NEWS

[5e IC] Tabula Rasa, Chapter II

• 321 Replies

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #45 on: <11-25-14/1018:11> »
<<@Team [Katsina] We're headed about 200 meters up the hill. Let's walk single-file to conceal our numbers. With luck the falling snow will cover most of our tracks by morning. The forecast is for a few more centimeters tonight. I'm not sure there's any other way to avoid tracks unless Ohanzee wants to levitate us one-by-one.>>

<<@Team [Ace] Agreed.  And don't bunch up too much.  When we get closer to the houses it may be advantageous to approach one at a time.  If we're sure no one's home, I say we get Doc and the crate up there first.>>

As the team starts to move, Ace turns around to walk backward, watching the Rover slowly disappear from view in the lightly falling snow.  Here's to hoping a few centimeters is like 6.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #46 on: <11-25-14/1132:06> »
Summoning an effort of will, Ohanzee stops walking for a second to commit as much focus as possible to peering into the Astral. He raises his gaze to the trees to try confirming Katsina's suspicion, hoping his familiarity with spirits would allow him some chance to recognize them even with the distraction of sustaining his spells and the aches and pains his body insists on reporting to his brain.

Slowly, the shapes begin to take focus...
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <11-25-14/1255:22> »
In the Matrix, Doc leans down and scratches the terrier behind the ears. He knows that if he slips up that the host is going to get a mark on him. The dog will probably nip his fingers, pee on his leg, and start barking until the German Shepherds or the Rottweilers or the Dobermen come along. He would really rather that it not come to that. He sends batch commands to the cameras, maglocks, motion sensors, and thermometer. He catches some lazy code directed toward the maglocks and cleans it up and before it gets transmitted. The Yorkie sniffs his fingers the whole while, convinced that its master is giving right and proper orders to the home's devices. The small dog eventually yips and returns to its regularly scheduled patrol pattern, sniffing the about and looking for unwarranted intrusions.

Outside, Katsina decides that stopping is a worse alternative than progressing. <<@Team [Katsina] Let's keep moving. It could just be a spirit of the mountain, or maybe an air spirit attracted to the storm. These are tribal lands, after all.>>

She leads the way up a slight hill. Chino, the only conscious member of the team without thermographic vision, has the most trouble seeing. Due to the storm there is almost no ambient light. Luckily he has a low-light flashlight, which keeps his from plowing into Katsina in front of him. During a distracted moment his foot slips on some ice underneath the snow. A quick mental twist activates his Hang Time ability, magically reattaching his foot to the ground for better traction.

After a couple minutes, three houses can be made out in the darkness. The north house - the one you approach first since you are walking south on Stillwater Drive - looks dark and vacant. So does the second home. Thermographically, the third home is much brighter than the other two, which suggests there are people home. There are no lights on, likely due to Aspen's outdoor lighting ordinances which were written to help preserve the small-town character, eliminate light pollution, and conserve energy.

The rich folks don't like their houses too cramped, so there are at least 25 meters of space between each home. This space is mostly filled with scraggly aspen trees. They won't stop a dedicated observer but they're better than a wide-open yard or lawn. If the team is careful to limit their outdoor movement (and fireballs and gunfire) during daylight hours then they should be able to occupy the house undetected.

You arrive at the driveway to the middle house. There's a motion-activated light over the garage. Per Doc's instructions, it doesn't turn on. The front door is at the top of some stairs to the left of the driveway.

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #48 on: <11-25-14/1629:31> »
With the house, and hopefully warmth, practically close enough to touch, the dwarf is tempted to pick up his pace, get inside and relieve the burden of maintaining his spells. But something in the back of his mind tells him that this desire to take shortcuts as the end is in sight is what got people killed. After quickly conferring with Sam over text chat, Ohanzee broadcasts his plan of action.

