NEWS

[SR5]Technomancer-Dwarf - in need of help

• 17 Replies

TheDai

• Chummer
« on: <05-30-14/0647:10> »
Good Morning everyone,

Since I bought the SR5 Corebook, i'm desperately trying to create a Technomacer, but whatever I do, I don't like how it turns out in the end. Everytime it seems I'm missing something important. And I begin to slowly lose my mind over this. @__@

Now ... certain aspects of the character are set in stone:
1. It has to be a dwarf
2. The Negative Qualities are all part of the Story, so I wouldn't want to change them.

Story in short terms:
He is part of a small Deckergroup in Seattle, known for "AR-Vandalism". None of them are especially good at what they are trying to achieve, nor do they have appropriate Hardware to do so. But still, they want to be known, they want to matter in the Matrix. He strifes for a better life for him and his brother (NQ Dependents, and also a Decker) and, at some time, defeat a GOD in Matrix Combat. (I know, it's impossible... but that's what dreams are for, aren't they?). Using Psyche gives him the feeling of having everything under control, something he desperately needs.

Prio:
A: Resonance
B: Skills (36/5)
C: Meta (Dwarf/1)
D: Attributes (14)
E: Ressources

Attributes:
KON 3
AGI 1 (2)
REA 1 (2)
STR 3
WIL 7
INT 5
LOG 5
CHA 2 (3)

RES 6
EDG 2

Qualities:
Positive:
3 Quick Healer
8 Focused Concentration (2)
Negative:
9 Addiction Psyche
9 Dependents (Brother)
5 Incompetent - Close Combat

-10 AGI from 1 to 2
-10 REA from 1 to 2
-15 CHA from 2 to 3
- 2 4000$
Endkarma: 0

Skills (36/5)
Resonance:
6+1 Compile (5Points from Prio A; 1 Point from Skills, 1 Point for Machine Sprite spec.)
6+1 Register (5Points from Prio A; 1 Point from Skills, 1 Point for Machine Sprite spec.)
0 Decompile

Matrix:
Group Electronics 5 (Software, Computer, Hardware)
6 Electronic Warfare
5 Cybercombat
6 + 1 Hacking - Hack on the Fly

Other:
2 Perception
4 Pistols
4 Negotiation
4 Ettiquette

Knowledge:
Science Fiction 3
Street Drugs 4
Seattle Street - Redmond 4
Gambling 4
Matrix Security 2
Matrix Jargon 3

Complex Forms (5 from Prio A Resonance):
Static Veil
Stitches
Editor
Infusion of [Sleaze]
Infusion of [Attack]

Connections (9 Points, CHA * 3)
Decker 3/1 (Brother)
Dealer/Informant 2/3

Ressources: (6000 + 4000 Karma)

2200 Lifestyle Low (Dangerous Area)
725 Ares Predator V
1500 Actioneer Armor
2500 SIN (1)
200 License (Gun Carrying) (1)
100 Commlink (Meta-Link)
100 Medkit 1
400 Psyche (2x)

My biggest problem, right now, are the skills I believe. Being at least "almost" as good as a normal Decker, and being able to Create a few sprites costs so many Skillpoints. I tried to push Skills to A, but it didn't work out as I hoped.
When it comes to Hosts, I don't think I could even start to think getting into one higher than Rank 4, and even that is probably just a matter of luck. As for the streets, a machine sprite should ensure my survival a bit. Right now I'm thinking about switching to a light pistol (might make more sense for this character).

What would you change about this Character?

Regards,
Dai
One dagger in the night is more valuable, than thousand swords in the morning.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <05-30-14/0943:38> »
Looks ok, dwarves give you the brilliant ability to have two living persona stats at 6 so I built mine around that bonus. I'll post mine up after work for comparison but looks like a solid start
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <05-30-14/0955:53> »
Why don't You use A for Skills
B for Resonance, C Dwarf, D Attributes and E Resources ?
You start with Resonance only 5 instead of 6 but You get 10 Skillpoints and 5 Skillgrouppoints ?

I tried to push Skills to A, but it didn't work out as I hoped.
?? Why didn't it work out ?

HokaHey
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

TheDai

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <05-30-14/1218:54> »
I tried to push Skills to A, but it didn't work out as I hoped.
?? Why didn't it work out ?

HokaHey
Medicineman

I'd start with Reso 4 and the need to put my 1 Special Attribute Point to it, in order to increase it to 5. => Only 1 Point in Edge.
Also I would need to take out 3 complex Forms, and I don't know which ones. Most of them seem very strong.

Fading in Complex Forms and Sprites is immense, and with Reso at B, it feels like I'm weak at what I am supposed to do.
Skills at prio A would mean I could be more of an "allrounder" i.e. surviving longer, for the sake of being a worse decker.
Which is the better option?

Triskavanski

• Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <05-30-14/1222:46> »
the firs thing is infusion of sleeze. You'd have to run it at force 5 every time at least.
Concepts are great, but implementation sucks. Why not improve it?

