NEWS

Any info on the Italian edition?

• 11 Replies

Gianan

• Newb
« on: <08-08-22/0857:36> »
(Sorry if off topic, I didn't know where to write.  I hope there's someone from Catalyst who can clarify things a bit.)

So, I've been waiting the Italian edition of 6E since it's been announced... more than 3 years ago.
I've written to the Italian publisher (Wyrd edizioni), their official answer (to me and other people) is that they sent the final materials to the American publisher (so I guess CGL) last November,  in order to have their approval and start printing and shipping.
But they received no answers from CGL,  even after several reminders, so they can't do anything.

Since I'm starting to distrust Wyrd edizioni (for a couple of reasons),  could you confirm if this is actually true?

If that's the case and you don't want to deal with Wyrd anymore you have my understanding (they slept on the licence for 3 years after all),  I just want to know what is happening...  if you're looking for another publisher,  if everything is stuck,  if you just don't care,  I don't know.  Just any update please
« Last Edit: <08-08-22/0900:13> by Gianan »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <08-08-22/1430:37> »
Can't give you an official CGL answer, but I can tell that as a freelancer and errata team member there has been no discussion with us about an Italian edition and we were included in discussion for both the German and French translations.
That certainly doesn't mean it's not in the works though, just that we are not being included if it is.
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

taranion

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <08-09-22/0446:43> »
Can't give you an official CGL answer, but I can tell that as a freelancer and errata team member there has been no discussion with us about an Italian edition and we were included in discussion for both the German and French translations.
That certainly doesn't mean it's not in the works though, just that we are not being included if it is.

Have you been involved in the Brazilian/Portuguese translation?

Gianan

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <08-09-22/0955:32> »
Thank you Banshee, any info/clue is appreciated  (and more than we had in 3 years lol).

Just for clarity, in which phase of those German and French translations were you involved?  Like, before the actual translation for giving guidelines, or after the translation to make a final check?

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <08-09-22/1034:05> »

Have you been involved in the Brazilian/Portuguese translation?

Have not seen anything there either
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <08-09-22/1036:14> »
Thank you Banshee, any info/clue is appreciated  (and more than we had in 3 years lol).

Just for clarity, in which phase of those German and French translations were you involved?  Like, before the actual translation for giving guidelines, or after the translation to make a final check?

For the German it was after, but the French team reached out to us during the translation asking questions about intent as well as where we were on the English errata.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Fika

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <08-10-22/1015:31> »

For the German it was after, but the French team reached out to us during the translation asking questions about intent as well as where we were on the English errata.

I must add that one member of the French team is also on the errata team.

I'm not sure if they need Catalyst approval in order to print the final files, but it seems doubtful.

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <08-10-22/1034:57> »

I must add that one member of the French team is also on the errata team.

I'm not sure if they need Catalyst approval in order to print the final files, but it seems doubtful.

Reaching out about clarifications is what led to adding Carmody to the errata team, it had turned into a good relationship for sure.

I don't know any of the "legalities" that are required, but I do know that the more the foreign publishers work with us the better the end product is.
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Gianan

• Newb
« Reply #8 on: <08-11-22/1230:38> »
Seemed strange to me as well.  I know that some authors want to have control on foreign editions (like The witcher must be translated directly from Polish, or Sailor moon  manga must be identical to the Japanese edition) , but Catalyst doesn't seem that nit-picking.

I don't know any of the "legalities" that are required, but I do know that the more the foreign publishers work with us the better the end product is.
I agree 100%, and  I'd rather wait for the best product possible than having immediately a bad edition.
But I'm having doubts on Wyrd edizioni because  1) three years are a lot, even considering Errata, Seattle edition etc.  2) they clearly bought more licenses than they can manage .  So my fear is that they silently cancelled SR because it's the most complicated and long line they have.
Maybe I'm thinking badly,  but...
« Last Edit: <08-11-22/1233:22> by Gianan »

Fika

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <08-12-22/1634:11> »
To be fair, I remember an Italian Facebook group where the editor spoke about their intent to wait for official errata due to complaints regarding the quality of the first prints.
I suspect that they don't have the ability (in time and / or skills) to make their own errata as the French & German teams, and they may have waited for the Seattle Edition in order to get back on track with their translation.
Furthermore, as each contract differ, maybe Wyrd edizioni must really wait for Catalyst validation. It's a young partnership, after all, whereas Black Book Editions and Pegasus Press have been Catalyst partners since they got Shadowrun license.

Gianan

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <08-13-22/0840:19> »
To be fair, I remember an Italian Facebook group where the editor spoke about their intent to wait for official errata due to complaints regarding the quality of the first prints.
I suspect that they don't have the ability (in time and / or skills) to make their own errata as the French & German teams, and they may have waited for the Seattle Edition in order to get back on track with their translation.
Yes indeed, that's why I have waited so long to ask for info.
When Seattle edition came out (around 15 september 2021) they said they received it from Catalyst and were working on updating their translation: all good then.
But after that, silence.  So I wrote them 2 weeks ago and they answered that they completely finished in November 2021, but Catalyst does not answer them anymore.

Furthermore, as each contract differ, maybe Wyrd edizioni must really wait for Catalyst validation. It's a young partnership, after all, whereas Black Book Editions and Pegasus Press have been Catalyst partners since they got Shadowrun license.
Very possible, but why no answer at all for 10 months?  Either Wyrd is lying, or Catalyst is ghosting them for some reasons.
Basically,  I opened this topic because Wyrd is putting the blame on Catalyst;  now I'd like to hear Catalyst's version of the story.
« Last Edit: <08-13-22/0842:21> by Gianan »

Fika

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <08-14-22/1231:10> »
Very possible, but why no answer at all for 10 months?  Either Wyrd is lying, or Catalyst is ghosting them for some reasons.
Basically,  I opened this topic because Wyrd is putting the blame on Catalyst;  now I'd like to hear Catalyst's version of the story.

You should try the english facebook group in that case, Jason is more active there.