NEWS

Horror Marks

• 29 Replies

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #15 on: <11-18-10/1426:11> »
He's watching the gap for all horrors. And only the bigger ones would be powerful to build a bridge over the gap. Smaller ones would "tagalong" across the gap, but they can't bridge it on their own. You need MORE mana for the smaller ones to come across.

Okay, that's doesn't make sense either, otherwise the most powerful would be able to come across now...

Gods, I hate magical theory. Much easier to just tell the mage to blow up the building. Let me work on my theory a bit and I'll get back to you.
Well, they have enough skill to work with what they've got, reaching into our world on a micro-level and influencing plots to open the way from inside, as illustrated by all those examples in this thread. That's why they're so powerfull. But wvwn they need mana spikes and cults dedicated to their goals to stay.

And as The_Gun_Nut wrote - they could work something out. But with difficulty. That's why metaplot characters managed to spoil their fun for now...

I bet in some time - maybe with the finale of the Dawn of Artifacts series - there will be a Big Bad Horror to beat for the players and their allies.
Now imagine all that power contained in artifacts that remained from the Fourth World used to create a mana spike. That'd be neat for Bone Crown, for example.

This would vary according to the "species" of Horror, and would mean that any that managed to stay during the downcycle (like Yrsgrathe) had to work very hard to maintain themselves in high mana/specialized areas.
As with the Great Dragons, and metahumans, who needed a certain amount of magic to survive. Some Horrors might have devised a way to stay hidden during downtime. But they still would need more magic to wake up.
With some exceptions. Verjigorm, for example. I don't think he even plays by the same rules...
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <11-18-10/1430:09> »
Remind me to talk about my theory about the origin of dragons and the Horrors.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #17 on: <11-18-10/1437:23> »
Is it far off the one in Dragons?
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #18 on: <11-18-10/1437:53> »
@Kot: Yeah... It's exactly why I hate magical theory. It's about as stable as String theory ;D

Basically, think of the Horrors as that great mystical Jedi handwave from the GM. "Don't worry about how they got here, just figure out how to stop them."

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #19 on: <11-18-10/1454:44> »
Is it far off the one in Dragons?
It's based off the legend of Verjigorm in Horrors.  I think the dragons came from the same metaplanar space as the Horrors, possibly to escape them.  They migrated here, and started making alterations of the native populace before realizing that things here are different and don't react the same way that creatures did on the previous metaplane.  It fixed them in place here (so they don't vanish in the downcycle, but that could be for another reason), and created a slew of other problems.
There is no overkill.

Gideon

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <11-18-10/1956:55> »
Actually I believe the Horrors have two considerations for crossing-over:
1) How much power ti takes to bridge the distance.  the rubric: If a score of 10 is needed, then Mana at 2, needs Horro of power 8...
2) How much ambiant Mana they need to survive. (Evanesence) - I always assumed they needed half their power, so IF they need 1/2 Power rating, then a Horror rateda t an 8 needs Mana at a 4...

So while many could cross over early, they could not survive...some used the spikes of mana to allow weaker Horrors to cross over MUCH earlier. 

And I would assume that the Innoculations that Dunkalzahn demanded occur for all infants born after October 29th, 2060...might have been a reference to the Baby killing Horror being able to return...

Plus there is a cache of imprisoned spirits and Horrors in Australia (reference the original novel trilogy)

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #21 on: <11-19-10/0807:51> »
And I would assume that the Innoculations that Dunkalzahn demanded occur for all infants born after October 29th, 2060...might have been a reference to the Baby killing Horror being able to return...

Plus there is a cache of imprisoned spirits and Horrors in Australia (reference the original novel trilogy)
Well, you have a point there. That'd be it, probably. ;P
And as for those spirits, they were great forms, i think that's from the trilogy that was translated to polish as a promotional for the 2nd edition SR. And i think the one that the main character freed was a Spider Great Form spirit...

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #22 on: <11-19-10/0906:17> »

Wait... whoa...

What if the inoculations were for a mutated breed of VITAS (or something similiar) that "jumped" to becoming a Technovirus? Think about it... They are now finding all the Technocritters coming out of the woodwork, the next step would be computer viruses that don't just infect computers.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #23 on: <11-19-10/0921:12> »
That'd be even worse... Hmmm... So, what's with those kids that didn't get it? And - why the hell D would know something like that?

P.S. That Horror isn't anything, but a mention in the ED history. So it could be anything. Even not a Horror at all. It could be that someone just used really, really evil magic.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #24 on: <11-19-10/0935:40> »
D knew a LOT of what was coming, why not the new wireless and technomagi? He saw the orichalcum rush and such...

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #25 on: <11-19-10/1015:06> »
D knew a LOT of what was coming, why not the new wireless and technomagi? He saw the orichalcum rush and such...
But that was more because he saw these before. Like the Orichalcum Wars of the Fourth World. And yes, there probably will be fighting over orichalcum again. ;P

Gideon

• Newb
« Reply #26 on: <11-19-10/1037:19> »
I always thought Big D's interest in the Matrix was partially driven by how cool the little humans could be, and how useful the Matrix could be to keep purely astral entities out.

He and every immortal saw a pale reflection of the Astral.

D saw a place to share that would work even during the next scourage.

I agree most Big Ds predictions were around the cycle of magic.  I always assumed his long term dates were calculated in relation to the global mana levels.

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #27 on: <11-19-10/1109:56> »
Oh, I agree. His predictions were around the cycle of magic.

Now, being the curious little lizard he was, what if he started comparing the Matrix and it's earlier Internet/WWW cousins to the mana ebb and flows. In other words, he starts looking at Technology in the same way as Mana. Starts applying some of his mystical formulas to the Technology curve and, voilá, starts to see patterns forming. At first, it humors him, but then the otaku appear, just when and where the formulas tell him they will...

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #28 on: <11-19-10/1203:59> »
Well, he was always curious like that, and had a soft spot for metahumans. Some even survived the Scourge in his lair (though they could've been drakes).

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #29 on: <11-19-10/1442:57> »
He saved an entire village of Namegivers (ED word for "sentients").  That village became dedicated to their savior.

That wyrm knew how to hit people's happy buttons.
There is no overkill.