NEWS

Street Wyrd: pg. 23, out of place quality

• 4 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <02-24-21/1728:02> »
One lonesome quality, "Close-Minded Summoner" is hidden on page 23 away from all the other qualities, at the end of some fiction.  The fact that it's in a section called "game information" makes me think this part of the book was originally going to be in another publication, like a Tales from the UCAS or something.  Anyway it should be in the Qualities section obvs.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-24-21/1955:30> »
Yeah I was trying to figure out if they were going for a each section would have themed qualities and then more general qualities in another section, but this seems to be the  only one. Weird organization isn't exactly unusual for their books though.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <02-24-21/2022:58> »
Yeah I was trying to figure out if they were going for a each section would have themed qualities and then more general qualities in another section, but this seems to be the  only one. Weird organization isn't exactly unusual for their books though.

I notice that the section on negative qualities is tight and already jam-packed with text. There's no room to move the 10 lines from pg 23 to there, and errata doesn't even get to THINK about throwing off the page counts.  In that light, I expect that Closed Minded Summoner ended up on pg 23 because they picked option C out of their available layout options given there was no room on pg 114:

A) find 10 lines somewhere between pgs 112 and 114 to cut to make room to include Closed Minded Summoner
B) just drop it entirely from the book
C) jam it in somewhere else.  Hopefully somewhere where it makes sense, but any page that already has a ton of white space is going to work.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <02-24-21/2056:14> »
I wish they'd chosen B.  It's a major disadvantage that doesn't give much karma for it.  I'm creating a character right now with things from SWy, and considered this quality but because it prohibits summoning and banishing, it's just not what I'm looking for.

Shinobi Killfist

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-24-21/2120:39> »
If it didn't include banish it might be worth it. On the summon/bind side there is a lot of overlap so losing up to 5 isn't that bad. But I'd always want a defense option in.