NEWS

Hermetic verses Shaman

• 101 Replies

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #30 on: <04-02-14/0618:46> »
Cram + psyche are good for mage too. And with high logic, you can easily beat the addiction test.

Until you don't.   There is a non-zero chance of failure, which means failure is statistically inevitable.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #31 on: <04-02-14/1601:12> »
Psyche isn't a problem, really. It's got a Rating of 6, so 5 weeks time. At Threshold 2, you'd have to use it in week 1, 3 AND 5 to risk addiction. How often is that going to happen? Cram has a rating of 4 so 7 weeks, but a threshold of 3 so we're talking week 1/4/7 to face a test. But let's say you use a lot but game the system enough so you only face a threshold of 1. As Psychological, you likely have 11 dice, that's 2048/177147 odds, ~1/86. So once every two~three runs you'd take a test at those odds, which means you have an average of 200 runs or so under your belt when you fail it once.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #32 on: <04-03-14/0019:37> »
Psyche isn't a problem, really. It's got a Rating of 6, so 5 weeks time. At Threshold 2, you'd have to use it in week 1, 3 AND 5 to risk addiction. How often is that going to happen? Cram has a rating of 4 so 7 weeks, but a threshold of 3 so we're talking week 1/4/7 to face a test. But let's say you use a lot but game the system enough so you only face a threshold of 1. As Psychological, you likely have 11 dice, that's 2048/177147 odds, ~1/86. So once every two~three runs you'd take a test at those odds, which means you have an average of 200 runs or so under your belt when you fail it once.

Or, blow your first roll and be on the way to addiction in week 1. :D

Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

firebug

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
  • Scraping the bottom of the Resonance Barrel
« Reply #33 on: <04-03-14/0026:29> »
Yeah, but with that luck you'd probably just have gotten mangled in your first run and lost both your arms to critical glitches on the recovery test, so it's whatever.
I'm Madpath Moth on reddit (and other sites).  Feel free to PM me errata questions!
Jeeze.  It would almost sound stupid until you realize we're talking about an immortal elf clown sword fighting a dragon ghost in a mall.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #34 on: <04-03-14/0030:16> »
Hey, with the hundreds of rolls a player has to make during the course of a single run, odds say, that even "sure things" are going to end in outright failure eventually, yet we still come back to the table for more dice abuse the next week :P  (or for me, the next day!)

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #35 on: <04-03-14/0349:13> »

Or, blow your first roll and be on the way to addiction in week 1. :D
That's not possible, since you ONLY roll at the end of week 5 (Psyche) or 7 (Cram), so it'd take you at least 3 runs (or less if you got a run spanning 3+ weeks) before that happens.

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <04-03-14/0449:42> »
Hey, with the hundreds of rolls a player has to make during the course of a single run, odds say, that even "sure things" are going to end in outright failure eventually, yet we still come back to the table for more dice abuse the next week
"That which cannot occur through happenstance will not occur through intent."

Taejix

• Chummer
« Reply #37 on: <04-03-14/1006:22> »
There is always the option of using Edge to re-roll that 1/86 chance of failure. I wouldn't worry about it too much personally.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #38 on: <04-03-14/1103:03> »
I wouldn't allow a player to Edge their way out of an Addiction test.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <04-03-14/1531:34> »
I wouldn't allow a player to Edge their way out of an Addiction test.

Neither would I.
"You made the Bed, now sleep in it."

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #40 on: <04-03-14/1559:08> »
Now lie in it, to die in it's the crime. Speaking of crimes: What DOES your avatar read?

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <04-03-14/1616:33> »
Now lie in it, to die in it's the crime. Speaking of crimes: What DOES your avatar read?

It's a picture (apparently) of my daughter's new puppy.... (which means... MY new dog in 3 years :-[ )

The caption reads: "Don't make me get up.. I might fall over!"

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #42 on: <04-03-14/1623:45> »
Be glad it ain't a cute little Tibetan Mastiff pup, because those turn into this:

http://imgur.com/4K61Z1S

Reaver

• Prime Runner
« Reply #43 on: <04-03-14/1627:29> »
I could live with that :P

I'm a dog lover, and they seem to love me back (judging by how many just wonder up to me)

But my lifestyle is not good for pets.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #44 on: <04-03-14/1822:37> »
Be glad it ain't a cute little Tibetan Mastiff pup, because those turn into this:

http://imgur.com/4K61Z1S
MOUSE!