NEWS

[6e] Companion Quality: Software Optimization

• 4 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« on: <05-31-22/1008:34> »
Quote from: Sixth World Companion pg 135
Software Optimization
You know how to get the most of your hardware—by running more software!
•    Cost: 10 Karma
•    Game Effect: You may run one extra program on any device you own. Gain a point
of Edge whenever you use that program.
Here's another abusable Edge quality, and ambiguity the GM will have to figure out. 
Many programs provide ongoing bonuses: Signal Scrubber reduces your Noise, Toolbox improves your Data Processing, etc.  GMs will have to decide how to apply the edge bonus with those.  Once? Never?  Any time its bonus comes into play?
You don't have to permanently link the Edge to a particular program, so you can reconfigure your programs at any time so the one you're about to use will give you the Edge. 
Using Browse gives you two Edge every Matrix Search, one bankable. 
Lots of abuse possibilities the GM will have to look out for: Configurator stores alternate deck configs, so you'd get Edge (bankable) whenever swapping.  Exploit reduces the DR of a target by 2.  You'd gain bankable Edge every time you performed an action against a target using Exploit. 

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-31-22/1243:57> »
IMO, 10 Karma to gain a point of Edge isn't an Exploit.  It's actually really expensive.  There are many gear options that let you gain a point of edge that have a small Nuyen cost.  Chameleon Suit, Sunguard Jewelry, ect. 

Lots of ways to gain edge and (again IMO) 6th plays best when the Edge flows.

If the GM is handing out Edge regularly, the players don't need to resort to shenanigans to get Edge. 

Software Optimization costs 10, Analytical Mind costs 3.  Given how expensive Matrix Attributes are in 6th, and how quickly Hosts scale up, odds are qualities like that are the only way a Decker is gaining Edge while hacking big boy hosts. 

But I'm in the minority on my valuation of Karma costs for Edge granting qualities.  Clearly its a YMMV thing.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <05-31-22/2123:01> »
My concern is mostly around how this quality interacts with programs that get used almost every action, namely Exploit and Overdrive.  If I follow the rule as it seems to be intended, the decker should be getting Edge from this on basically every test, and I loathe qualities that give Edge for no other reason than "I am special" unless it's situational and temporary.  This is both bankable and triggers really often.
And of course if a decker has Software Optimization used on something like Exploit, plus Analytical Mind, their cyberdeck's A/S really don't matter that much because they're swimming in Edge.
« Last Edit: <05-31-22/2136:20> by MercilessMing »

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-31-22/2150:05> »
And of course if a decker has Software Optimization used on something like Exploit, plus Analytical Mind, their cyberdeck's A/S really don't matter that much because they're swimming in Edge.

I'm sympathetic to what you're saying.  However I do want to add a bit of an "on the other hand" here... if you neglect your A/S, you're still handing over Edge to the Host despite you getting yours via Qualities.  Your free Edge counts for less when the Host gets Edge every time you do something against it, too.

There's also the "not all Edge points are equal" dynamic going on, too.  Edge gained via Hacking may be bankable... but not beyond the duration of your current hack (see pg. 175).
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-31-22/2155:28> »
There's also the "not all Edge points are equal" dynamic going on, too.  Edge gained via Hacking may be bankable... but not beyond the duration of your current hack (see pg. 175).
Well, in that way they're as bankable as edge from any source, - until the current conflict ends, and up to your edge score.