Triskavanski's House Rules

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #5 on: <05-30-14/1241:56> »
I know it sounds quite unresonable, but think about loosing 1 essence for mods. I think only about two biomods, and/or two Cybermods:

Cerebral Booster: +RTG To LOG. That is a lot, up to 3. First it is your data procesing, second it is your max for registered sprites.
Pain Editor: That is mad, but turning of those DMG modyfiers when in really hot action can be sometimes a game changer. As you have already high WIL it should not be a problem. But, if you would like to drive in the future, Vechicle combat AND matrix combat at once,... are quite dangerous.

SkillWires & SkillJack: There was a discussion about diagnostics... Still I'am not convinced how should it work, but if proper MG, you could easily get a nice dice bonus to all skills on the wires, for a pool far greater than 6. Of course skill points would have to go to Computers, Registering, and other natural mancer skills, as there are no skillsoft for them.

About Forms... There are some really cool. Transcendend Grid, Resonance veil and Pupeteer. Of course Infiusion of Sleaze, and Infusion of firewall are nice, especially for combat. But that should be all you need
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #6 on: <05-30-14/1304:08> »
here's what i got with mine;

Priorities:
A: Resonance (6 +2 R5 skills, +5 CF)
B: Attribs (20)
C: Meta (dwarf, 1)
D: Skills (22)
E: Resources (6k)

Attribs:
BOD 3 (+0)
STR 3 (+0)
AGI 2 (+1)
REA 3 (+2)
CHA 5 (+4)
INT 5 (+4)
LOG 6 (+5)      20/20
WIL 6 (+4)

RES 7
EDG 2 {+10 karma}
ESS 6

Qualities: Exceptional Attribute (RES) -14
           Sinner (national: UCAS) +5
           Common, Mild Allergy- Seafood +10
           Moderate Addiction: Nicotine +9
Net +25 Karma

Free:
Compiling {6} (Crack +2)
Registering 5

Individual:           22/22
Hacking 6
Cybercombat 4
EWar 2 (encryption +2)
Software 6
Computer 3 (Matrix perception +2)
Automatics 2 (MP +2)

Etiquette 1 {2k}
First aid 1 {2k}
Con 1 {2k}
Disguise 1 {2k}
Athletics Group 1 {5k}
Resonance Spike
Static Bomb
Static Veil

Weapons + Armour:
Cavalier Evanator (MP) 775
+concealable holster 150 
Lined Coat 900            900

Helmet 100
-image link 25
-motion scanner 100
-microtransceiver 200     425
2250 total
-SSF R1 250               850

Glasses R4 400
-Flare Comp 250
-Vision Mag 250
-Vision Enhance 1 500
-Image Link 25           1625

Renraku Sensei Commlink  1000
Fake Sin R3              7500
-Fake Gun License R3      600
-Fake Vehicle License R3  600
12175 total                                    14425 spent
>dwarf +20%

Yamaha Growler     5000                        26000 spent
Data chip x10        50                       
Standard tags (100) 100
Stealth Tags (50)    50
Bug scanner R6      600
Area Jammer R4      800
Directional " R6   1200
Gold Credstick      100
Disguise Kit        500
Medkit R2           500
Casual Clothing      50

Ammo:
Regular x200        400
x5 spare clips       25

you've clearly got the edge in skills over mine, but i prioritised stats + resonance in order to get best living persona + starting resonance i could.
bit of an edge in terms of gear, not that it matters hugely but i think you've got a pretty decent load out tbh
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-30-14/1307:44> »
I know it sounds quite unresonable, but think about loosing 1 essence for mods. I think only about two biomods, and/or two Cybermods:

Cerebral Booster: +RTG To LOG. That is a lot, up to 3. First it is your data procesing, second it is your max for registered sprites.
Pain Editor: That is mad, but turning of those DMG modyfiers when in really hot action can be sometimes a game changer. As you have already high WIL it should not be a problem. But, if you would like to drive in the future, Vechicle combat AND matrix combat at once,... are quite dangerous.

Having high Data Processing is a nice stat but not as important as Attack/Sleaze, IMO. Increasing it by 2 at the cost of 1 Resonance (as good as you can get at chargen)...don't really consider it worth it. Now more registered sprites is nice, but consider whether having, say, 5 vs 7 is really that important.

TMs should not do Matrix combat pretty much ever.
Playability > verisimilitude.

Booze

• Chummer
  • Johny Walker, the street name Booze came by itself
« Reply #8 on: <05-30-14/1326:48> »

Having high Data Processing is a nice stat but not as important as Attack/Sleaze, IMO. Increasing it by 2 at the cost of 1 Resonance (as good as you can get at chargen)...don't really consider it worth it. Now more registered sprites is nice, but consider whether having, say, 5 vs 7 is really that important.

