NEWS

Legends questions

• 50 Replies

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #15 on: <06-09-12/0004:16> »
I'll admit that Thorn is someone I don't want to write for. I can't get the dang Lucky Charms voice out of my head and it taints everything I try and manage with him. I had to physically restrain myself from writing "Boyo" instead of "Boy" in a passage from him, and that hurt.
No need to restrain yourself as far as I'm concerned.  I've done it myself, from time to time (when the editors don't think it's a typo and "fix" it).  I know folks today that narrate into a microphone and have their computer type for them;  I could certainly see Thorn doing the same, for Jackpoint, and his accent coming through every now and then.

If we add a couple of southerners (Kane doesn't count, because, well, he's *Kane*) then I'll be sure to thwack people for miss-using Y'all. :)
Hell, I had Hard Exit shout "Hook 'em Horns" in one of my posts, and I'm sure I've had her use a y'all or two.  The gal's a Texan, that's pretty danged southern. 

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #16 on: <06-09-12/0011:49> »
No need to restrain yourself as far as I'm concerned.  I've done it myself, from time to time (when the editors don't think it's a typo and "fix" it).  I know folks today that narrate into a microphone and have their computer type for them;  I could certainly see Thorn doing the same, for Jackpoint, and his accent coming through every now and then.
Considering that Iconliteracy far exceeds actual literacy in Shadowrun, the majority of people use "Voice-To-Text" systems to "write" things.  And have for over 20-years.

Ironically, Shadowrunners probably have the highest percentage of literacy compared to any other "Blue Collar" job.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #17 on: <06-09-12/0434:44> »
Oh, also - Software and commlink ratings up to 9 and 10. Am I missing a sourcebook somewhere?
Generally just assume that megacorp CEOs, national militaries, dragons, and immortal elves can afford the bleeding edge stuff that is going to be SOTA in a few years. Afterall, who do you think MAKES all those SOTA programs?

Clockwork?

And...related to original question...from answers above it seems that yes, you can ignore rules to create characters who are really awesome.. Because not only they need to have 4,5,6 as a success, but also they need uncontrolled growth in Edge dicepool.

But...I can see that this is the kind of arguments that lead to the first thread locked. I sincerely hope that there will be some kind of erratta AND reprint that put things back on rails. But it seems that its not going to happen until next edition (since it seems nobody in CGL really cares about correcting once published stuff).
« Last Edit: <06-09-12/0447:18> by Sichr »

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <06-09-12/1107:37> »
When I'm creating any NPC (which I tend to do "by eye" rather than sticking exactly to a budget), I base their Edge stat off the Professional Rating for grunts.  Seems to work out pretty well for me.

Hell, there's a 60-Karma PC at my table who has Magic 6 and Edge 6.  He's the face.   :o
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <06-09-12/1115:34> »
Judging by your reaction, I'm guessing he's not a social adept.

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <06-09-12/1137:27> »
The karma budget was "Best judgement." Thorn's been an active spy/terrorist/runner for most of the twenty-first century. Lugh Surehand has been around a long, long time.
According to calculation, Thorn "weights" 2969 karma (an average of 50 karma per year), and Luch Surehand 4211, plus contacts and money.

Yeah, sometimes I do get bored.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #21 on: <06-09-12/1213:46> »
But...I can see that this is the kind of arguments that lead to the first thread locked. I sincerely hope that there will be some kind of erratta AND reprint that put things back on rails. But it seems that its not going to happen until next edition (since it seems nobody in CGL really cares about correcting once published stuff).

You'd need to talk to someone on the publishing side for that, but, I believe that eratta gets added in for later printings. The first, and often second, are out before the things the playtesters and proofreaders miss are caught by the larger base. (Keep in mind, a half dozen proofreaders versus a thousand gamers means that the larger pool will catch things that squeeze through.) ... once these are detailed and compiled, an online eratta gets made, which then gets cycled in for future print runs. It can take a while for a run to drain, mind you, and if a book sells slowly, it can be seemingly forever until the corrections get in. On some products, there *is* no reprint, and the online remains the only option. (This you see mostly on adventures, which are low sellers, instead of sourcebooks, which sell well.)

PDFs are tech that I know nothing about in terms of layout and the like. I'd *think* that it's easier, but, I know that there're technical complexities to them that traditional printing doesn't have. One of the smart people will be along to whap me in the head with actual details, I'm sure.

The big thing is to keep error threads on point, "Page 13, paragraph four, 'Teh' shoudl be 'The"' is fine, as would be, "Page 74, Damien Knight is the CEO, not Richard Villers"  ... things like "Lofwyr retiring to focus on his quilting hobby is STUPID and you should die in a fire" is, obviously, not. :) All of us make mistakes, so helping to catch and correct them is handy.