>> @Team: Let's do this smart. Katsina, you're still on point. Give the place a good once over and head in. Try to keep a low profile - the spirit has you covered, but it best serves them that help themselves. Once you are in, give the all clear and we'll follow. Sam, set Doc down gently, I want you to cover the house in case anything gets the jump on her. Chino, you're on lookout. Make sure we aren't surprised while we stand here shivering. Doc, you're on overwatch. If it's larger than a cat and moves within 100m of us, I want to know about it. Ace, sneak around the back so we approach from two directions. Same as Katsina - keep a low profile and sweep the area for any nastiness. Weapons at the ready. If there is any reason to think this isn't a safe spot to lay low for 24 hours, we bug out. Sam's the expert when it comes to breaching and tactics, so until we're safely inside, he's giving the orders. Let's move.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #49 on: <11-25-14/1730:50> »
If Katsina shows any pique, it's hidden behind her mask.

<<@Team [Katsina] I scouted the place on the astral three minutes ago. It was empty. I've got my spell up too. Maybe there's an Ares Duelist wandering around the house like a bladed butler but I trust Doc would have picked up on that.>>

Still, she follows directions. She skips her claymore - reasoning that it is too large to wield effectively indoors - in favor of a handful of small throwing knives. Advancing up the stairs to the front door, she takes care not to slip on ice or snow like Chino almost did. She pauses when she reaches the front door.

<<@Team [Katsina] There's a storm door. It's not completely closed. Might be broken but doesn't show any obvious signs of B&E.>> She studies the door more closely, then swears lowly and sweetly under her breath. <<Whatever you do, don't touch the doorknob unless you want to leave behind several layers of skin and DNA. It's metal and has been exposed to the weather since the storm door is broken.>> She reaches forward gingerly, tapping the doorknob with her gloved hands to make sure they won't stick. She pulls her hand back quickly and flexes it a few times. <<Seriously. Ace, if the doorknob is exposed metal out back, think of a new approach.>>

8-bit

« Reply #50 on: <11-25-14/1959:02> »
Chino nods silently, the half-crazed smile is gone from his face. He gets into position and looks out, checking for any strange sights or sounds. Chino realizes that he is shivering. This place just keeps getting fragging colder by the minute.

As Katsina and the others work their magic, Chino attempts to stay alert. Surprisingly, he doesn't experience another episode. Hopefully that's a good sign. Or it's just the calm before the storm, Chino thinks darkly.

Chino traces the tattoo on his face with his hand. It seems to be some sort of elaborate pattern, but he has no idea about it's origin. He knows it gives him sight of the Astral world, but he has no memory of what the Astral world looks like, or how seeing it might affect him in his current condition. No time like the present, I suppose.

Chino braces himself and wills the focus to activate; the Astral world unfolding before him as the barriers of his mundane sight fall away.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #51 on: <11-25-14/2110:03> »
"You there, you here, you here, you two there and there." He points with his fingers and speaks to the team sub-vocally as the team approaches the house, making sure everyone can see everyone's blindspot and watch eachother's backs.

This is a traveling overwatch formation. Standard stuff for most military personnel. Is that me? Am I ex-military? He briefly glances down at the rifle cradled in his arm. Seems likely.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <11-25-14/2225:20> »
Doc tosses one more doggie treat to the Patrol IC before exiting the host.  Switching modes is always a shock, even more so droping into the bracing cold of the Colorado night.  Luckily he's been keeping an eye on things via Sam's goggles and Chino's earbuds so the physical location disorientation isn't that extreme.  But damn is it cold.

A bit cavalierly, Doc stands up looks around, checks his cyber shotgun and DNIs, "Caution is good and all, but we've got double overwatch and triple scans on this place.  I'm fraggin' COLD."

That said, he's still checkin' their 6 and watching on AR for any devices coming into the area.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #53 on: <11-26-14/1125:05> »
Ace falls into formation at Sam's command, and it's second-nature.  This feels right.  As they approach the house and Ohanzee's orders come over the comm, Ace answers, <<@Team [Ace] Roger that.  Double-checking that Doc got all the motion sensors, right?>>  Upon receiving the affirmative, he peels off from the group and approaches the north side of the house, with his machine pistol parallel to his leg and keeps close to the facade.  It almost looks like real rock; this is some nice work, he notes as he moves around the back.  At the back corner, Ace drops to his knees and peeks the barrel of his Ares Crusader around the blind spot.  Convinced there's nothing out back, Ace again stays close to the facade and checks out the back door.  Alright, can we get in here?   
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #54 on: <11-26-14/1733:40> »
Ace disappears into the night, gliding like a ghost around the back of the house. There's a small yard and an enclosed patio that that has a covered hot tub. He opens the storm door to the patio and prepares for entry. Per Katsina's warning, Ace checks the handle with his thermographic vision before proceeding. It looks fine, and a gentle touch suggests that it won't stick to his skin.

