NEWS

How would -you- have handled this?

• 14 Replies

Tassyr

• Chummer
« on: <09-11-17/1425:45> »
So I admit I don't usually like GMing. But when the group I was trying to join lost their GM, I sorta got elected. Okay, it was going to be a small crew, but I figured that'd help me handle it. The problem...?

The guys wanted to directly import their chars from the previous game. The one I wasn't around for. That was run with a very loose attachment to the canon in general. One of the two wanted to run a face/mage. Simple enough, not a lot of guff. The other guy wanted to keep his char because of the 'character development' from the previous game. Problem is...

Pyromaniac elf decker with a flamethrower who hears voices insisting the world must shape up or burn, a flame spirit ally, a troll sister, and human parents.

I basically tried to explain that there's some pretty big holes canon-wise at least as far as I understand it, and promptly got told they wouldn't play if they couldn't play that char. So, the game fizzled. Was that on me for not seeing how to make this work, or what?
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

ShadowcatX

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-11-17/1438:33> »
I would have handled it the same. As a general rule I always want new characters for my games.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-11-17/1614:27> »
Well, technically human parents can have kids that turn into elves and trolls in puberty. It's rare now, but possible.

But yeah, that elf character concept sounds like a nightmare for a new GM to handle - at least if he doesn't plan to run a very pink mohawk game - so I can see why you were reluctant to play.
But honestly: If you are dealing with such uncompromising players the chance is high that you wouldn't have much fun running games for them. And if you don't have fun why play at all?
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #3 on: <09-11-17/1647:27> »
Honestly I don't even really enjoy gming that much. But it's been over four years since I ran in any tabletop game that lasted past chargen and maybe session 1, and even the ones in 2013 ended badly so I think I just got desperate. XD
"There's a reason Johnsons are named what they are. They'll try and fuck you at some point, no doubt about it." -Camulus

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #4 on: <09-11-17/1650:04> »
If I were to GM a game, I would insist on freshly built characters, at the least. Don't care if they import CONCEPTS from prior characters, but they would be built new for my game, so I have full right of veto over everything that goes into them without panties getting in a twist.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Spooky

• Omae
  • If you run, you'll only die tired.
« Reply #5 on: <09-11-17/1703:04> »
+1 to Mirikon
Spooky, what do you do this pass? Shoot him with my thunderstruck gauss rifle. (Rolls)  8 hits. Does that blow his head off?

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-12-17/1039:23> »
+1 from me too

HougH!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #7 on: <09-15-17/0117:23> »
Where in the world do people continue to get the impression that people can morph into elves and dwarves at puberty?  Goblinization is rare - still possible, but rare enough - but that's still restricted to orks and trolls.  If they're an elf or dwarf, they were either born that way, or they got messed up by Halley's Comet during the SuRGE year of '62; this is the only time in SR canon that a living non-elf/dwarf transformed into an elf or dwarf.

When it comes to the 'pyromaniac elf decker with a flamethrower who hears voices insisting the world must shape up or burn, a flame spirit ally, a troll sister, and human parents', the only thing that would give me pause would be the flame spirit ally - if by ally it is meant 'ally spirit', as per the actual rules, e.g. a specific spirit that a mage designs and conjures (and pays karma for) in order to have its assistance in his magical workings.  Elf decker?  No problem.  Pyromaniac?  Go ahead.  Hears voices telling him to burn things?  If that's what you want.  Troll sister?  Sure, sure.  Human parents?  Fine, fine.  Ally spirit?

... let's just say 'are you suuuuure???'  Because the GM smiling beatifically at something that might be a messed-up request should send every player screaming for the hills.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Tassyr

• Chummer
« Reply #8 on: <09-15-17/0338:48> »
Well, I admit part of the problem is I'm way, way, WAY inexperienced as a GM. I don't particularly enjoy it, and prefer to be a player. So I was real wary of such an off-the-wall concept.

As for where they got the impression- well, the guy who introduced them to the setting and GM'd the previous setup claimed to be an expert and said he'd explain it all to 'em. He admitted later that he only read part of one of the books, got bored, and made the rest up.

Elf Decker and Pyromaniac don't give me pause, frankly. But the 'hearing voices...' That makes me confused. And the multi-metatype family was just confusing to me. That spirit was a huge sticking point of theirs, though.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <09-15-17/0730:13> »
In SR, it's all possible.  Hearing voices?  Obviously crazy - or else that 'ally spirit' is actually a malevolent spirit of some sort (GM's choice as to what attitude) with a nasty spirit pact (again, GM's choice as to what type), who is 'whispering' into the PC's head.  I mean, it honestly is a recipe for 'congratulations, you were stupid and now you're dead, let's make a decent character for you, huh?' a few runs down the road, but if their previous GM was such a tosser he couldn't be bothered to actually read any of it - and I've had just such an encounter myself, someone who played once about ten years ago, and played a lot more World of Darkness / Storyteller System, so he 'knew' how the game was played, and 'knew' the background ... well, he had his gaming group who thought that his every idea was fantastic, so ... :P

Honestly, though, if it's a player going 'it's this or nothing', you - as the reluctant GM - are probably better with saying 'nothing' anyhow, so don't sweat it.  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

October

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <12-28-17/1029:00> »
So did those guys ever come back around for a game or is it still a non-starter? 

As a GM currently running a game, the spirit ally for a non-Awakened character, that would be a no go in my game as well too. 

farothel

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <12-29-17/0611:37> »
My Shadowrun GM would have been like Wyrm.  'Sure, go ahead' and then make you regret your choices ten times over until you come to your senses.  So in our group we have learned not to come with concepts like that.  We can still get pretty crazy, but in a playable way.  And a disfunctional party is very fun to have, as long as the characters can work together and still be playable.
"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
"I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute"

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <01-08-18/1942:38> »
Yeah I probably would have insisted on new characters as well. :)
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Gardensnake

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <01-09-18/2037:01> »
Where in the world do people continue to get the impression that people can morph into elves and dwarves at puberty?  Goblinization is rare - still possible, but rare enough - but that's still restricted to orks and trolls.  If they're an elf or dwarf, they were either born that way, or they got messed up by Halley's Comet during the SuRGE year of '62; this is the only time in SR canon that a living non-elf/dwarf transformed into an elf or dwarf.

I would guess it's possibly a hold over from the 2nd Edition Core Rulebook. The paragraph about UGE (Unexplained Genetic Expression)was left out of at least one of the printings. Goblinization was talked about, but not UGE. I had a friend, who like myself was a big Shadowrun fan, that started with 2nd Edition. I mentioned UGE during one of our discussions once and he looked at me like I had started talking about another setting. I showed him my 1st edition book and the part about UGE.

William

Haaly

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <05-01-18/1756:58> »
Personally I would have said "suuuuuure, go ahead" make sure that "ally spirit" was in fact a free spirit with a spirit pact taking some karma every now and then, and then went ahead to write up a way for him to find out that this weird family of his were his handlers in the mental facility he escaped from.

This guy would most likely accrue a lot of Notoriety which would mean that a team of highly trained physads with fire resistant clothing would eventually find him and eviscerate him. Slowly.