Csjarrat had just build quite hard combat TM
Booze's VU93 Profile
Im From EU, so my time zone is +7 from forum time, when you sleep I read ;)

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <05-30-14/1448:14> »
From experience, I pretty much never see entering cybercombat as worthwhile for a PC. If it's against IC, more will just be spawned (i.e. low risk, high reward). If it's against an NPC decker or TM, more may not be spawned but I have rarely seen a gain from slugging it out.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <05-30-14/1455:25> »
It's possible to 'win' against IC, especially with the help of Sprites. Only 1 spawns per IP, so it's possible to beat them down enough to still get things done.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #11 on: <05-30-14/1456:10> »

The LOG boost is more for the bonus to the majority of Matrix Actions rather than Data Processing.  For a "traditional hacker" technomancer, I'd say it's worth it.  Not a necessity, but a fair trade.  The other two augments are really not too helpful at character generation (Pain Editor can't be bought then), but in the long run they can be really damn good.  My TM has Used Rating 4 Skilljack and Skillwires, and I plan on moving them up to Betaware Rating 5, so I can make room to also include a Pain Editor.  Very longterm goal, especially since I keep spending nuyen on other stuff...  But when it happens it'll be massive.

From experience, I pretty much never see entering cybercombat as worthwhile for a PC. If it's against IC, more will just be spawned (i.e. low risk, high reward). If it's against an NPC decker or TM, more may not be spawned but I have rarely seen a gain from slugging it out.

Usually I see cyberduels end up as just nuke-jousting.  By which I mean, it's a race to strike first, since a decker can easily do enough matrix damage to brick prettymuch anything in one attack.  A TM usually won't have the Attack attribute for it (unless they're an elf hacker/face, which works) but a Fault Sprite compiled at level 6 or higher can do it.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #12 on: <05-30-14/1623:03> »

The LOG boost is more for the bonus to the majority of Matrix Actions rather than Data Processing.  For a "traditional hacker" technomancer, I'd say it's worth it.  Not a necessity, but a fair trade.  The other two augments are really not too helpful at character generation (Pain Editor can't be bought then), but in the long run they can be really damn good.  My TM has Used Rating 4 Skilljack and Skillwires, and I plan on moving them up to Betaware Rating 5, so I can make room to also include a Pain Editor.  Very longterm goal, especially since I keep spending nuyen on other stuff...  But when it happens it'll be massive.
That's true, and a pretty good plan for long-term advancement to make use of as much of that 1 Essence as possible. What else have you been buying?

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #13 on: <05-30-14/1630:51> »
That's true, and a pretty good plan for long-term advancement to make use of as much of that 1 Essence as possible. What else have you been buying?

Recently, a few weapons (Firebug has two skillsofts currently, Automatics and Pilot Ground Craft) and some vehicle upgrades.  She's a courier/smuggler mostly, so even though there's no hard stats for it, I bought Chameleon Coating for her bike which cost her 16k.  And then the weapons were a machine pistol and an assault rifle to make the most of how flexible the Automatics group is.

Skillsofts are hella expensive, though I play with a houserule that is the old 4th edition pirated software rule.

It works out though that even though she's a technomancer, she has more than enough stuff to spend money on to never feel like there's nothing to use nuyen for.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

TheDai

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <05-30-14/1924:38> »
Thanks for the answers erveryone :)

If I change to Skills A ( I guess it's an option to use every bit Karma earned the first runs to increase Edge to at least 3), what should I get for the Skillpoints?

[...]

About Forms... There are some really cool. Transcendend Grid, Resonance veil and Pupeteer. Of course Infiusion of Sleaze, and Infusion of firewall are nice, especially for combat. But that should be all you need
Cerebral Booster sound nice but ... uhm ... I'd need 90k Nuyen for that :O This will probably happen in ... about ... never. :o I could drop Attributes to E, buy a rating 2 Booster and have a +/- 0 advantage :D

Forms ... I thought at least stitching was needed.

Perhaps, I need to ask this question:
What Spritelevel do you think is reasonable? I thought about a 5 Machine Sprite for AR stuff and in VR a 4/5 Data and Infiltration Sprite. If I read correctly, telling my Sprite to do something is always a simple Action, so it doesn't make much sense to run around with more than two at once. (?)
In Hosts, I thought I could increase my sleaze via Infusion of Sleaze to 7, which ( i hope) could get me around rather undetected as long as possible ^^

The only viable stuff to do Matrix Damage seems to be Data Spike and Resonance Veil and ... can I ever get enough dices to actually do any damage? to anything? (Not with Charisma at 3, I'm pretty sure at that, but even if I increase it with a complex Form.)

the firs thing is infusion of sleeze. You'd have to run it at force 5 every time at least.
and ... uhm ... huh? How? Why? Help?

@Csjarrat
Your TM also looks nice, but I don't think I could live with Skills at D. That just seems wrong to me :o Especially with +50% learning times, from my Dependents Quality. The Attributes look awesome, I wish I could have those.
« Last Edit: <05-30-14/1930:59> by TheDai »