NEWS

BioWare stash

• 38 Replies

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #30 on: <03-08-19/2234:06> »
That's a fair point Marcus, but I think we're past the point of trying to discuss used cultured bioware. The last several examples have been specifically calling out situations of non-cultured bioware.

That being said, I agree that cultured bioware probably shouldn't be available in a "used" quality.

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #31 on: <03-08-19/2248:17> »
I’m pretty sure that Cultured BioWare cannot be implanted as used.

P. 460 of CRB puts it like this:

Cultured bioware must be tailor-made for the body in which it will eventually find a home. This means it is more expensive and takes longer to acquire than the off-the-shelf kind.

As it says Tailor-Made that implies it cannot be implanted as Used
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #32 on: <03-08-19/2256:36> »
I'd say that Used-grade Cultured Bioware isn't "used" so much as "really shoddily made" and installed in a back alley veterinarian clinic after you dig up a doctor, and you pay him twenty menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your central nervous system.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #33 on: <03-08-19/2306:40> »
I'd say that Used-grade Cultured Bioware isn't "used" so much as "really shoddily made" and installed in a back alley veterinarian clinic after you dig up a doctor, and you pay him twenty menthol Kools to do a surgical shine job on your central nervous system.

sounds legit, what could go wrong?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #34 on: <03-09-19/0312:06> »

sounds legit, what could go wrong?

Lets see...

2 billion nerve fibers to be connected, with a MAX diameter of 1 micrometer each, Add in miss match phenotypes and cellular material, miss-matched hemogloben..

Nothing at all to go wrong... A little toxic septic shock, anaphylactic shock, and intravasular hemolysis is good for the soul :P 
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #35 on: <03-09-19/0319:58> »
I'll stay clear of Cultured Bioware, and maybe even Bioware alltogether, as black market items, but I think from a RPG perspective black market ware is definitely a thing. You have organized crime harvesting cyberware from unfortunates and selling them off as used? Definitely. You have shitty back alley clinics implanting whatever you bring them? Absolutely. This is a dark and shitty world where your ideals of the perfect implant is just about as far away as your chance of becoming ARES CEO. You take what you can get, and a good GM always keeps his players hungry.

Overbyte

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <03-09-19/1413:30> »
Perhaps a little DNA Masking to match things up.  :D
Nothing is foolproof. Fools are so ingenious.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #37 on: <03-09-19/1440:18> »
I'll stay clear of Cultured Bioware, and maybe even Bioware alltogether, as black market items, but I think from a RPG perspective black market ware is definitely a thing. You have organized crime harvesting cyberware from unfortunates and selling them off as used? Definitely. You have shitty back alley clinics implanting whatever you bring them? Absolutely. This is a dark and shitty world where your ideals of the perfect implant is just about as far away as your chance of becoming ARES CEO. You take what you can get, and a good GM always keeps his players hungry.

Oh, for sure there is a black market out here for body mods. Just not the organic kind. Cyberware, military skillsofts, weapons, heck even good ol' fashioned clothing are all staples of the Black Market.  (You used to be able to make a pretty penny bringing new Levi jeans into Russia back before the fall of the wall... Buy them in the states for $60. Sell them in Russia for $300...)
Basically the Black market handles stuff that doesn't spoil, or is relatively easy to store.

"Squishy" things, like organs, end up being handled a different way as pointed out. Tanamous is the current booggieman for this type of shit with their "tag and track" inventory. (They keep a list of DNA and blood types to match up to prospective clients. A client comes to them and needs a new kidney, they look in their records, find the match... and go get it! Too bad for the living "Fridge" its being stored in... but hey, they still have one more kidney. For next time.)

There is lots for your character to work with.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Ajax

• Omae
« Reply #38 on: <03-09-19/1639:19> »
“Living incubator” is also a great origin for a Shadowrunner: Prototype Transhuman, Records of File, Wanted, Restricted Gear, and oodles of alpha-or-better grade bioware... You were a genetic match for someone very rich, very powerful, and very very very old. You’ve been stuffed to the gills (heck, perhaps you literally have gills) with all sorts of fancy-schmancy wetware. But you bolted before they could harvest them.
Evil looms. Cowboy up. Kill it. Get paid.