnellys.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <05-25-13/0145:11> »
With a specialize martial Art Form that reduces some of the penalties.  Consult your local GM for specifications.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #51 on: <05-25-13/1030:49> »
Are you going full RC on that HVAR or are you still assuming Long Bursts defy Accumulative Recoil?

And yes, a Bow won't be as good as an Assault Rifle. It is, after all, a bow. Compared to a pistol or anything else the cops won't get on your ass for, it's a decent weapon. Compared to the dangerous weapons, not a chance.
I assumed full RC, enough to compensate for the entire double burst.

It is, after all, a game. A game where, even when spending vastly more resources to even get something to work at all, you get hardly half the effectiveness. You don't gain the concealability benefit of a pistol, the ammo types of a gun, the range, the -AP mods, suppressive fire, or much at all beside a quiter weapon. I'm not saying that a Bow needs to outstrip an Assault Cannon, but it should at least be a weapon that doesn't get absolutely boned because people whined hard enough to get it nerfed because it didn't fit their idea of SR.

And I say, Chargen Caps at 6 stands no matter how people whine to get it removed because it didnt fit their idea that Bows should be from the very beginning more powerfull than 0,44 magnum handgun.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #52 on: <05-26-13/1824:51> »
Sichr: It's not just about Rating 6 at chargen without Restricted Gear, the point is Rating 8 max (SR4a, stealth-errata) vs Rating 12 max (SR4a older edition which I have myself, and SR4 iirc).
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Ninja137

• Chummer
« Reply #53 on: <05-29-13/0211:52> »
I think just an uncapping of the hits that you can apply would make them viable, because as is there isn't much point in really specializing in them. You barely get any effective damage potential out of it.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #54 on: <05-29-13/0235:14> »
I think just an uncapping of the hits that you can apply would make them viable, because as is there isn't much point in really specializing in them. You barely get any effective damage potential out of it.
Sorry, what do you mean here?

Ninja137

• Chummer
« Reply #55 on: <05-29-13/0246:56> »
Sorry, what do you mean here?
Bow damage is capped at Rating x1.5.
If you have a Rating 8 Bow, your base damage is 10. After subtracting whatever hits an enemy gets from dodging you, you cannot do more than 12P. Doesn't matter if you manage to get a 25+ pool to roll for Archery and get all hits, you cannot do more than 12P at all.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #56 on: <05-29-13/0308:26> »
Oh, right, from the pdf version.  It's pretty stupid and I've always just ignored that/much preferred the version with a Strength cap of 8 (but no tacked-on cap to the hits you can score).

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #57 on: <05-29-13/0309:35> »
...  12P isn't much damage to you from what is, effectively, a completely silent weapon?
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!

Re:

« Reply #58 on: <05-29-13/0316:20> »
Lol. Just lol. Silenced Assault cannon. Even with possible called shot. Btw where is this successes cap mentioned? We are still talking about SRA
« Last Edit: <05-29-13/0318:20> by Sichr »

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf

Re:

« Reply #59 on: <05-29-13/0321:51> »
Lol. Just lol. Silenced Assault cannon. Even with possible called shot. Btw where is this successes cap mentioned? We are still talking about SRA
It was a kind of stealth-change in the old pdf (not the print) version of the core book.  Word for word the same sentences at first, but then they go off the rails.  Where the print version talked about arrow ratings (and had a Strength cap of 8), the pdf version instead put in a straight cap on damage (but had a Strength cap of 12).

I mean, 12P damage is still nothing to sneeze at, but it was lame that just one type of weapon had that sort of mechanic.  You could stab someone as hard as you wanted, shoot them with some peashooter holdout but still get a hojillion successes, punch someone without your hand breaking, and on and on and on...but just this one thing had arrows magically stop at a certain damage value, no matter how well you rolled.
« Last Edit: <05-29-13/0429:56> by Critias »