He signals that he is in position. Katsina confirms, then waits for the go order. Sam, satisfied with the situation, delivers a clipped "Go!" into his subvocal microphone. Katsina quickly twists the doorknob, not leaving her gloved hand on the freezing metal any longer than necessary.

Ace and Katsina are in the house in an instant, sweeping through it quickly. Ace finds himself in the kitchen first while Katsina goes through the living room up front. They exchange a glance in the dining room before Ace clears the master bedroom and bathroom while Katsina slips up the stairs to investigate the second floor. Doc keeps an eye on things in AR; none of the motion detectors are triggered, no alarms go off.

Chino follows them in and checks the other bedrooms and bathroom downstairs. Sam and Doc find the stairs leading down the garage and go to check it. As Doc had seen, there's a snowmobile and an ATV, plus a good deal of gardening equipment and a tool set. All of the tools look brand new. Sam, poking around, finds a 20-liter gas can that's mostly full.

<<Everyone [Everyone] Clear.>>

Ohanzee makes his way in slowly, careful not to bash the cargo against the door frame that's not much wider the crate. He closes the door behind him, immediately grateful for the relative warmth of the house and the lack of wind inside.

Examining things more closely, the house seems larger than what a corper with no wife and no kids would need for himself. It has three bedrooms downstairs plus an office and a sleeping loft upstairs. There are two bathrooms downstairs - one off the master bedroom, another shared by the other two bedrooms - and a third bathroom upstairs. Also, the house is certainly nice, but it's nowhere as nice as you would expect a million-nuyen house in Aspen to be. Or maybe that's a commentary on Aspen, where a house like this does cost more than a million.

Still, it should suit your immediate needs. There are three queen beds downstairs, two twin beds upstairs in the loft, and a freezer full of frozen food. Most of it is bachelor food - pizzas, burgers, and the like - but right now it sounds delicious. You realize that it's been hours since you've eaten and many hours more since you slept (Sam's short nap notwithstanding). You take a deep breath, warm and (seemingly) safe for the first time in memory. It's time to take care of some physical needs, then to regroup about next steps.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #55 on: <11-27-14/0119:01> »
Doc pokes around some of the supplies and equipment in the garage, lingering a bit near some of the bags a little bit but then moves on.  Once inside, he makes sure all of the windows are darkened or the shades are drawn so that none of thier movements or lights will attract any attention.  Grabbing all of the pizza he gets those heating so as to feed everyone as quickly as possible.  Sleep is going to become a real need very shortly.
<<<@Team [Doc] Foods up, cooker will send a message once its ready.  Hope everyone likes frozen pizza.>>>

With the pizza started he heads back to the garage to check out some of the gear in there.  While he's back in there he takes the opportunity to reboot his deck.  Once the system comes back online he goes about re-applying marks to all that have invited him and slaves their gear.  Then he has everything run silently including his deck.

Having found nothing particularly useful to himself in there he heads back to the kitchen and starts scarfing down some of the pizza.
« Last Edit: <11-27-14/0311:53> by Zweiblumen »

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #56 on: <11-27-14/1722:55> »
Once inside, Ohanzee finds a space to place the crate that is not covered by the cameras and is as shielded from the outside on the astral as possible. He drops the invisibility and brings it gently to the ground. If only there were a proper basement so that the crate could be hidden within the Earth's aura, but the vines and earth and wood components of the house will have to do.

The smell of the pizza makes concentrating difficult, and the pressure on his bladder moreso. Everyone seems to be busying themselves, so he takes the opportunity to discreetly disappear and take care of various biological needs. He's tempted to check the hot water and get a proper bath, but decides against it - food and drink take priority. He heads out into the kitchen and finds the team gathered there eating. Without a word he tears into a slice of pizza, then another. As the second slice vanishes quickly into his gullet, he browses the refrigerator for something to drink.

