NEWS

A Clockwork Timebomb?

• 342 Replies

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <02-20-12/2331:19> »
One of the redeeming qualities of the Norse myth cycle - a part that Winternight pretty much skips over, IMO - is that in the final battle (Ragnarök) the good guys lose.  They get nothing out of fighting except the knowledge that they did all they could.  JackPoint might have a similar part of its ethos.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #46 on: <02-20-12/2347:05> »
Eh, I probably drink enough for both of you. Plus, since both of you don't drink that's something right there you are in agreement about.

One of the redeeming qualities of the Norse myth cycle - a part that Winternight pretty much skips over, IMO - is that in the final battle (Ragnarök) the good guys lose.  They get nothing out of fighting except the knowledge that they did all they could.  JackPoint might have a similar part of its ethos.
Which is kinda pointless and pretty badass at the same time. Nothing like  good blaze of glory.
« Last Edit: <02-20-12/2349:04> by Angelone »
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #47 on: <02-21-12/0039:07> »
When the world is as dark, dirty, and violent as the one you're in, you forget about good, you forget about heroes, you forget about that fairy tale stuff.

You find the hardest, meanest, most sadistic SOB and DOB that ever walked the Earth, and pray you can convince them to be on your side.
...wish I could quote Canray in my games.
Go right ahead.
That might be true, Ray...but it doesn't have to be. There's a place for heroes.
Sorry, my cynicism is showing.  I almost feel that way completely today, forget in a darker future.  Don't mind me.
How in the nine Hells do we get along?
Because, thank $Deity, it's fiction.  And we all know that, even me when I'm at my most cynical.

Well, maybe not at my MOST.  But more often than not.  That comes from the fact that messing with me and mine is a sure trip to a world of pain unlike any other previously imagined.

I have a very good imagination.  And am very proud of working as hard as possible towards originality.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #48 on: <02-21-12/0109:13> »
You want to know why Clockwork would be a grease stain on the pavement if he ever hurt Netcat's kid? Because even today, in prison there are hardened killers who will geek a guy simply because they're bored, members of rival gangs who hate eachother, racists, rapists, and all other kinds of ne'er-do-wells, and the one thing they all agree on is that the child molester is getting shanked.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <02-21-12/0422:54> »
I always got the impression that Netcat was liked on Jackpoint, and her feud with Clockwork was the only exception.  If he were to hurt the kid, I think that you'd see a galvanization by the Jackpointers en masse against him.
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #50 on: <02-21-12/0541:22> »
Netcat is the voice of reason and compassion on the Jackpoint.  Even the people that tease her about that will probably admit that she's much needed to help keep the group from realizing just how far down the rabbit hole they've gotten.  ...  Well, maybe not Kane, he's pretty much lost down there and loving every minute of it.

The comment about Prison Culture, however, is a good point.  Now imagine those folks aren't in prison and have access to weapons, drones, magic, and the Matrix.  Even the Arctic Circle wouldn't be safe for Clockwork!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #51 on: <02-21-12/0800:59> »
How in the nine Hells do we get along?
heh... seems to mirror some relationships on JackPoint.

Remember, folks, JackPoint is a lot today's forums. You can put up with a lot of shit from your fellow posters, but if someone crosses the line, the hammer's going to fall.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #52 on: <02-21-12/1151:21> »
And in Shadowrun, the Ban Hammer doesn't just kick you off the forum, it kicks your ghost out of your body.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #53 on: <02-21-12/1242:24> »
Just to throw my own 2 cents in, yeah, Bull would likely come down hard on Clockwork, for many of the reasons outlined above.

And if thee's anyone on Jackpoint that could be considered a "White Hat", it's Bull.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #54 on: <02-21-12/1429:27> »
Just to throw my own 2 cents in, yeah, Bull would likely come down hard on Clockwork, for many of the reasons outlined above.

And if thee's anyone on Jackpoint that could be considered a "White Hat", it's Bull.
Don't know how white that hat is after Slamm-0! diaper bomb... ;)

Ragnarok

• Omae
« Reply #55 on: <02-21-12/1724:38> »

What does the "diaper bomb" do exactly?
"More human than human" is our motto.
- Tyrell, Bladerunner

Bruce

• Newb
« Reply #56 on: <02-21-12/1807:43> »

Slamm-O was out of line with his comments, and Bull merely slapped him down (albeit with a warning of what would happen if Slamm continued to mouth off about sensitive subjects).  Slamm-O has demonstrated that he talks before he thinks several times; I suspect that when Netcat explained what had happened, Slamm felt even worse than he did from Bull's trouncing.

Even a 'white hat' has a few breaking points.

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #57 on: <02-21-12/2021:45> »

What does the "diaper bomb" do exactly?

The "diaper bomb" is a new program that Slamm-O! created. It hits you with something akin to a chaotic world spell and boots you from the matrix.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #58 on: <02-21-12/2217:02> »
One thing to keep in mind is that while the book only gives a rules description and a objective rating of effectiveness, each users program may be as unique as they can be. So while in rules terms it may just have been a attack or backout program of some high rating or other, in-universe it was a highly customized program giving out a very special set of sensory data. While the book only says attack-6, in game that can be a sword, a gun or even an stream of fiery breath. Hell, if the target do not have analyze handy there is no way to tell what they got hit with was. In a sense i think SR could benefit from a matrix style generator. This would allow someone to tailor both PC and NPC alike, either by getting inspirations or by simply rolling randomly.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #59 on: <02-21-12/2258:58> »
I've never gotten around to asking Brandie what the Diaper Bomb actually was.  In my mind it's a Crash program design to crash Bulls deck combined with some custom Simsense.  Nasty and annoying. :]

Just like Freddie. :]