NEWS

Max Starting HotF Decker?

• 16 Replies

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« on: <01-18-15/0344:23> »
Mostly an attempt at crunch, but in building him/her I actually started liking the character.
Anyway, wanted to see how high of a dicepool I could get for Hack on the Fly attacks, and still have a somewhat playable character.  In VR against a device this persona is rolling 27 dice.  You'd obviously edge misses here rather than adding 2 dice and hoping for explodes.  So still rolling 17 dice to place 3 marks at once...
Logic 8 + Hacking 9 + Device Spec 2 + Code Slinger (HotF) 2 + Analytical Mind 2 + VR 2 + Special Workplace (Computer Lab) 2 = 27

Anyway, thoughts?

Spider
METATYPE: HUMAN
B 2, A 2, R 5/6, S 2, W 4, L 6/8, I 5, C 2, ESS 5, EDG 2, M 3
Condition Monitor (P/S): 9 / 10
Armor: 11
Limits: Physical 4, Mental 9, Social 5
Physical Initiative: 10/11+2D6
Matrix Initiative: 12+3D6
Active Skills: Artisan 2 (Matrix Design +2), Cybercombat 3, Electronic Warfare 3, Electronics Group 2, Hacking 6 (9) (vs. Devices +2), Perception 4 (Visual +2), Pistols 6 (Tasers +2)
Knowledge Skills: Anime 3, Area Knowledge 6, Conceptual Design 3, Corp Politics 2, Local Gangs 1, Matrix Protocols 6, Small Unit Tatics 1
Languages: English N, Japanese N
Qualities: Adept, Analytical Mind, Bilingual, Code of Honor: White Hat (6dicepool vs. 4), Codeblock: Check Overwatch Score, Codeslinger: Hack on the Fly, Mentor Spirit: Fire-Bringer
Adept Powers: Improved Ability (3): Hacking, Improved Reflexes (1), Improved Sense: Thermographic Vision, Linguistics (13dicepool (Varies))
Augmentations:
. . Cerebral Booster (2)
. . Datajack
. . Sony CIY-720 (Used) (Cyber) w/ Encryption, Exploit, Sim Module, Modified for Hot Sim, Stealth, Toolbox
. . . . Renraku Taka
Gear:
. . Armor
. . Baby Monitor
. . Browse
. . Certified Credstick, Standard x3
. . Data Tap
. . Datachip x10
. . Decryption
. . Ear buds (2) w/ Audio Enhancement (2)
. . Glasses (4) w/ Flare Compensation, Low Light Vision, Vision Enhancement (2)
. . Hermes Ikon Commlink
. . Identity: Specify Name w/ Fake License: Adept (4), Fake License: Cyberdeck (4), Fake License: PI-Tac (4), Fake SIN (4), (1 month) Middle Lifestyle
. . Lockdown
. . Security Tags x10
. . Signal Scrub
. . Sneak
. . Standard Tags x10
. . Track
. . Urban Explorer Jumpsuit
. . Urban Explorer Jumpsuit Helmet
Weapons:
. . Defiance EX Shocker [Taser, Acc 5, DV 9S(e), AP -5, SS, 4 (m)] w/ Laser Sight, (10x) Taser Dart
Contacts:
Bobby Wood (Connection 3, Loyalty 3)

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Shadowrun © 2005-2014 The Topps Company, Inc. All rights reserved. Shadowrun is a registered trademark of The Topps Company, Inc.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-18-15/0501:23> »
It'd be a (very) generous GM that would consider Hack on the Fly to be problem solving and give you +2 from Analytical Mind.
Special Work area, if that is what you mean by Special Workplace, adds 2 to limit rather than dicepool.

Shaidar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <01-18-15/0756:42> »
Using a static (singular) Special Workplace might cause some issues with heightened Noise.

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <01-18-15/0910:00> »
Seconded on Analytical Mind. However, Brand Loyalty would certainly apply, so that's a +1 right there for only 3 Karma. Without Analytical Mind and Special Workplace (which only adds to your limit as mentioned), but with Brand Loyalty, you'd be at 24 dice.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-18-15/1013:09> »
I think you want Overclocker solely for the increase to deck gear Limit it could provide.

How did you generate this guy? What were the priorities assigned?
Playability > verisimilitude.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <01-18-15/1416:24> »
I think you want Overclocker solely for the increase to deck gear Limit it could provide.

