NEWS

Kicking off Missions - Season 3 or 4 to start?

• 7 Replies

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« on: <04-25-13/1500:24> »
I'm kicking off running missions at my FLGS (Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie, MD) twice a month in a couple weeks. We're going to start off with SR4 missions to build up momentum and jump to 5 at some point.

My question is, should I start with Season 4 or Season 3? At twice a month, Season 4 (plus perhaps Elven Blood mixed in?) should carry us through to the end of the year - but will there be enough of Season 5 to keep rolling at that point? Starting with Season 3 clearly gives me some more buffer.

For what it's worth, I'm assuming that I'll have enough players for one regular group, probably a core with others floating in and out. If I do manage to get enough for two groups then life becomes a little easier, I can just run the same mission twice that month for the different teams.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Dr. Meatgrinder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • CDT Field Agent (#483)
« Reply #1 on: <04-25-13/2057:22> »
It depends.  Season 5 has been announced to include a character reboot--no transfers from Season 4 (except Prime Runners, who can only play in Prime Runner Missions, once one actually drops).  Once Season 5 starts (at Origins), you'll pretty much be limited to Season 5 Missions at cons.

If you just want to play (a home game), start with any season you like.  But if you're looking to play the same characters all the way through, you might think about starting in Season 3 (or maybe even 2, which is downloadable from the SR website, but you might hit the "promotion" threshold going into Season 4 if you play all of Seasons 2 and 3).
Guiding principle for game balance:  Players avoid underpowered stuff and flock to overpowered stuff.
Missions Freelancer (SRM 04-10 Romero & Juliette, SRM 05-01 Chasin' the Wind, SRM 06-06 Falling Angels, PM-02 A Holy Piece of Wetwork)

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #2 on: <04-25-13/2116:42> »
Appreciate the response, but I'm thinking you didn't read the particulars of the situation.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <04-25-13/2135:02> »
Just do the idea you came up with with Season 4 and a little Elven Blood. There should be plenty to use between the two batches.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <04-26-13/0655:49> »
Maybe start with Copycat Killer to buy an extra month. It predates Season 4 with several months after all.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <04-29-13/0829:30> »
Start with Season 3, because the extra 13 modules will give you a much longer window for Season 5 to get a decent volume released, and a much longer window for CGL to release additional material for SR5.

artent

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <04-29-13/1231:24> »
Having run or played in most of seasons 2 and 3 I'd actually recommend running select missions from season 2 and mostly skipping season 3 or doing a few select ones from it.   Season 2 has a larger overall pool of missions to pick from, it has an easier to deal with mechanic(affiliations were a neat idea but don't really feel like they work well).   Overall I think season 2 has superior quality.

Tarislar

• Ace Runner
  • Uzi's + Fireballs .... Why I love Shadowrun!
« Reply #7 on: <01-17-15/2027:36> »
Maybe start with Copycat Killer to buy an extra month. It predates Season 4 with several months after all.
Hate to necro but I saw this & had to ask what the final decision was?  How did it turn out?  And add that MC has a solid plan there with CCK first.
My GM is running Season-4 for us now.
A few of the Sprawl Wilds & all of Elven Blood as well as CCK are all in/near Seattle so it blends with Season-4 location well.  (Maybe a couple others?)

AFAIK, for the Karma limit, I think Season-2 & 3 will get you there for sure if you don't mind the location change.
Meanwhile Season-4 + Extras will likely leave you a little short.