NEWS

[6E] what's the device rating for smart gun?

• 6 Replies

marfish

• Newb
« on: <02-22-22/0126:29> »
I remember there is a referent table for all the device that unspecific in 5e, is it applicable in 6e?

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-22-22/1736:23> »
what's the device rating for smart gun?

I remember there is a referent table for all the device that unspecific in 5e, is it applicable in 6e?
Yes.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <02-23-22/0324:50> »
what's the device rating for smart gun?

Yes.
I must ask what you're basing this on, since I can't find info on it in the Seattle edition.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-23-22/0531:30> »
I must ask what you're basing this on, since I can't find info on it in the Seattle edition.
SR5 (as with all [clarifying but perhaps redundant] rules that are missing in SR6).
It was also mentioned here

Let me turn the question around.
If the device rating of a firearm is no longer 2 in SR6, what is it then (and what are you basing this change on).

I generally find it much harder to argue strict RAW when it comes to SR6.
Many rule-related questions seem to boil down to RAI + references to previous edition :-/
« Last Edit: <02-23-22/0537:50> by Xenon »

Banshee

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <02-23-22/0901:51> »
SR5 (as with all [clarifying but perhaps redundant] rules that are missing in SR6).
It was also mentioned here

If the device rating of a firearm is no longer 2 in SR6, what is it then (and what are you basing this change on).

I generally find it much harder to argue strict RAW when it comes to SR6.
Many rule-related questions seem to boil down to RAI + references to previous edition :-/

FYI ..  yes the chart is still applicable, but no it has not appeared in any official printing... yet (but it is coming just don't know when)
Robert "Banshee" Volbrecht
Freelancer & FAQ Committee member
Former RPG Lead Agent
Catalyst Demo Team

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #5 on: <02-23-22/1115:36> »
See here's the big difference: If I were to answer that question, I'd go 'Books haven't stated anything, you could use the following as base'. But you stated your 2 as a certain fact without any clarification where that came from. Do you understand my concern?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-23-22/1232:10> »
If we were arguing rules in SR5, then yes, I would fully understand (and would fully agree with) your concern.

For SR6 however, in many instances you are unfortunately almost required to have knowledge about how we used to resolve them in previous edition in order to correctly resolve them in SR6. In many cases SR6 seem to be focused on RAI more than RAW.

Yes, there are no clarifying or redundant rules talking about the device rating table (as we had in SR5) and the clarifying [but perhaps redundant] table with guiding examples (that we used to have copies of in both in the Matrix Chapter and the Street Gear Chapter) is also missing. But the intent seem to be that we should still use the guidance from the device rating table we had in the previous edition (even though it is not actually spelled out, or rather because there is actually nothing spelled out indicating the opposite).

yes the chart is still applicable, but no it has not appeared in any official printing... yet (but it is coming just don't know when)
Thank you for confirming :-)