NEWS

[SR5] Please help me build a street samurai

• 23 Replies

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <11-01-13/1243:36> »
A GM "abusing" the rules to "punish" a player for making an (arguably) rules-legal character...

It is nothing more than using a logical reason to apply an in-game rule to close a ridiculous loophole.

That said, it does need to be stated before character generation even begins.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <11-01-13/1307:57> »
A GM "abusing" the rules to "punish" a player for making an (arguably) rules-legal character...

It is nothing more than using a logical reason to apply an in-game rule to close a ridiculous loophole.

there is no loophole here.
By RAW, firing gun(at least one-hand gun), use that limb attribute.

"Cyberlimbs have their own Strength and Agility ratings.
When a particular limb is used for a test (such as
leading an attack with your cyberarm), use the attribute
for that limb
(natural or cyber)"

SR5 Core rulebook p455

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <11-01-13/1312:46> »

By nature it is a loophole because of what is possible that some do--the cheese of dumping Natural Agility to 1 and just customizing and enhancing a limb up to 9. It is a loophole because it bypasses the Augmented Maximum rule, thus it should be closed up by any means necessary.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-01-13/1323:56> »

for that limb
(natural or cyber)"

SR5 Core rulebook p455

I've always read that line as specifically referring to melee attacks actually.

Beyond the balance issue (the good old Agility 1(9) character) what constitutes using a particular limb, close coordination or everything else is hugely subjective and dependent on GM call and table rules.

That said we can find a dozen places to argue the cyberlimb rules without cluttering up this thread.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #19 on: <11-01-13/1339:24> »

for that limb
(natural or cyber)"

SR5 Core rulebook p455
Short version of the controversy: Normally, the price paid is decent. Munchkin players with cyberarms are, however, hard to target without basically ruining their fun. As such, the most viable strategy against cyberlimb abuse is quite simple: GM fiat. The GM decides whether the character is allowed, and an Agi1/Str1 Agi9/Str9 character should not be allowed to play. This prevents the player from throwing a hissyfit when facing the correct consequences on their character.

Unfortunately such exploits are so expected that it's almost impossible for many to assume a character isn't a munchkin when they take cyberarms, which makes it hard to find a decent character with them.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

martinchaen

« Reply #20 on: <11-01-13/1409:34> »
OP, you're free to use anything from my character concept which includes four cybernetic replacements, and over 400k spent on 'ware.

Modify as you see fit.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=12790.0

Kincaid

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #21 on: <11-01-13/1425:19> »
I went back and tweaked by guy so both his arms are equally agile--it's a net loss of one die for his ranged attacks, but it makes more sense to me, to be honest.  I also swapped the vision mods to keep things under the availability limit (normally, I just buy Vision Enhancement (3) contacts, but I was worried about my contacts getting bricked and swapped things without rechecking).
Killing so many sacred cows, I'm banned from India.

Jimmy_Pvish

• Newb
« Reply #22 on: <11-01-13/1504:04> »
For op

Some tips for building street sam, at lease from my (limit) experience/opinion.

try to buy as much as 6[8] active skill with skill point or at lease in one primary weapon of choice (6 base skill + 1 for specialize)
you can get 6[8] Automactic (SMG) which worth 49 karma with only 7 skill point
On the other hand, 1 rating skill worth only 2 karma, which you should avoid buying with skill point

For other low rating skills you need, buy it with karma (at low rating, it's very cheap)

It's maybe depend on GM but most used skills in SR are sneaking and perception, don't leave chargen without them.

Try to have a wide range of skills, not just fighting skill.
Ever 1 rating with 2 attribute can make the different between critical glitch and success.(for task that only need 1 hit, of course)

Does your group has someone with skill in pilot ground craft?
if doesn't have, you should have them, most street sam has high reaction, they can be a decent driver.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #23 on: <11-01-13/1525:30> »
Jimmy: 28 should become 4x6(+2), 36 should become 6x6, 46 should become 7x6 with 4 specializations, for maximum karma efficiency. Then spend karma on a few rating 1s.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!