NEWS

Karma reward question

• 7 Replies

PMárk

• Chummer
« on: <12-14-18/2308:19> »
Hi folks! I just want to ask if there is an updated table for giving karma in any of the 5e books, besides the core? I've read more than half of them, but I can't recall right now and don't have the time to check.

I'm mostly thinking about something like the old narrative karma awards in SR3, for example.

Also I think there was some talk about alternative awards in the new Better than Bad book... Does it contain anything like that? Or maybe somethin in some of the Missions stuff?
If nothing worked, let's think!

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <12-14-18/2324:11> »
Missions uses the guidance in the core rulebook... perhaps with a slightly generous slant... figure on average about 7 karma for a 4 hour adventure.

Better than Bad has some new ways to spend karma, but iirc no new/updated ways to earn it.  Karma awards are pretty well in the domain of GM prerogative, so there's little need for it.  Give as little or as much feels right for campaign progression goals.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #2 on: <12-14-18/2329:30> »
yea,

the major question is: "Is this for Missions play" if the answer is yes, then its whatever the mission lists.

If this is for your home game, then its more a question of how fast you want your players to progress...

If an example helps, I generally shoot for a Karma reward of 5 to 8 karma per game session, regardless of if a mission was completed. But my games have a heavy role-play interaction, so a lot is going on other then just a 'Run'... (lots of sub plots, inter weaved with the contacts of the players, and NPC interactions beyond the simple Missions setups..)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <12-14-18/2332:32> »
Thanks, though I hoped there's something somewhere. Okay, I can use the old ones, no problem (and they aren't even strictly necessary, since yeah, the party could decide the rate of progression), but I think they were nice to have for a new GM and also helped setting the mood and expectations. like, SR3 was the frist rpg I've encountered, which explicitely stated that the GM is supposed to give xp for being funny, or gutsy, or thinking out of the box and such. I thought it was great and I'm a bit sad it's absent in 5e.
« Last Edit: <12-14-18/2334:20> by PMárk »

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <12-15-18/0139:29> »
the GM is supposed to give xp for being funny, or gutsy, or thinking out of the box and such. I thought it was great and I'm a bit sad it's absent in 5e.

That sort of activity is supposed to be rewarded with extra Edge refresh in SR5. The GM is encouraged to hand out extra edge for good RP, etc.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <12-15-18/1137:19> »
I reward that type of play with extra karma myself.
Usually I'll even tell straight up too. "For tonight you all get 5 karma, and 1 extra for that great idea to punt the grenade back at them)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <12-15-18/1819:38> »
the GM is supposed to give xp for being funny, or gutsy, or thinking out of the box and such. I thought it was great and I'm a bit sad it's absent in 5e.

That sort of activity is supposed to be rewarded with extra Edge refresh in SR5. The GM is encouraged to hand out extra edge for good RP, etc.

Ah, indeed. I forgot that. Thinking about it, it might be even better, to reward it like that. Though I'm still inclined to give a bit of an extra xp.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #7 on: <12-15-18/1918:54> »
I reward that type of play with extra karma myself.
Usually I'll even tell straight up too. "For tonight you all get 5 karma, and 1 extra for that great idea to punt the grenade back at them)
My biggest problem with that kind of rule is that it disadvantages some kinds of people and character when only applied to the individual. If the entire table gets it, it's fine.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!