The place is well stocked with alcohol, and he reaches for a beer, but thinks better of it and closes the refrigerator, heads to the cupboards, finds the glasses, and gets water from the tap. On instinct, he sniffs it before drinking and finds it crisp and clean. Clean water from a tap - this is definitely a nice neighborhood. He downs the entire glass in one gulp, refills it, grabs a third slice of pizza, and finally sits down. He can feel himself thinking clearly again.

"Once we are finished here, Ace, you are in charge of securing this place. We've had one strike team make an attempt on us, I don't expect that whomever sent them has given up. We need to be ready before we can properly rest. When we do hit the hay, I want two people on watch at all times - two hour shifts. I expect we can decide among ourselves who will take what watch. I'll take the sunrise shift since our spirit protection will fade at that time, so I'll have to decide on the best course of action at that point."

"Doc, Chino, the rover is yours once Sam gives the go ahead. The sooner we can be rid of it, the better. Sam, coordinate with Ace - some fireworks might be useful in the event of a breach. Kat, you and I will assist however needed, though if you have any ideas for toys that might be useful, get those made." His gaze falls on Katsina's collection of throwing knives as he speaks the last part. "Any thoughts on how to proceed after we've rested up are welcome. We've been in frantic survival mode for as long as I can remember" he smiles at the joke "and I'm not sure I am aware of all of our options now that we have some time to sit and think."

"Also, I want to know about our neighbors. The high Matrix defenses on the house next door concern me. There's a reason, and it probably isn't just that the owner has too much money. We'll also need a rough schedule of when people aren't around so that we can come an go unseen, even during the day. And on that topic, we need wheels. I doubt we have the funds to buy any, so we'll need to appropriate one discreetly. Doc, Chino, that's your next task after the rover is dealt with. I'd prefer that task not wait until morning in case we need to move on someone else's schedule."

"Lastly, it might be a good idea to leave as little trace as possible" He looks at the empty boxes of frozen pizza and makes a shopping list so that they can be replaced on the next trip to town. "If Mr. Johnson never realizes we were here, then the authorities, or our pursuers, won't scour the place for DNA and evidence. It'll make clean-up easier and allow us the option of not having to send up a flare by burning this place. Or they might find us here anyway and it's all for nothing, but I'd like to leave the option open. We'll call that plan A."

He waits for the others to speak up, but already his mind is zoning out. He'd only been up for a few hours, but he knew that if he could just relax for an hour or so, he'd feel so much better.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <11-27-14/2058:43> »
Doc wearily eyes Ohanzee for a moment. After he's gone down the list of tasks he pipes up. "I appreciate the sense of caution and being careful, but if the rest of the team is anything like me, folks are going to need more rest than that. 2 hour shifts are rough of folks. I suggest we rely on the resources we have, such as spirits and agents, as well as physical security to get as much solid rest as we can.  I think we can trust our tools to do their jobs so that we can recover from the rather difficult time we've had.  We all need rest so we can deal with the shitstorm that's invariably coming our way.  Just my two cents. I'll follow your lead if you feel strongly on the issue."

Doc goes back to finish another slice and grabs a beer. Once the discussion winds down, he, Chino and Sam will deal with the rover.

8-bit

« Reply #58 on: <11-28-14/0125:04> »
Chino gazes in wonder as the Astral World hits him. Sure, maybe it's not so wondrous for others, but he doesn't remember drek, so give him a break.

He takes a moment to survey his own body, noticing several extremely well fitted pieces of 'ware integrated into his body. He looks towards Uncle Sam and notices his aura is also tinged with the colors of implants. He glances towards Ohanzee and has to quickly look away as his aura shines brightly on the Astral Plane. He finally rests his eyes on Doc, and notices something out of the ordinary. Something, unnatural; unlike anything he's seen before. He looks back towards his own body, and those of his teammates. The traces are there, although they are much stronger in Doc's body.

What the frag? I definitely need Ohanzee to check me on this; this is just downright strange. Chino makes a mental note to discuss this with Ohanzee later, after they aren't busy trying to cover their tracks.

