NEWS

Magical weapon for an NON-awakened character

• 67 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #15 on: <11-03-12/0227:43> »
Mengele.  Josef Rudolph.

You should also not be using artifacts in the 'Warehouse 13' sense, but rather in the 'Dawn of the Artifacts' sense - an artifact being something of truly ancient provenance, which may well be useable by mundanes as well as mystics, but which is going to cause a Whole Drekload of trouble coming down the pike...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <11-03-12/0750:33> »
Indeed. Actually, if there are any 'minor' artifacts to be found (spell matrix items, pattern items, etc.), then your best bet for finding them would be in places like the Deep Lacuna where old kaers have returned. Of course, anything that was trapped in the kaer when it took a 'half-step to the left', as you might say, would still be there. And a lot of things from that time were quite powerful, and more than a little hostile.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Captain Karzak

• Chummer
« Reply #17 on: <11-03-12/1205:24> »
My Urban Shaman is the only awakened character in the table and he want make a gift for the Street Sam, something take makes him hurt spirits or manifested?

Buy him a Tazer. A Defiance EX Shocker. Mod it up with Firing change selector: Semi Automatic mode, an internal smartgun sys, and a personalized grip. Giftwrap.

Or buy him a few clips of Stick & Shock ammo for his favorite gun.

Either will just fine on spirits who are in the physical realm (ie who have materialized or possessed something/someone. I can't think of anything that will help with spirits that are still purely in the astral, but to be honest, a magical weapon focus wouldn't be a hell of a lot of use in that scenario anyway.

Zephraim

• Newb
« Reply #18 on: <11-08-12/0853:19> »
I had always assumed that a Weapon Focus would still count as magical even when not bonded, apparently I was wrong.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-08-12/1215:21> »
Magic items in shadowrun aren't like they are in D&D, where you have a magic sword, and it is always a magic sword. In Shadowrun, a better analogy would be a flashlight. The bonding ritual is like slapping a AA battery in the flashlight, except that since you're the battery, it won't work if you hand the flashlight to someone else.

My Characters

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <11-14-12/2021:58> »
Resurrection and teleportation aren't available... yet. Kurokawa is official. That bit of fiction at the start of the Magical Goods chapter in Street Magic is Lyran handing it over to her client. So it is possible. But it might as well have been made of Unobtanium.
Orichalcum is supposed to be able to hold magic (if I recall correctly). Then again, you're still talking about an extremely rare substance and the supposition that you can get a mage to cast and quicken an elemental spell on your blade.

except that since you're the battery, it won't work if you hand the flashlight to someone else.
So somewhat like skinlink, except that the magic item functions by reacting with the host's aura.

This is actually one of the aspects that I like more about Shadowrun than DnD, if you find an amulet Imbued with an Adept's Mystic Armor power it requires that an adept bond it to him/herself instead of the finder holding it above his head and shouting "I have found the Master Swor...er...a shiny thingy!"

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-14-12/2032:35> »
Not to mention that if a character managed to research a way to create persistent items that a mundane could use, he would have no reason to keep running unless he was a serious adrenaline junkie. He could probably eventually start his own corp after patenting the process.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #22 on: <11-14-12/2038:42> »
Not to mention that if a character managed to research a way to create persistent items that a mundane could use, he would have no reason to keep running unless he was a serious adrenaline junkie. He could probably eventually start his own corp after patenting the process.

Assuming, of course, he survives to make money off it.  ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mad Hamish

• Chummer
« Reply #23 on: <11-14-12/2139:16> »
Resurrection and teleportation aren't available... yet. Kurokawa is official. That bit of fiction at the start of the Magical Goods chapter in Street Magic is Lyran handing it over to her client. So it is possible. But it might as well have been made of Unobtanium.

What's the source for what the sword can do?
All that fiction tells us is that somebody paid a lot of money for a sword to be made, not what it can do.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #24 on: <11-15-12/0147:41> »
I would imagine it cuts things.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #25 on: <11-15-12/0147:41> »
Digital Grimoire, pg 9. It is a PDF only supplement that goes into more detail on some things.

