NEWS

SR5 Matrix Perception and Running Silent....

• 4 Replies

Nomad Of Endings

• Newb
« on: <07-21-20/2300:56> »
I'm usually a 4e guy but I'm finding it harder and harder to get a game of that going, so I'm now hopping back to 5e but finding a lot of things difficult with the Matrix... One such difficulty is Matrix Perception... Or more specifically, the question you get to ask of "Is any Icon running silent within 100 meters of me or on the host I'm on?"

What prevents a Matrix Spider from just constantly saying "I want to spend each Combat Turn doing Matrix Perception tests and always devoting 1 hit to asking if any silent running icons are around?" I mean sure there suppose to be doing other things too, but it feels like it counters Matrix stealthiness too hard from Deckers being able to lurk around or wait, since someone is always gonna ask that question if their running Host security.

Are there anyways to counteract this or work around it?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <07-22-20/0048:02> »
I'm usually a 4e guy but I'm finding it harder and harder to get a game of that going, so I'm now hopping back to 5e but finding a lot of things difficult with the Matrix... One such difficulty is Matrix Perception... Or more specifically, the question you get to ask of "Is any Icon running silent within 100 meters of me or on the host I'm on?"

What prevents a Matrix Spider from just constantly saying "I want to spend each Combat Turn doing Matrix Perception tests and always devoting 1 hit to asking if any silent running icons are around?" I mean sure there suppose to be doing other things too, but it feels like it counters Matrix stealthiness too hard from Deckers being able to lurk around or wait, since someone is always gonna ask that question if their running Host security.

Note that Hosts have an event horizon.  So if you're penetrating some corp facility, the spider inside the host can't scan for your silent running icons unless you get inside the host with him.  But, if the site has someone doing matrix overwatch OUTSIDE the host... yeah.  Note that hosts do not have physical locations, and so the spider defending the host for a site does not need to be IN that site... he can telecommute to work from literally anywhere in the world.  However if a person wants to be scanning the local airwaves for silent running icons physically inside a building, that person must be physically there.

Running silent is paradoxically a good way to announce "hey, there's an intrusion going on!".  Basically, it's an analogue for what happens when you try to use invisibility to get by an astrally projecting mage or spirit ;)

Do some homework and find out if the site already uses silent running devices (like drones, or whatnot).  if the site already has stuff running silent, then they won't be prone to checking for silent running icons, because they know they're gonna get back a hit on that.   OTOH if the site insists all employees and devices keep everything on the up and up, then running silent is just gonna risk giving the game away.

The concept carries over to hacking:  Once you have a mark on the host, you're temporarily a legit user in the eyes of the host/IC.  You don't NEED to be running silent while hacking a host... indeed running silent can just end up putting the host on alert if Patrol IC checks say, once every minute to see if silent running icons are present...
« Last Edit: <07-22-20/0051:21> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-22-20/0937:14> »
What prevents a Matrix Spider from just constantly saying "I want to spend each Combat Turn doing Matrix Perception tests and always devoting 1 hit to asking if any silent running icons are around?"

SR5 p. 49 Trying Again
Re-trying on a failed test is allowed, but players must take a cumulative –2 penalty on each retry. If the character takes a sufficient break from trying (it’s up to gamemaster discretion how long a break is needed), they can begin the task again with no penalty.

Alter your icon to fit the sculpturing of the host - and don't run silent (until right before you are about to take an illegal Matrix Attack action).

DT p. 69 Avoiding the watchful eye of GOD
Knowing the emphasis security places on perception makes it all the more important to adopt the infiltration techniques that work in the meatworld. Most importantly, look like you belong. If you’re going into a crowded host, for example, why run silent? That’s a great way to call attention to yourself, oddly enough. Just let your icons move with the crowd of others, and make sure your actions are so smooth that they don’t call attention to you.
« Last Edit: <07-22-20/0944:38> by Xenon »

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <07-22-20/0951:08> »
I use spiders as the HTR for hosts.  IC and agents can handle almost everything.  Spiders only show up if engaged, if things escalate enough to get their attention, or if it's a particularly important item at risk.  Otherwise, they stay in the background, monitoring IC and systems.

Nomad Of Endings

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-22-20/1348:49> »
Super helpful advice all around, thank you so much!  :)