How did you generate this guy? What were the priorities assigned?
A- Resources
B- Attributes
C- Adept
D- Skills
E- Human

And yeah, Overclocker would be a good one to replace Bilingual which is just there for fluff reasons.

Seconded on Analytical Mind. However, Brand Loyalty would certainly apply, so that's a +1 right there for only 3 Karma. Without Analytical Mind and Special Workplace (which only adds to your limit as mentioned), but with Brand Loyalty, you'd be at 24 dice.
It'd be a (very) generous GM that would consider Hack on the Fly to be problem solving and give you +2 from Analytical Mind.
Special Work area, if that is what you mean by Special Workplace, adds 2 to limit rather than dicepool.
Interesting that the RoT says that Hacking on the Fly isn't a problem solving skill.  And honestly easy enough to replace AM and Bilingual with Aptitude and then raise Hacking up to 11 to get those two back.  I did miss-read the Special Workplace, though having the increased limit with even a 23(24) die pool is handy.

Using a static (singular) Special Workplace might cause some issues with heightened Noise.
And depending on the range, yes it could, but if you're in a host not a problem.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <01-18-15/1442:18> »
Is your Essence a flat 5 or 5.something now?

Might be worth it to get a retinal-implant smartlink.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <01-18-15/1917:24> »
Flat 5.  Yeah, if I could get the smart link I would.

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <01-18-15/2002:36> »
Flat 5.  Yeah, if I could get the smart link I would.
Sorry, can you break that down for me, piece by piece? I think I see something you can do to get that smartlink but want to be sure where your current cost is coming from, itemized.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <01-18-15/2122:07> »
Boster .4
Jack .1
Deck .5

Whiskeyjack

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <01-18-15/2235:53> »
Don't implant the deck, it isn't worth it.

Alternatively, buy an alphaware jack and alphaware smartlink. Shouldn't be that pricy.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-19-15/0114:00> »
I liked it as part of the character, but efficiency-wise you're absolutely right.  Frees up a lot of things there.

Question about Analytical Mind.  Is it simply limited to when a GM asks for exact tasks regarding the things listed in the CRB?  IE: Find this clue! Solve this puzzle!  Recognize something.  Or is it more generalized to any puzzle or any pattern type recognition?

8-bit

« Reply #12 on: <01-19-15/0120:50> »
I liked it as part of the character, but efficiency-wise you're absolutely right.  Frees up a lot of things there.

Question about Analytical Mind.  Is it simply limited to when a GM asks for exact tasks regarding the things listed in the CRB?  IE: Find this clue! Solve this puzzle!  Recognize something.  Or is it more generalized to any puzzle or any pattern type recognition?

It's all GM Fiat on that one. Some might be generous with it, others won't be. Generally though, it's more about sifting data and analyzing patterns over time, not something I would personally apply to Hack on the Fly.

As for the Max pool you could get; here's what I came up with.

Gnome or Pixie; SURGE; Aptitude Hacking; Restricted Gear (Cerebral Boosters 3); Adept

Logic 8 (11) + Hacking 7 (+2 Whatever) + Improved Hacking 4 + Codeslinger 2 + Psyche 1 + VR 2 = 29 dice.

I haven't tried to make something to fit all that in. It's probably possible though.

Edit: Alternatively, you could go this:

Gnome or Pixie; SURGE; Aptitude Hacking; Mystic Adept

Logic 8 (12) + Hacking 7 (+2 Whatever) + Improved Hacking 4 + Codeslinger 2 + Psyche 1 + VR 2 - Sustaining 1 = 29 dice.

It's the same result, just a different route.
« Last Edit: <01-19-15/0122:59> by 8-bit »

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <01-19-15/0335:59> »
Couldn't do Pixie as you'd have to buy off uneducated, but yeah.  I think you can fit the Gnome/SURGE/Apt/RG CB/Adept.  Don't think he'd be playable though as the build would dump everything to get that.  Maybe with a karma build, but I've no practice doing those.  Using Priorities or Sum-2-10 you'd be pretty much a 1 trick pony (though without that quality :P).
I'll have to play around with that :)  Thanks 8-bit!

Darzil

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <01-19-15/0448:53> »
I would rule it as that sort of thing. If you rule it any wider it pretty much becomes +2 Logic for 5 Karma, and I don't think that's the intention.