Remembering what he originally activated the focus for, Chino quickly glances back towards the open space, looking for any tails. Coast looks clear.

He deactivates his focus and settles back into the disappointing realm of the mundane.

Everyone is poised to go in, and they motion towards Chino to get into position. He does so, and they quickly clear the house.

At the smell of food, Chino's belly grumbles. He just realizes how hungry he was. Funny how running for your life suppresses your appetite. He couldn't remember the last time he ate, literally. After finishing up checking out the house, he settles down and gets himself four slices of pizza. He quickly gobbles down his first slice, and is on his second when Ohanzee starts speaking.

Chino listens as he finishes the rest of his pizza. Hell, who knows when they'll have access to food again. Chino gets up and gets another few slices to devour and a beer to wash it all down as the others talk. As the conversation ends, Chino finishes the rest of his pizza. Leaning back, he thinks for a moment. Maybe more than a moment, the chair is feeling really good right about now. Like, really good. Right before he drifts off to sleep, Chino manages to shake himself awake.

He glances around, everyone else seems to be doing the same thing; barely keeping themselves awake. Even Ohanzee seems burnt out. "How long do we have for the spirit to hang around? I'm dead tired right now, and I'm not even sure I could make a two hour shift. I'm not sure anyone else here can either, but if anyone wants to volunteer, be my guest."

I might be dead tired, but I don't even know if I can sleep. Who knows what will happen when I fall asleep? He thinks morosely, Damned if I do, damned if I don't. There ain't no rest for the wicked. Ah drek, I'm mixing stuff up again.

Chino looks around again, and it seems like no one else has any energy to use. He rubs his eyes in an effort to stay awake, trying to suppress a yawn.
« Last Edit: <11-28-14/1331:26> by 8-bit »

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #59 on: <11-28-14/0240:10> »
It's 02:30 by the time you've cleared the house, relieved yourself, cooked the pizzas, and assembled in the kitchen. The house is warming up as the furnace pushes the temperature to 22C. The kitchen is even warmer with the oven turning out frozen pizza at 250C.

Katsina takes off her black gloves for the first time, revealing creamy white skin. She takes her long coat off gingerly, figuring that there's no graceful way to sit down with a claymore in the concealed sheath of the coat. She props the coat up against the wall, the claymore providing it some structure. Sitting on a stool along the kitchen counter, she pushes up her sleeves and takes a single piece of pizza. She sniffs it through her mask, then pushes it away with distaste.

Katsina nods at Ohanzee's outline of the situation and plan of action, although privately she might wonder how realistic it is to accomplish it all and get some sleep before it is light out. Her commlink tells her the time.

"Sunrise is at 07:15," she says factually. "That's less than five hours from now. The forecast is for light snow until 10:00, then cold and cloudy the rest of the day. Any tracks we make after that won't be covered up." She glances around to see if the tired brains understand.

"I feel okay. A little slow from the spellcasting" - you're not sure if she means drain or the spell she is sustaining, maybe both - "but I can make it to sunrise. Ohanzee, you're the most banged up out of all of us. You can crash until then and then take over with a spirit while I sleep. But I imagine it's going to be a full day or two before you and Doc are fully recovered."

The thought makes her wonder how safe they are. Her spell is telling her that they are safe, but another Nissan Hound could cover the distance between the edge of her spell and the house in mere seconds. That's better than nothing, but she glances back at her claymore and resolves not to let it get too far out of reach.

She looks at Ohanzee. "If we're going to be here a while, you and I could ward the room with the crate. That will take hours to do properly, so maybe leave that for tomorrow. Later today, I mean."

She pauses again, wondering how long a while might reasonably be. And what are the odds they can keep their presence hidden the whole while? Are they really going to go grocery shopping to replace the pizza? Are they going to do laundry to clean the sheets they sleep on, all to hide the fact that they were ever there? The glamorous life of a shadowrunner.

"Once we've all had a chance to rest, we need to sit down and figure out what we know individually. I'm sure we all have contacts that can help shed light on things. Maybe then we can piece together what happened to us and figure out what we should do next."

She looks to Ace. "Whatever you need to make the house secure, let me know. I'll help however I can."