NEWS

Prologue idea to get the players acclimated to the world and gameplay...thoughts

• 2 Replies

cgibboney

• Newb
« on: <05-13-19/1531:39> »
I wanted to start them out directly in the fight, action started and all...but at the same time keep it simple for them.

Below is the outline of the first session or two of the game...it is directly tied into the game and campaign story, but they will not be playing these characters after the prologue is completed.

The characters will be pregen'ed (created by me) so they can try out what they are interested in first to make sure that is what they want to play. I am just not sure on the power level of these advanced characters, it might be too much for some of them as most of them have not ever played shadowrun (or even heard of it before I said it is the next game I am running)

I am looking for help and suggestions, thank you...

The (Prologue) Story: 01
Activate an Ares Macrotechnology “Thor Shot” satellite system…

The Job:
You are a member a squad of Tir Ghosts and you have been tasked with eliminating a Bio-Chemical Facility owned by the Saeder-Krupp corporation located in the jungles of South Africa.
- Tir Ghosts (a once feared elite special forces in allegiance to the elven nations of Tir)
     - In comparison, they are now thought of as a joke, or a husk of their former glory.
     - You are an old relic, when the ghosts were something meaningful, not like they are now.

You followed “High Prince Lugh Surehand” to South Africa and are the last of his loyal protectors left, sworn to protect him.
- An oath you take seriously! He has requested you perform this last task for the Zulu nation
You know this is a suicide mission as there is no way back and even if you gain control of the orbital weapon to fire and destroy the facility, Ares will quickly respond to take it back.
- You will also not allow yourself to be taken alive.

The Catch:
The only catch is there is no coming back from this mission.
- One shot propulsion craft to get you there

The Run:
- Locations:   Orbital Weapon Platform
 - Weather:   no weather in space…

The NPCs: {[n] = rating (0 – 6) / (xN) = number of)}
Neutral:   Scientist/Operators {[2] (x8)}
Hostile:   Nested Security Host {[11]}, Security Drones {[4] (x6)}, Security Team {[6] (x3 teams of 3)}
                Security Lieutenant – Combat Mage {[6] (x3)}, Bound Spirits {[4] (x3)}

The Rewards:
You complete the task…
- Character creation
You have failed the task…
- Character creation
« Last Edit: <05-13-19/1556:52> by cgibboney »

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <05-16-19/1713:07> »
Wow, sounds like fun. My first comment is that, if you give them really souped-up characters for this one-shot, then guide them through standard character creation, you might need to manage their expetations more than you normally would.
Also, for their first run, you're sending them to space? That'll probably make things more complicated, especially if they're never going back to space.
If you're giving them pre-made characters, how about turning the perspective around? The PCs become a bunch of workers in the secret S-K facility, with their issued equipment and authority over the other workers, and have to fend off a shadowrun of uncoordinated runners you've also made up? That'll show them what not to do, what they might expect, and afterwards, they get to make up their own characters, and hear about a Thor Shot made at South Africa later. (Maybe those runners sent in as a distraction, or by a third party with know knowledge of what the Ghosts are doing?)
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

markelphoenix

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <08-18-19/2227:13> »
I wanted to start them out directly in the fight, action started and all...but at the same time keep it simple for them.

Below is the outline of the first session or two of the game...it is directly tied into the game and campaign story, but they will not be playing these characters after the prologue is completed.

The characters will be pregen'ed (created by me) so they can try out what they are interested in first to make sure that is what they want to play. I am just not sure on the power level of these advanced characters, it might be too much for some of them as most of them have not ever played shadowrun (or even heard of it before I said it is the next game I am running)

I am looking for help and suggestions, thank you...

The (Prologue) Story: 01
Activate an Ares Macrotechnology “Thor Shot” satellite system…

The Job:
You are a member a squad of Tir Ghosts and you have been tasked with eliminating a Bio-Chemical Facility owned by the Saeder-Krupp corporation located in the jungles of South Africa.
- Tir Ghosts (a once feared elite special forces in allegiance to the elven nations of Tir)
     - In comparison, they are now thought of as a joke, or a husk of their former glory.
     - You are an old relic, when the ghosts were something meaningful, not like they are now.

You followed “High Prince Lugh Surehand” to South Africa and are the last of his loyal protectors left, sworn to protect him.
- An oath you take seriously! He has requested you perform this last task for the Zulu nation
You know this is a suicide mission as there is no way back and even if you gain control of the orbital weapon to fire and destroy the facility, Ares will quickly respond to take it back.
- You will also not allow yourself to be taken alive.

The Catch:
The only catch is there is no coming back from this mission.
- One shot propulsion craft to get you there

The Run:
- Locations:   Orbital Weapon Platform
 - Weather:   no weather in space…

The NPCs: {[n] = rating (0 – 6) / (xN) = number of)}
Neutral:   Scientist/Operators {[2] (x8)}
Hostile:   Nested Security Host {[11]}, Security Drones {[4] (x6)}, Security Team {[6] (x3 teams of 3)}
                Security Lieutenant – Combat Mage {[6] (x3)}, Bound Spirits {[4] (x3)}

The Rewards:
You complete the task…
- Character creation
You have failed the task…
- Character creation

Hmmm, a lot of this may set the wrong expectations for what Shadowrun is over all.

Have you considered a small group of friends within a local gang deciding to try their hand at running the shadows? Would be a good way to introduce them to the power curve, with the explicit understand that this is a one shot....because they will all die. Lots of opportunities to introduce the concept of how insignificant individuals and Runner teams are when compared against the might of a AAA or a Dragon. Should help set the bar for, "Oh drek, that is how powerful they are...what did the gangers do wrong that got them caught? What could they have identified from their Johnson that would of tipped them off of a double cross?"