Adept power 'Transmit Damage' and multiple attacks

• 10 Replies

kainite311

• Chummer
  • PC's are just murder hobo's...
« on: <08-21-18/0112:29> »
TRANSMIT DAMAGE
Cost: 1 per level
This power allows an adept with Killing Hands to channel any physical damage he has taken into an unarmed attack and transmit it into his target. The attack is resolved
using the standard rules for unarmed combat. For each box of unresisted physical damage the adept deals to his opponent, remove one box from his Physical Condition Monitor. The maximum number of boxes that can be transferred in this way is equal to the adept’s level in the power. Stun damage cannot be transmitted.

Does this stack with multiple attacks against different opponents? Same opponent?I see no activation time listed, nor any limiting language per phase or turn...
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <08-21-18/0205:12> »
It's a Killing Hands buff so it simply allows you to attack that way. It says it uses standard rules, so if you attack multiple opponents you would follow the default dicepool-splitting stuff.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #2 on: <08-21-18/1240:43> »
But does the effect go off with each hit. Example, hit 3 mooks, or hit 1 mook 3 times with power level 1. Heal 3 boxes ?
Kainite
Actually, in most Shadowrun games, they typically have a Lifestyle so they're either Murder Hobos (Street/Squatter Level) or Murder Renters (Low+ level)

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <08-21-18/1333:46> »
A split attack is still just one attack - you can only transmit as much damage with one attack as you have points in Transmit Damage. Just punch them one after the other with a fresh attack and you can transmit three damage with three complex actions.
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <08-21-18/2011:29> »
A split attack is still just one attack - you can only transmit as much damage with one attack as you have points in Transmit Damage. Just punch them one after the other with a fresh attack and you can transmit three damage with three complex actions.

While I agree that Multiple attack is an attack action, I disagree that means it is only one attack. The rules on page 196 say:
Characters sometimes want to really put on the hurting
in a single Action Phase and can choose to attack more
than once in a single Action Phase by using the Multiple
Attacks Free Action. This action represents both
attacking multiple times from a single melee weapon
and attacking with two different weapons (firearms
or melee)...
The total number of attacks you can make in a single
Action Phase is limited to one-half the attacker’s Combat
Skill.

RAW it says "attack more then once" and "...attacking multiple times" and "...and each attack is handled separately", clearly stating it is not just one attack. 'Attack action' and 'attacks' are separate here.

To try to shoehorn multiple attacks into a single attack opens up a can of worms I think (especially considering you have to resolve each separately). What happens to abilities that add damage to an attack then? They only deal bonus DV on the first attack? Anyways that would be a side discussion as I think the rules clearly state 'attacks' as plural, not just an 'attack action'... Back to topic...
Kainite

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-21-18/2151:48> »
The biggest issue with the Transmit Damage power in general (and why it needs clarification/errata) is that the restriction "The maximum number of boxes that can be transferred in this way is equal to the adept’s level in the power." is extremely vague in its application.

Is that a maximum per enemy? per attack? per set of wounds? per day? There are so many ways that this "maximum" can be applied that there is no way to know what they mean.

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #6 on: <08-21-18/2219:42> »
The only real, semi-qualifier is
This power allows an adept with Killing Hands to channel any physical damage he has taken into an unarmed attack and transmit it into his target.

"...an attack" is pretty ambiguous though itself.
Kainite

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #7 on: <08-22-18/0026:13> »
TRANSMIT DAMAGE
Cost: 1 per level
This power allows an adept with Killing Hands to channel any physical damage he has taken into an unarmed attack and transmit it into his target. The attack is resolved
using the standard rules for unarmed combat. For each box of unresisted physical damage the adept deals to his opponent, remove one box from his Physical Condition Monitor. The maximum number of boxes that can be transferred in this way is equal to the adept’s level in the power. Stun damage cannot be transmitted.

Does this stack with multiple attacks against different opponents? Same opponent?I see no activation time listed, nor any limiting language per phase or turn...

There is a lot of problems with this power (I can't even remember which book its out of!).

As worded, it is an unlimited "heal" power for the price of punching people - which is somewhat covered in its cost...

For each Power point invested, the adept can heal one point of damage off of his condition monitor per successful attack unarmed melee attack.

This really needs errata badly.

However, it only works on physical damage, can only be used when the adept is hurt, is limited to melee range AND an unarmed attack, - and diminishing returns, so maybe its not so broken.

AS WORDED:

It would return health to the adept for each hit that lands and does damage in a multiple attack situation. So if you managed to hit say 6 targets it would return health from each of the 6 targets until the adept's condition monitor was restored. Assuming you did damage them.
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

kainite311

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <08-22-18/0048:25> »
Bullets and Bandages is where it is from.

I will most likely house rule it to 1 per complex action (the melee attack action itself). Otherwise I think it too good. Nothing heals that fast and for basically free (no drain/penalties) and is instant/reusable/unlimited resource every attack... Yeah 2 power point min to achieve, skill to hit, melee range... But being as you would be a natural melee build anyways, their is no real drawback/risk above what you would normally do as a melee orientated runner (get close, boot to the head, Ed Gruberman style)
« Last Edit: <08-22-18/0054:20> by kainite311 »
Kainite

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <08-22-18/0117:27> »
Personally, I could also see that original wording missing a "per set of wounds" at the end of the restriction.

That would mean that it can't be used over and over again to keep healing. That would make it much more balanced (IMO).

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #10 on: <08-22-18/1050:03> »
There's a general rule that magical healing can only be used once for any given set of injuries. This would count as magical healing.