NEWS

Dunkelzahn's Will

• 237 Replies

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #15 on: <11-10-11/0924:03> »
still kinda angry  that they used the "34,586,224,739.58 in UCAS dollars" bequest on such a crappy storyline, just sayin.

yeah. had his properties and wealth transferred elsewhere after the THOR shot. he had been getting some of his advice from the reformed Order of the Dragon in my game. His monies are going to be put to actual good use (relatively speaking)
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #16 on: <11-10-11/1704:05> »
What storyline?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #17 on: <11-10-11/1721:53> »
What storyline?
Art, the guy that was left that money, was found in the gutter after he had been fired by Fuchi after a life of working for them, born in the Corporate Culture of the Corporation being your Family.

He went to a party with Richard Villers in it, met the guy, who did not recognize him at all.  Art them dedicated his fortune to learning how to destroy companies while making a profit at the same time.

Art was directly responsible for NovaTech having to go Public with their shares, which then caused it to become NeoNET.  Richard proved he was the richer man by having a THOR round ready when he did find where Arty was hiding during the chaos of Crash 2.0 and blamed it on a "Glitch due to the programming damage of the Crash Worm" or some such thing when the Corporate Court came to him going, "WTF?  A THOR SHOT, really?"

And that's why you don't piss off corporations too much when they have orbital assets and a legitimate excuse they can feed the Corporate Court.  All the UN has to deal with are Nukes that may or may not go off, or disappear in mid-flight for no reason.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #18 on: <11-10-11/1732:05> »
I love that story!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #19 on: <11-10-11/1737:46> »
Good.  Now go the frag to sleep!

"Go The Frag To Sleep, As Read By: Gary Cline"

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #20 on: <11-10-11/1806:26> »
I guess thor shots being non-nuclear helps in their acceptance of any "oops".

Still, the guy was not a AAA asset or affiliated with a AAA. As such, dropping a terminal crowbar on him was unlikely to trigger any retaliation and risking the corporate cold war going hot. The very scenario that the corp court exist to avoid.

And i guess this is why runners are so important. As mercenaries they are basically disposable, meaning that taking a team out will not result in a retaliation by the corp hiring them. Hell, until they complete their mission the corporation may not have had a expense at all. As such they are the perfect proxies for avoiding a escalation of the cold war while allowing the jousting to continue.
« Last Edit: <11-10-11/1812:05> by hobgoblin »
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #21 on: <11-10-11/1820:23> »
No, but it was the equivalent of dropping a nuke somewhere without warning people.  THOR shots (The Ballistic Crowbar Cannon) are the Corporate Court's WMD of choice.

"Sorry, sorry, that was a test on some island that only had iguanas on it.  They weren't rare or anything."

Shadowrunning is important due to Deniability, "Thou Shalt Not Get Caught" is written into the Corporate Court's charter.  Or some such thing.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

hobgoblin

• Omae
  • Panda!
« Reply #22 on: <11-10-11/1840:14> »
proxies, deniability, same shit. Basically as long as the higher ups can shrug about the deaths, rather then worry about the resources and assets having been lost there is little reason to consider some kind of retaliation.

I am talking about the corporation that hired the runners in the first place, mind. Basically it is a chess game with pawns for hire.

Why deploy a corporate trained and equipped rook or bishop when you can hire a couple of pawns on off the street on a results based payment structure? Loose the rook and the cost of training and equipment goes down the drain. Loose the hired pawn and your no worse for wear, expect maybe having tipped your hand about your desired outcome. Quite the cost benefit win.

And sure, there likely was some yelling about whys and assets being on high alert after the strike. But as the evidence ticked in that the strike was not part of a larger campaign, nor had hit any of the big names assets, things likely cooled down again.

The big thing to keep in mind is that unlike the nations of the cold war, the corporations are in this for the money flow. It is not about some ideology or other, it is about cornering the market.
Want to see my flash new jacket?

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #23 on: <11-10-11/1844:00> »
It's all about profit.  And war is bad for profit.

"Ahem."

Oh, sorry Ares, war between THE MEGAS is bad for profit.

"That's better."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #24 on: <11-10-11/2102:02> »
... you guys ARE aware that approval was sought from the Corporate Court before they took Dankwalther out, right?  The endgame in System Failure (p. 101) was revealed as a message from Priault -- SK's corporate court member -- to his Master, i.e. Lofwyr.

Quote from: System Failure
//Begin File Attachment//
To: S-K HQ10596@saederkrupp.com
Re: Dankwalther

Master,
          Following the latest intelligence reports, subject was located at 23:06 EST.  Orbital option was unanimously approved at 23:11, after ZOG analysis estimated he'd be gone before Omega ground team could be activated.  Subject was successfully terminated at 23:16.  News interdiction was also successful: the KSAF team was delayed pending impact, as per your orders.
          Regards,
          Priault
//End//

Understand that the amount of damage Dankwalther was doing to Novatech was having a serious impact on far more than just that AAA corporation; Dankwalther had taken apart both an A-rated and an AA-rated corporation on his way to planning out how to tear Richard Villiers a new one, not to mention all the collateral damage he was doing to all of the other corporations that had a rightful claim to the Corporate Court's protection and judgement under the Business Accords.  Art Dankwalther was a serious threat to every corporation out there.  There should be no doubt that everyone was hunting for the kill-shot on the guy, no matter how much damage was done to the surrounding city blocks.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <11-10-11/2105:10> »
Ah, missed that part.  That's what happens when you don't own the books.   :'(

"Minimum collateral damage."

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #26 on: <11-10-11/2115:08> »
Ah, missed that part.  That's what happens when you don't own the books.   :'(

"Minimum collateral damage."

Which they didn't give two hoots about; didn't even mention it.  They located the guy, they couldn't get a Corporate Court Omega team there in time, so they used the Big Gun In The Sky™.  The only thing they made sure about was that the news team from KSAF didn't get wasted as well.

This should tell you something about how much even the referees wanted him iced.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #27 on: <11-10-11/2119:31> »
Most of the will, at this point, is either completed or so old as to be a non-factor in modern Shadowrun. This isn't to say that it wasn't a vital thing! That single document launched entire *campaigns*, not just adventures, and continues to have echoes today.

You have several dead ends (The guy who gets 50,000Y a year as long as he remains chaste, for instance), some "We will never follow up on this, so enjoy yoru campaign:" stuff (The Russian Crown Jewels, for instance.), some main plot points (Art Dankwalther!), and some that might have had something going but never got a follow up, like the Cheyenne dig.

The one that always bugged me was "Where the rock meets the sky", just because it's a riddle of some kind and we'll never know what it was intended to be. That one might well be added to *my* will, to bother future generations.

At this stage, it's probably better to focus on new plots instead of old ones, but the occasional tidbit dropped for the older players is always welcome.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #28 on: <11-10-11/2253:51> »
The one that always bugged me was "Where the rock meets the sky", just because it's a riddle of some kind and we'll never know what it was intended to be. That one might well be added to *my* will, to bother future generations.
You know, we could always just ask Kenson about it....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-10-11/2300:22> »
You know, we could always just ask Kenson about it....

Egads! I thought he was dead. Yeah, asking him would be, uhm.

Amazing.