NEWS

Gun Questions and Thoughts

• 55 Replies

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <07-04-11/2055:38> »
I was Air Force too, and while I wasn't a pilot or an explosives guy or anything like that, I was involved in intel, rather writing computer programs for analysts and spent alot of time elbow deep in their materials so I could correctly write programs that churned out accurate data.  There is no way an A-10 could take a direct hit from a 105 or 120mm cannon from an M1A1.

I mean, here are some pics from damage from small arms fire and AA guns. The story even mentions the aircraft being able to withstand fire from 23mm guns.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Stories1/001-100/0016_A-10-battle-damage/story0016.htm

120mm main gun off a tank?  Bye-bye A-10, end of story.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #46 on: <07-04-11/2110:43> »
How often is a 105mm or 120mm cannon from a MBT used for anti-aircraft work, however?
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

bigity

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <07-04-11/2112:34> »
How often is a 105mm or 120mm cannon from a MBT used for anti-aircraft work, however?

You'd have to be pretty dang desperate I'd guess.  And freaking lucky as all get out.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #48 on: <07-04-11/2147:57> »
If all you've got is a hammer...   8)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #49 on: <07-04-11/2148:49> »
If all you've got is a hammer...   8)
"Don't force, get a bigger hammer."  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #50 on: <07-05-11/1100:12> »
Wouldn't that depend more on what kind of munitions that cannon is using? I mean their APDS uses like a 30mm depleted uranium dart, which would punch a clean hole through the fuselage and probably not do much "dangerous" damage to the plane. On the other hand if it was a HEAT SABOT then yeah I'm pretty sure if it hit the fuselage or more than the very tip of the wing the plane is going down... the sheer force of the explosion would cause whatever it hit to come off the aircraft. But if it was just the KE Sabot round that is literally a very fast moving dart there wouldn't be a whole lot of damage I'd imagine.

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #51 on: <07-05-11/1855:56> »
Wouldn't that depend more on what kind of munitions that cannon is using? I mean their APDS uses like a 30mm depleted uranium dart, which would punch a clean hole through the fuselage and probably not do much "dangerous" damage to the plane. On the other hand if it was a HEAT SABOT then yeah I'm pretty sure if it hit the fuselage or more than the very tip of the wing the plane is going down... the sheer force of the explosion would cause whatever it hit to come off the aircraft. But if it was just the KE Sabot round that is literally a very fast moving dart there wouldn't be a whole lot of damage I'd imagine.
Errr, punching a hole clean through the fuselage of a any plane flying at speed is pretty much going to let gravity take over with an earth-shattering *Ka-Boom*

The air-flow change at speed from the drag/resistance/turbulence alone would pretty much ruin your day.
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #52 on: <07-05-11/1953:45> »
Yeah, and the F-15 can't fly if it loses a wing.

Oh, wait...

Then again, I'm not a pilot, what do I know?  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Charybdis

• Ace Runner
  • If it's last name is Dragon, first name Great: RUN
« Reply #53 on: <07-05-11/2002:13> »
Yeah, and the F-15 can't fly if it loses a wing.

Oh, wait...

Then again, I'm not a pilot, what do I know?  :P

Modern Trim can auto-adjust for a lot of things, and funnily enough, wing's are more expendable than the fuselage in a lot of instances :)  Your video is one of them (and there was an F-18 hornet incident not long ago which demonstrated the same thing).
'Too much is never enough'

Current PC: Free Spirit (Norse Shamanic)
'Names are irrelevant. Which fake ID do you want me to quote from?'

Phreak Commandment V:
If Thou Be In School, Strive To Get Thine Self Good Grades, For The Authorities Well Know That Scholars Never Break The Law

Deliverator

• Chummer
« Reply #54 on: <07-05-11/2024:51> »
The A-10 can quite literally fly without wings... I'm pretty sure a big hole in the body of the air frame wouldn't cause enough drag to compare to the insane thrust to weight ratio of an A-10. And I'm sure a 3' section of the front of the wing missing thus turning the wing into a giant air brake would have more drag, and yet the A-10 can still fly with that kind of damage.

savaze

• Omae
  • I'm a zombie/quadriplegic hybrid
« Reply #55 on: <07-05-11/2037:25> »
The IDF have the best pilots in the world! Any other pilot would have bailed... I hear talk about this from time to time over here at Luke AFB.