NEWS

(SR4-20th) Adept initiation and PP/metamagic

• 3 Replies

iKill

• Newb
« on: <11-30-16/1850:48> »
I am fairly new to shadowrun, so bear with me.

I am currently playing an augmented physical adept, which is my first shot at an awakened character. I have 2 ESS worrh of ware, a MAG score of 4*, and I am about to have enough karma for my very first initiation, which I only want for the ability to invest more in MAG for another PP. None of the adept metamagics look any kind of useful, except for perhaps adept centering and infusion, but I keep seeing extra PP purchased in place of metamagic in builds online. However, thee rule that lets one do this escapes me. Where kan I find it? I sure hope that it is not just a common houserule or some optional rule, as that would never fly at the table I play. Also, does adept metamagic really suck? I suspect that the reason that none of them look useful to me is that I don't know the rules well enough.

*Soft capped at chargen, and later increased with karma.

SpellBinder

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <01-10-17/2056:16> »
What you're looking for is in the Street Magic errata at least, if not the later printed version of Street Magic itself (orange cover, not blue).  In the errata it's presented as another "Tweaking The Rules" option on page 31, where Adepts may gain an additional Power Point instead of a metamagic feat upon initiation.

iKill

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <02-16-17/1702:45> »
Thanks. My GM refused the errata, as we generally prefer to go with the most conservative interpretation of any rule.

I still want to increase my PP though, so I need to improve my MAG. But how much would that cost me? Going from 3 to 4 MAG would normally coat me 20 karma, but does my 2 ESS of ware factor into this and make it 30 instead?
« Last Edit: <02-18-17/0519:50> by iKill »

Tym Jalynsfein

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <02-17-17/1559:40> »
Cost is 20 Karma... Losses do not factor in to the equation.
The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary. - James. D. Nicoll