NEWS

Dunkelzahn's Will

• 237 Replies

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #45 on: <12-15-11/1549:47> »
There was a 1 year after D's death stipulation on Rock meets sky.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #46 on: <12-15-11/1733:20> »
And we still don't know what was meant by it. So we want to know!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #47 on: <12-15-11/1744:26> »
It's the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Denver.  The 'Rock' he was referring to was Rock Music.  It's the highest musical venue in North America and also close to where Ghostwalker emerge.  Since nobody found the cache, and the instructions therein, Ghostwalker seized it as seed capital for taking over Denver.  I thought that was obvious.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #48 on: <12-15-11/1857:21> »
Here's a hint for other GM's out there:

If it's obvious to you, your players will never see it coming at all.  Period.

That goes for bad guys and clues they will need to solve the mystery.

If you need to drop clues to your players, use the shotgun approach.  Throw 3 or more clues to them, and they might get the hint.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Barracuda_Kali

• Newb
« Reply #49 on: <12-15-11/1858:52> »
I'm pretty sure the whole text of the recipients has never been fully disclosed, and is a great source of plot hooks you can just pull out of the usual place.

Anyone else make up "undisclosed" entries to spring on players?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #50 on: <12-15-11/1901:03> »
No, Joe, obvious is a dragon coming out of an astral rift. An amphitheater many people may never have heard of before is not obvious.

In general, don't assume something is obvious to all, most, or even many people, unless it is the 'anvil to the forehead' kind of obvious.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #51 on: <12-15-11/1905:23> »
Red Rock amphitheater is where U2 did Live from Red Rock, Under a Blood Red Sky, the biggest selling concert format album of all time.  It was also called Garden of Angels and Garden of Titans before being named Red Rock.  It had been a music mecca for over a hundred years. 

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #52 on: <12-15-11/1919:06> »
And I'd never heard of it until you posted the name.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #53 on: <12-15-11/1959:30> »
Philistines!

D was a BIG fan of music, including the older stuff, as witnessed by some of his other bequeaths.  The clue was placed there for someone with similar tastes.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #54 on: <12-15-11/2001:04> »
He also loved comics.  Not so much Manga, however.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #55 on: <12-15-11/2010:28> »
Philistines!

D was a BIG fan of music, including the older stuff, as witnessed by some of his other bequeaths.  The clue was placed there for someone with similar tastes.

And again, unless you are someone with similar tastes, who also happens to know of a particular venue in a particular city, that 'clue' is going to be about as clear as reading Saeder-Krupp's quarterly stockholder report.

You know why they call something an 'inside joke'? Because if you're not one of the 'insiders' it doesn't make a damn bit of sense to you. Same thing goes with clues.

My Characters

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #56 on: <12-15-11/2036:52> »
I'm fairly certain that more people know about Red Rock than know about Shadowrun.  It kicked off U2 as a concert band and Under a Blood Red Sky went triple platinum in the US and England, platinum in other countries. That album sold more than 5 million copies. I'm not saying that Shadowrun Characters should know about it, although I'll bet you'd find D had some pull there through his entertainment company.  What I am saying is that it isn't some mysterious place I pulled out of my posterior.  I'm also saying that when PotD came out, in 1996, the writers had grown up in a musical era colored by U2.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #57 on: <12-15-11/2210:23> »
Never heard of Red Rock myself.

Then again, I'm outside of Nashville, so, when you talk Mecca of Music, well, you talk about the Ryman. :D

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #58 on: <12-15-11/2221:01> »
It's the Red Rocks Amphitheater in Denver.  The 'Rock' he was referring to was Rock Music.  It's the highest musical venue in North America and also close to where Ghostwalker emerge.  Since nobody found the cache, and the instructions therein, Ghostwalker seized it as seed capital for taking over Denver.  I thought that was obvious.

... and you know all this as being canon ... how?  Please, share.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #59 on: <12-15-11/2329:09> »
Here's a hint for other GM's out there:

If it's obvious to you, your players will never see it coming at all.  Period.

That goes for bad guys and clues they will need to solve the mystery.

If you need to drop clues to your players, use the shotgun approach.  Throw 3 or more clues to them, and they might get the hint.
It's also worth pointing out that the inverse is also true.  Players may doggedly refuse to pick up on the clues a GM means to leave for them, but players will, in the same vein, still absolutely blindside their GM from time to time with a brilliant solution to a problem that the GM never saw coming.

Oh, life.  You zany, unpredictable, scamp.