NEWS

Albinism II and Night Vision qualities

• 5 Replies

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« on: <09-28-18/0142:32> »
...OK did a search on the Quality and came up empty.  According to the description of the 8 Karma quality characters also suffer from mild glare which as mentioned can be mitigated through various methods (most likely glasses or contacts with Flare Compensation). 

For the Night Vision quality, it mentions that a side effect is the character sufferes glare penalties ranging from severe (clear sunny day) to moderate (cloudy day) which can be reduced by 2 levels with protective eyeware (again glasses, gogglesn or contacts with say flare compensation). 

So if a character With Albinism II also had the Night Vision quality, would the penalties stack or just the worst of the two (the side effect of the Night Vision quality) apply?
Forsaken daughter is watching you

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #1 on: <09-28-18/0653:58> »
I would say simply the worst would apply
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #2 on: <09-28-18/1419:46> »
...thanks that is what one of the GMs in my Missions group thought as well.  Just wanted to float this to the community to see what others thought.

elbruce

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <10-01-18/2154:32> »
I would ask, "do the karma bonuses stack?"  But I'm snarky that way.

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #4 on: <10-01-18/2249:05> »
...Albinism is a Negative Quality and Night Vision is a Positive Quality so they are opposites.

Grizzly

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-18/0809:02> »
It's likely a GM call and I don't see where it should make a cool idea unplayable during the day... that said I think RAW might make it very challenging.

Night Vision gives a flat Glare penalty.
Albinism gives a flat Glare penalty, plus a modifier:  "All other Glare modifiers are also increased by one level versus albino characters." (RF p.151).

Glare modifiers normally stack if they come from different sources - but in this case it is arguable that the Night Vision is a side effect of your Albinism genetics (something I would allow as a Rule of Cool if it were my call).  So I would agree with taking the worse penalty as your base - which would be Night Vision.

However, RAW I would then say that the NV penalties are increased by 1 as per the Albinism description.  This would shift your clear day from -6 to -10 as per SR5 p.175.

Might have to see if you can source a pair of welder's goggles to be able to go to the grocery store.   :)