NEWS

[SR4a] Archetypes: replacements for the Sample Characters

• 411 Replies

Dinendae

• Ace Runner
« Reply #285 on: <07-21-12/0001:56> »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet or not, but I found an error with the Negotiator's essence calculations: I think you put the decimal in the wrong place when calculating it; .8 (cyberarm essence cost) / 10 (Biocompatability (Cyberware) Quality) would be .08 removed, not .1 removed. So instead of making the essence loss for the cyberarm .7, it should be .72. This of course means that you lose an extra point of magic (with a 4.98 essence), putting the build 1 power point over what it can actually spend on adept powers.  :'(

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #286 on: <07-21-12/1055:42> »
I think you multiply for Second-Hand, but add for the other cost reductions. I know some things multiply and some things add, but I'm not sure where this one is; I'm going to look into it.

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #287 on: <07-21-12/1106:10> »
Well, shit. Adapsin says that it is "in addition" to grade reductions, and also says to "round normally" (WTF? Since when do you round essence costs at all?). Second-hand multiplies. Biocompatibility doesn't say. I think Biocompatibility working like Adapsin makes more sense, as Adapsin is also a cost reduction.

On further thought, Way+Gaesa is also additive. I can't think of any examples of two discounts (or two markups) that are explicitly multiplicative; only Second-Hand Ware (which is a discount and a markup multiplying).

Based on this, I'm inclined to stick with additive (ie, both of them discount the base value), since that seems to be the standard for how SR does it. I'm going to take another look through the rules and possibly a straw poll, though.

« Last Edit: <07-21-12/1121:38> by UmaroVI »

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #288 on: <07-21-12/1330:45> »
Well, shit. Adapsin says that it is "in addition" to grade reductions, and also says to "round normally" (WTF? Since when do you round essence costs at all?). Second-hand multiplies. Biocompatibility doesn't say. I think Biocompatibility working like Adapsin makes more sense, as Adapsin is also a cost reduction.

On further thought, Way+Gaesa is also additive. I can't think of any examples of two discounts (or two markups) that are explicitly multiplicative; only Second-Hand Ware (which is a discount and a markup multiplying).

Based on this, I'm inclined to stick with additive (ie, both of them discount the base value), since that seems to be the standard for how SR does it. I'm going to take another look through the rules and possibly a straw poll, though.

I believe that the rounding for SR4 was what (in my opinion) all games should do, round toward most favorable for the player. I may be thinking of a different game though.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #289 on: <07-22-12/2119:31> »
OK, I'm seeing a general consensus towards "additive" so I'm going to leave it like that, but include a note.

Snaryl

• Newb
« Reply #290 on: <08-01-12/0509:47> »
UmaroVI, on your archetypes under "tactics" you often have a line like:

"If you want to spend Edge on a test and are rolling 6 or more dice, you’re better off spending the edge after rolling to reroll failures."

Could you explain how you got those numbers (as I've noticed they change from archetype to archetype)? It's be great to know how to modify the character and then still know how to roll Edge in the most statistically beneficial way.

Thanks!

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #291 on: <08-01-12/0947:44> »
18/7 of your edge score is the break even point (where pre-declaring and rerolling misses are exactly equal in expected number of hits). Over that, you are better off rerolling; under that, you are better off predeclaring.

There are a few niche exceptions (if it's really close, but the amount of hits you need is above the expected value, you should predeclare because it's more volatile) but 18/7 is a very good rule of thumb. The actual numbers are 18/7*Edge rounded up (so for example, edge 2 would be 36/7, or 5 and a seventh. You can't have a seventh of a dice, so 5 or less you should predeclare, 6 or more you should reroll).

Cantor

• Newb
« Reply #292 on: <08-01-12/1207:09> »
18/7 of your edge score is the break even point (where pre-declaring and rerolling misses are exactly equal in expected number of hits). Over that, you are better off rerolling; under that, you are better off predeclaring.

There are a few niche exceptions (if it's really close, but the amount of hits you need is above the expected value, you should predeclare because it's more volatile) but 18/7 is a very good rule of thumb. The actual numbers are 18/7*Edge rounded up (so for example, edge 2 would be 36/7, or 5 and a seventh. You can't have a seventh of a dice, so 5 or less you should predeclare, 6 or more you should reroll).

So, if I'm understanding this right, a character with 8 Edge, (Human, Lucky) would pre-declare edge use on pools of 20, and re-roll pools of 21 or more?

Snaryl

• Newb
« Reply #294 on: <08-01-12/1718:35> »
Awesome, thank you for breaking that down for me!

sway

« Reply #295 on: <08-24-12/0507:11> »
I don't know if this has been mentioned already or if maybe I'm missing something, but I think the Armor on the Martial Artist is a bit off.

I'm getting 12/12 from the armor which would be 2 over limit on both sides, since the MA has Body 5. I believe the vitals protector and arm/leg casings need to be deleted from the armor set-up.

By the looks of things, unless I'm missing something, this was probably just a copy/paste typo (as a similar armor set-up is used on all the Archetypes).

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #296 on: <08-24-12/1445:35> »
You are indeed right; fixed (the amount of armor listed in his summary was right, but the equipment listing had too much).

sway

« Reply #297 on: <08-24-12/1949:56> »
Yeah, I was just looking at the archetype while mulling over how I want to do an unarmed combat guy and I figured it was just a copy/paste thing because the numbers were right elsewhere.

odd

• Omae
« Reply #298 on: <08-28-12/1223:53> »
UmaroVI, I noticed that the Martial Artist has a base Agility of 5 and only has it marked for 40 BP, but since trolls max agility is 5, shouldn't it cost 55?

Operator

• Omae
  • We own the night!
« Reply #299 on: <08-28-12/1231:29> »
UmaroVI, I noticed that the Martial Artist has a base Agility of 5 and only has it marked for 40 BP, but since trolls max agility is 5, shouldn't it cost 55?

The Martial Artist bought Genetic Optimization (Agility), which extends the maximum stat values to 6 unaugmented and 9 augmented.
« Last Edit: <08-28-12/1233:52> by Operator »