NEWS

commlink idea/question/exploit

• 18 Replies

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« on: <02-16-14/2000:18> »
It seems as if you could boost firewall by slaving your deck to a good commlink. Rather cheaply. Is it legal?

-g
wdg

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <02-17-14/0035:10> »
You could do that I suppose.  It seems like the kind of thing that might limit the performance of the deck though.  I can't see anything against it, perhaps there's something that I'm missing though.  If this was done at my table, I'd probably rule that the deck gets penalties in some areas as a result.  Maybe all the limits are equal to the device rating of the commlink or something.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <02-17-14/0546:02> »
There is one big downside: It means you can't slave things to your deck and let them run Silent with the deck's Sleaze attribute. Without Sleaze, things are real easy to spot in the Matrix. So you're sacrificing your ability to properly protect your team.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-14/1233:30> »
I asked this a while back and also dug up another thread where it had been asked earlier.

I believe the consensus was more-or-less yes, but your persona is then running on the commlink and not the deck.  Commlinks don't have attack or sleaze attributes so the opinions were either you can't perform those actions or you're at 0 rating to perform them.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <02-17-14/1236:13> »
I believe the consensus was more-or-less yes, but your persona is then running on the commlink and not the deck.  Commlinks don't have attack or sleaze attributes so the opinions were either you can't perform those actions or you're at 0 rating to perform them.
That seems like utter bullcrap. I have not seen any rules restricting slaved devices in actions taken, your persona goes through the device you use, and it goes against PAN/WAN rules.

JackVII

• Prime Runner
  • Ah-ah... Temper, Temper
« Reply #5 on: <02-17-14/1254:17> »
I was trying to work my way through the rules but stumled upon something that might potentially screw everything up...

The BBB defines devices on p.234 as a bunch of stuff (including commlinks, etc). They are described as smaller than persona sized, creating a distinction between the two icon types. It also goes on to state:
Quote from: p. 234 BBB
When is a device not a device? When it’s a persona!
Articulating that a device can become a persona and no longer be a device.

When you log onto the Matrix in AR/VR, the icon of the device that you use is subsumed by your persona. It specifically states that there is only one icon, and that's your persona.
Quote from: p.235, BBB
When a person uses a device to connect to the Matrix, the device’s icon is subsumed by the persona’s icon, so it’s basically gone from the Matrix until the persona jacks out.

The sticky part, to me, is what happens to the PAN formed from the device that is now a persona as...
Quote from: p. 233, BBB
Only devices can be slaves, masters, or part of a PAN.
While there are some specific rules concerning the interchangability between devices and personas, it doesn't exist here for all I can tell.

Thoughts?

ETA: I might add, I'm not entirely happy about the whole "the device icon is subsumed by the persona icon" thing in the first place. I think it would make things a lot more sensical if a persona was formed seperately from the device icon.
« Last Edit: <02-17-14/1255:54> by JackVII »
|DTG|Place|Address in Brackets
"Dialogue"
PC/NPC Names
>>Matrix/Comm
"Astral"
<<Text/Email>>
Thoughts/Subvocal

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <02-17-14/1300:36> »
Given how a Rigger uses their RCC in the Matrix, that reading would lead to big problems where an RCC cannot do what it literally is designed for. So I think it's simply about how you yourself aren't part of a PAN/WAN, but your device can be.

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <02-17-14/1322:32> »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <02-17-14/1326:25> »
I got near-half of that topic on my ignore list so can't really check out the arguments. It still defies the rules though.

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <02-17-14/1410:03> »
I got near-half of that topic on my ignore list so can't really check out the arguments. It still defies the rules though.

Providing a cyberdeck with a firewall 7 for the 8,000¥ cost of a Fairlight Caliban (and thus allowing the decker to dumpstat their deck's firewall attribute) didn't really seem to be the intention of the rules, which was why I asked here when I created a decker for our regular game.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <02-17-14/1506:21> »
Like I noted, it means your entire team cannot use your Sleaze attribute to run silent effectively and you can't readily protect them either.

welldressedgent

• Chummer
« Reply #11 on: <02-17-14/1734:58> »
That's a pretty fatal drawback. Unless you're a non-wireless team. Should've known somebody else would have asked this by now. Thx for the link.

-g
wdg

Maelstrom

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <02-18-14/0739:04> »
Like I noted, it means your entire team cannot use your Sleaze attribute to run silent effectively and you can't readily protect them either.

I didn't see that portion of your post, but that's pretty much exactly what I was saying.  I'm not sure why you're coming back aggressively; I was only referencing the topic question to a previous thread where I'd asked the same question.  Anyway, I'm happy to stop beating this dead horse.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #13 on: <02-18-14/0747:22> »
No agression was intended, I just pointed at what I had previously posted.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <02-18-14/0926:56> »
You can slave a device to another device with higher firewall ratings, sure.

But a persona is not a device.
You can't slave your persona to a commlink (or any other device for that matter).

So when you are actually using your cyberdeck (to hack things with) your cyberdeck persona will not benefit from the commlink.