Quote from: Digital Grimoire, pg 9.
Kurokawa, The Black River
The bright blade Kurokawa is a katana featuring a vein of orichalcum running the length of its folded steel blade, and a hilt carved from the fang of an adult Eastern dragon. Hiro Gassan, descendent of a line of Japanese master swordsmiths, used an ancient magical formula to instill the unique enchantment within the blade.

Kurokawa acts as a Force 6 weapon focus. The sword immediately bonds with anyone who holds it, magician or mundane, without having to pay Karma or perform a bonding ritual and they gain the benefit of the focus immediately. The blade is always active and dual-natured and cannot be deactivated except through force (such as the Disrupt Focus spell or an astral barrier). Kurokawa’s wielder, even a mundane, may become subject to Focus Addiction (See Focus Addiction, p.26–27, Street Magic), becoming obsessed with the blade.

To make this blade, a swordsmith who followed the Buddhist tradition was needed, as well as four unique radicals, several natural radicals, the tooth of an Eastern Dragon, and ten units of orichalcum. Oh yes, and a live metahuman sacrifice, who was run through with the sword, which pulled a bit of his aura into the blade, which is why you don't need a binding ritual.

Naturally, this kind of enchantment is not something you'll find at a corporate shop anytime in the near future.

My Characters

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #26 on: <11-15-12/0419:58> »
Digital Grimoire, pg 9. It is a PDF only supplement that goes into more detail on some things.

The bright blade Kurokawa is a katana featuring a vein of orichalcum running the length of its folded steel blade, and a hilt carved from the fang of an adult Eastern dragon. Hiro Gassan, descendent of a line of Japanese master swordsmiths, used an ancient magical formula to instill the unique enchantment within the blade.

Kurokawa acts as a Force 6 weapon focus. The sword immediately bonds with anyone who holds it, magician or mundane, without having to pay Karma or perform a bonding ritual and they gain the benefit of the focus immediately. The blade is always active and dual-natured and cannot be deactivated except through force (such as the Disrupt Focus spell or an astral barrier). Kurokawa’s wielder, even a mundane, may become subject to Focus Addiction (See Focus Addiction, p.26–27, Street Magic), becoming obsessed with the blade.

To make this blade, a swordsmith who followed the Buddhist tradition was needed, as well as four unique radicals, several natural radicals, the tooth of an Eastern Dragon, and ten units of orichalcum. Oh yes, and a live metahuman sacrifice, who was run through with the sword, which pulled a bit of his aura into the blade, which is why you don't need a binding ritual.

Naturally, this kind of enchantment is not something you'll find at a corporate shop anytime in the near future.

But did the guy want it to hang on his wall, never to be touched - or to make people dead?

Xzylvador

• Prime Runner
  • Ask me about NERPS! 30% Sales!
« Reply #27 on: <11-15-12/0532:50> »
<snip> a swordsmith who followed the Buddhist tradition was needed, as well as four unique radicals, several natural radicals, the tooth of an Eastern Dragon, and ten units of orichalcum. Oh yes, and a live metahuman sacrifice, who was run through with the sword, which pulled a bit of his aura into the blade, which is why you don't need a binding ritual.

Naturally.

Orichalcum is rare, you probably need to pre-order.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #28 on: <11-15-12/0658:41> »

But did the guy want it to hang on his wall, never to be touched - or to make people dead?

hard to say. The story is written from Lyran's perspective, and as a good little runner, doesn't play 20 questions with the johnson about the order. My take on it is that she was working for a high level Yakuza member which means the sword could be used for a wall hanger, or a "discipline" stick... or to make someone(thing) really, really dead...
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-15-12/1037:28> »
She was making it for the leader of the Shotozumi-gumi, the largest Yakuza clan in Seattle. Suffice to say, his intentions aren't likely to be 'peaceful'.

My Characters