NEWS

HMHVV

• 27 Replies

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #15 on: <10-01-10/1934:32> »
Maybe it can then.  I wouldn't allow it, but I like playing up the horror of being one of the Infected, so there's that.   ;)

I don't know what the older versions of the magic creation rules and Drain codes are.  It just seems logical to me that restoring Attributes would be a bit more difficult, and strenuous, than restoring health.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #16 on: <10-01-10/2048:43> »
Look at it this way: With Cellular Regen, you're fighting Magic with Technology, two things that are diametrically opposite. HMHVV is a magical disease, so it will tend to be more resilient to magic.

Personally, though, if the story called for it, I'd allow it.

NottiDredd

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <10-01-10/2124:26> »
Okay, so maybe toughing it out is what I should actually be doing at this point...still gonna write the spell, might be able to make some money on the side maybe a little extra karma with some charity healing work.  Be nice to have someone around that can repair that old run injury that's been bothering your shootin' arm for the last year, you know, the one you can't afford to actually fix because of all the gear you got in your body already.

Dead Monky

• Omae
  • I demand tacos!
« Reply #18 on: <10-01-10/2128:56> »
If you've got enough gear in you, magic probably isn't your best bet for getting your arm fixed.

MJBurrage

• Newb
  • Running shadows since 2050
« Reply #19 on: <10-07-10/1306:43> »
As noted previously Running Wild (p.57, 67) clarifies HMHVV as follows (note the additions to HMHVV Ia from the earlier post):
  • HMHVV I: Ghilani vrykolakiviridae
    Isolated 2034 by Dr. Emil Harz and Dr. Carla Greenbaum
    • Dwarves become goblins
    • Elves become banshees
    • Humans become vampires
    • Orks become wendigos
    • Trolls become dzoo-noo-qua
  • HMHVV Ia: Ghilani vrykolakiviridae sanguisuga
    Isolated 2046 by Dr. Wilhelm Bruckner and Dr. Günther Langer
    • Humans become nosferatu
    • Trolls usually die, but may become mutaqua
    • All other metatypes die, barring one case where an elf survived to become a nosferatu
  • HMHVV II: Ghilani moneriviridae
    Isolated 2039 by Dr. John Russell Jarka and Dr. Michelle Criscione
    • Dwarves become gnawers
    • Elves become harvesters
    • Humans become loup-garous
    • Orks become grendels
    • Sasquatches become bandersnatchii
    • Trolls become fomóraig
  • HMHVV III: Ghilani wichtiviridae
    Isolated 2051 by Dr. Jeffrey Krieger
    • All metahumans become ghouls

The relevant author—Patrick Goodman—released some material cut from Running Wild for space that adds:
  • HMHVV I: Ghilani vrykolakiviridae
    • Sasquatch become Jabberwocks

See HMHVV and Jabberwocks at the Sixth World Wiki for more detail.

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #20 on: <10-07-10/1310:19> »
See HMHVV and Jabberwocks at the Sixth World Wiki for more detail.

Why exactly are all new HMHVV II forms first encountered in North America? :P

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #21 on: <10-07-10/2318:02> »
Because when I wrote the thing originally, back for SR3 about, oh, seven years or so ago (I'd have to go check my archives for a more exact figure), I wasn't getting much in the way of cooperation from European freelancers, or the European branch of the company that held the license (that would be FanPro). Mostly FanPro. Being of a grudge-holding bent at the time, I said to myself, "Self...fuck it." And they were all found in the Western Hemisphere from that point.

I almost had harvesters appearing in Sao Paolo, but changed my mind since I wanted something to be from Texas. Not enough was known when I first wrote the thing about Asamondo so the gnawer, which I wanted to go alongside the ghoul, was first found in Chicago. Can't recall offhand why grendels turned up in Pittsburgh first. I think I was watching a football game at the time, and the Steelers were playing.

If it makes you feel better, you can just say that it's because I'm an America-centric jerk. I'm not apologizing for it, however.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <10-07-10/2356:35> »
I KNEW that's what happened with the Grendels!

There wasn't any other real reason to put ANYTHING near Pittsburgh ;)  Seriously Pirates, 100+ losses for the season??

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #23 on: <10-08-10/0912:24> »
Well, Jack, it's also possible I just picked it out of a hat (literally; I've done that on more than one occasion when something really didn't matter too much), hit "I'm feeling lucky" on Google until a city name came up, or asked my girlfriend at the time to randomly name a US city. I honestly don't remember, but the football game seems right to me for some reason. Memory is such a funny thing....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Frostriese

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <10-08-10/0958:04> »
Because when I wrote the thing originally, back for SR3 about, oh, seven years or so ago (I'd have to go check my archives for a more exact figure), I wasn't getting much in the way of cooperation from European freelancers, or the European branch of the company that held the license (that would be FanPro). Mostly FanPro. Being of a grudge-holding bent at the time, I said to myself, "Self...fuck it." And they were all found in the Western Hemisphere from that point.

As much I liked FanPro having held the licenses for all three of my favourite universes, I must say their attempt to basically split SR into SR North America and SR Europe (at least thats the impression I got) was a bit... disastrous. Contradictions galore form that time from both sides of the Atlantic, too. So I guess I can understand where you are coming from, even though I dont know all the background of what happened back then.

I almost had harvesters appearing in Sao Paolo, but changed my mind since I wanted something to be from Texas. Not enough was known when I first wrote the thing about Asamondo so the gnawer, which I wanted to go alongside the ghoul, was first found in Chicago. Can't recall offhand why grendels turned up in Pittsburgh first. I think I was watching a football game at the time, and the Steelers were playing.
Really now, Grendels should have been first found in Britain, wheat with Beowulf and all :p Though of course Britain already has the Formoraig... and those Nosferatu-strain Trolls...

If it makes you feel better, you can just say that it's because I'm an America-centric jerk. I'm not apologizing for it, however.
Nah, its no problem. After all, as always, if its really becomes a problem it doesnt necessarily need to happen in my gameworld :D

Coldbringer

• Newb
« Reply #25 on: <10-12-10/1638:56> »
In my old 2nd edition game although a lot of that has followed to my new SR4 game i ran with the idea from Earthdawn that the Horrors are connected to the virus.  More a less the virus came from a horror being killed and devoured by the starving desperate inhabitants of a K'aer (the dungeons/scourge fallout shelters of Earthdawn).  The horror took on new life and change the inhabitants of the K'aer and that is were the virus came from originally.
http://veggeek.wordpress.com
Gaming, pop culture and what not.

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #26 on: <11-16-10/1408:54> »
Inb fact, I am quite currious about the connection between Horrors and HMHVV

I remember that some magician/vampire hunter in 6th World Almanach was talking about the future evil infected mean

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #27 on: <11-16-10/1653:23> »
Inb fact, I am quite currious about the connection between Horrors and HMHVV

I remember that some magician/vampire hunter in 6th World Almanach was talking about the future evil infected mean
Quite possible. Sounds as Foul Folk/Corrupted/Horror Marked to me...
And remember, Horrors can kill you, then raise you from the dead in two ways - one, make you into a Cadaver Man, which is basically a fast, nimble Zombie, that flings into rage, when hurt, and speeds up even more (+3 attacks/round), or use Unnatural Life, to make you a rotting undead with his mind and memory whole, but under his supervision...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."