NEWS

On using Scanners

• 8 Replies

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« on: <01-11-21/2036:03> »
So our group have been hired to break onto a steampunk flying yacht and liberate its method of staying airborne (and maybe kill the guy who owns it if we're feeling super saucy)

We set about to thinking about bypassing the security, and briefly talked about scanner rules without looking them up.

It's interesting, because we were pretty sure we knew how they worked and . . . unanimously agreed to pretend that security sensors are better than they really are. See, scanners are basically just . . . another patdown? It doesn't really track to me that a hidden pocket is going to help hide a gun from a metal detector.

I'm curious what y'alls takes on this are. How do you think people should treat these things?

We ended up only trying to sneak one gun in, but it's the HK P-something tactical, which is broken down and split between two hidden pockets on the only character with cyberware (and he sure does have cyberware)
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« Reply #1 on: <01-11-21/2040:06> »
Oh, and to clarify, the guy with cyberware isn't the one who will be using that gun. Our reasoning is that we can pull the whole "hip replacement" argument and they probably won't find the hidden pockets.
Shadowrun may not be the dystopia we want but we should be careful that it's not the one we get . . .

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <01-11-21/2108:25> »
you don't get to oppose a scanner.  It just rolls against a threshold and no matter how good you are at sleight of hand that threshold is only modified by the size of the item in question.  Typically they only need 2 or 3 hits to detect the explosives/metal/whatever.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <01-11-21/2221:34> »
It just rolls against a threshold  . . . that threshold is only modified by the size of the item in question.  Typically they only need 2 or 3 hits to detect the explosives/metal/whatever.

Right, a simple test with a threshold of concealability, as per page 277 of core, but the hidden pocket from Firing squad says that it will boost that concealability, despite that for this particular test it doesn't really make too too much sense.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <01-11-21/2237:26> »
Well, the simple answer is what you already know: don't apply the modification in that sort of case.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <01-11-21/2256:28> »
cuidaBeja,

Check out p242 of the CRB.  MAD's.  Think that might help you.

Best,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

cuidaBeja

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <01-12-21/1754:58> »
Check out p242 of the CRB.  MAD's. 

Okay see this is exactly what I expected! Why is this so different from the scanner rules in the equipment page on 277? The worst part is that I looked in the GM section first, but before I looked I decided to skip to equipment because I remember being disappointed with the security section for some reason.

Sir Ludwig

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <01-12-21/2125:48> »
cuidaBeja,

Can't say why, wasn't on that team and is above my paygrade.   ;D     

When I was getting active in SR again, I found this forum to be a wealth of knowledge.  So, I recommend getting on here and reading the threads and if you have any questions ask them.   

Regards,
SL
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <01-13-21/0243:16> »
Check out p242 of the CRB.  MAD's. 

Okay see this is exactly what I expected! Why is this so different from the scanner rules in the equipment page on 277? The worst part is that I looked in the GM section first, but before I looked I decided to skip to equipment because I remember being disappointed with the security section for some reason.
Because MAD scanners function differently than other sensors, that's nothing new. The important question here would be 'why does MAD on p277 not refer to p242'.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!