NEWS

am i seeing things?

• 9 Replies

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« on: <12-02-11/2220:35> »
or is there now a actual errata for a SR4A on the site?
http://www.shadowrun4.com/2011/12/sr4a-reprint-changes/

seems to not hold the rest of the changes from SR4 to SR4A tho.
« Last Edit: <12-02-11/2226:15> by hobgoblin »
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <12-03-11/0242:26> »
It's a hint of something.  Maybe the leopard can change its shorts after all?  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #2 on: <12-16-11/0131:10> »
It is 99% typo corrections, except they made Threading a free action.

None of the other often-argued about 'problem rules' were addressed.

-k

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <12-16-11/1200:36> »

-k

Could that be, maybe, the they weren't actually a problem in the first place, and people were just reading too much into it? Gotta say, I think so, and I also think that's why this "German Errata" crud has not seen print over here on this side of the ocean. It. Is. Not. Necessary.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <12-21-11/1002:40> »
It. Is. Not. Necessary.
But replacing ... with … was. Sounds totally reasonable... ( …)

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #5 on: <12-21-11/1010:03> »
It. Is. Not. Necessary.
But replacing ... with … was. Sounds totally reasonable... ( …)

I totally read that as "But replacing (pause) with (pause) was."

I was sitting there going  :o for about 5-10 seconds before I could move on and read the rest of it.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <12-30-11/0109:12> »

Could that be, maybe, the they weren't actually a problem in the first place, and people were just reading too much into it? Gotta say, I think so, and I also think that's why this "German Errata" crud has not seen print over here on this side of the ocean. It. Is. Not. Necessary.
There are multiple areas where rules can mean wildly different things depending on how you interpret the text. It's usually a case of poor wording.

If the same damn arguments keep popping up over and over and over again, there's a problem. It means that the message isn't clear to many people, so it needs to be clarified. That is what the FAQ was supposed to be for, but there's a reason many folks have a low opinion of that FAQ.

-k

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #7 on: <12-30-11/0830:10> »
And, ironically, my group and I have yet to run into any problems interpreting the rules as published. Wanna know our secret?

ANY published rules system, be it 4E D&D, Pathfinder, GURPs, Storyteller< or Toon; they are all GUIDELINES to help you play. I am a Rules Lawyer (much to tje dismay of players and DMs alike) and I can say that if you rely on how others tell you how to play something overmuch, it stops being a game and becomes a job.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <12-30-11/0938:07> »
This is true. But then again, as I've said before, a good GM can make just about ANY game system work, no matter how badly it's done.

However, this does not absolve the game developer from maintaining and correcting issues with their product!

How many, say, software companies would stay in business if they became known for habitually not fixing bugs and errors in their programs?

Individuals and small groups might not have run into problems. But when you look at the user community as a whole, certain arguments crop up again and again. Regardless of which side you are on in any particular argument, the fact that they do keep happening indicates that something there is unclear enough that a good number of people ARE having a problem with it.

To come back to my analogy, a computer program can have a bug that some people never run into or don't really notice. That does not mean it's not there, or that nobody else has a problem with it.

It is understandable that a game book can and will have problems that were not caught in production and playtesting. It is impossible to make a perfect game, at least not out of the gate. But that is what errata is for. You identify issues that the user base is having with your product, and you take timely steps to address the issue. Just because your customers can impose their own fixes does not mean you shouldn't go ahead and work out and release official fixes yourself.

Proofreading corrections are nice and all, don't get me wrong, but they are not errata.

-k
« Last Edit: <12-30-11/0942:00> by KarmaInferno »

Falconer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-03-12/2259:15> »
Found an error in the new printing!

p204.  Indirect Combat Spells: last paragraph.   "Note that nonliving objects resist damage from an Indirect Combat spell with their Armor Rating x 2 (see Barriers, p. 166)".

p166.  "Against Indirect Combat spells and explosives attached directly, barriers roll only their Armor rating."

Or are drones/vehicles suddenly supposed to resist indirect spells with 2x armor making them suck even more ignoring their half-AP elemental damage.
« Last Edit: <01-03-12/2301:12> by Falconer »