A personal example, in Twilight Horizon, I made a booboo in my draft. Kane's one true love is a lass by the name of Kat. I managed a mental hiccup that this was Kat-o-Nine-Tales, the Jackpointer. I had a bit of banter between the two of them about the release of 'Kat in the Kradle', a 'romantic adventure' sim that was due to be released. Problem is? Wrong Kat. D'oh. Jason corrected that one for me, so the error never saw print (thank goodness!)  The stuff that DOES get caught never gets seen, since the drafts never get released, but the handful that make it past do, which colors perception.

I shudder to think of what would happen if my raw drafts got out, chalk full or spelling errors, first-passes before cleanup, and so on. The guys up the chain work their collective tushes off to make the writers look good, but they only get complaints over what's missed, not compliments on what's caught, since that work is invisible.

To throw a analogy out there, take a gander at your local McDonalds. When an order gets messed up, people get upset, sometimes downright angry, and will raise a small fuss. Some people go and raise a huge to-do about it, demand to see a manager, and throw a fit. How many people ever ask for a managr and say, "Hey, my order came out just the way I wanted it, the cashier was kind, and everything was fast. I just wanted to say thank you, and ask you to pass that on to the crew for a job well done."

Do that, just one time, and people will *beam* at you, because no one ever gets thanked for 'just doing the job', but they get nailed when something goes wrong.

Mind you, I have a singel chapter of a single book under my belt, so, I'm not the expert here, but I can't tell you how much *I* appreciate the proofers and the editors. I'm a rookie writer. I'm gonna make mistakes, soem small (A few words I can never spell), some fairly large (Wrong Kat!), and some that might be huge (No, Wak, Lofwyr is not a skunk. Where would you even *get* that from?!) ... luckily, they've got my back.

I think I've rambled enough. Keep reading, and by all means, when you find errors, please pass it along! Can't get better unless we know where mistakes are.

-- Wak

Sichr

• Prime Runner
  • TOTÁLNÍ FAŠÍRKA ZMRDI !!!
« Reply #22 on: <06-09-12/1311:55> »

... ... once these are detailed and compiled, an online eratta gets made, which then gets cycled in for future print runs. It can take a while for a run to drain, mind you, and if a book sells slowly, it can be seemingly forever until the corrections get in. On some products, there *is* no reprint, and the online remains the only option. (This you see mostly on adventures, which are low sellers, instead of sourcebooks, which sell well.)

I only want to point out Arsenal reprint without Erratta being incorporated to the text, one for all. if you show this kind of professionalism to your local Johnson, you never get called again :)

Big John

• Newb
« Reply #23 on: <06-09-12/1343:21> »
The karma budget was "Best judgement." Thorn's been an active spy/terrorist/runner for most of the twenty-first century. Lugh Surehand has been around a long, long time.
According to calculation, Thorn "weights" 2969 karma (an average of 50 karma per year), and Luch Surehand 4211, plus contacts and money.

Yeah, sometimes I do get bored.

See, those numbers make perfect sense to me. 1 karma per week, with 2 weeks off for vacation per year.

What's the general consensus on runs per year? I think our group averages 1-2 per game month. With 4-6 karma gain per run, we can be as cool as Thorn in about 20 years!

Yeah, so, anyway...

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #24 on: <06-09-12/1419:20> »
And...related to original question...from answers above it seems that yes, you can ignore rules to create characters who are really awesome.. Because not only they need to have 4,5,6 as a success, but also they need uncontrolled growth in Edge dicepool.
1)  "They" don't get a success on a 4,5,6.  As an optional rule, everyone involved in a scene they're in gets a success on a 4,5,6.  If you choose to use that rule, it's there to mimic the cinematic rules (and larger-than-life nature of many of the SR novels, etc)...but, if so, then you chose to use it. 

2)  There's no uncontrolled growth in Edge.  Yeah, one guy has a 10.  It's been said -- repeatedly -- that that was a simple error.  Likewise, several of them have high Edge, but others have very high Edge.  Those with very high Edge are nothing that can't be explained away with Lucky, but for one reason or another it seems to have just not been put in.

The book's got some errors, but it's not like every writer involved was just willy-nilly making shit up as we went.  I know it's the internet, so hyperbole is the norm rather than the exception, but I think borderline threadcrapping (saying something you even even admit to being the same sort of thing that got the last thread locked) does some otherwise legitimate complaints a disservice.
« Last Edit: <06-09-12/1444:00> by Critias »

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <06-09-12/1528:09> »
See, those numbers make perfect sense to me. 1 karma per week, with 2 weeks off for vacation per year.

What's the general consensus on runs per year? I think our group averages 1-2 per game month. With 4-6 karma gain per run, we can be as cool as Thorn in about 20 years!
On the other hand, Surehand barely got one karma every two years. That's assuming karma would be somewhat gained on a linear basis. The more experienced and thus powerful a character, the rarest the situations that deserve handing karma become : a 16-years old Thorn evading a policemen raid on an IRA safehouse should have been handed more karma than a 59-years old Thorn would after single handedly defeating an entire squad of MET2000 elite mercenaries.

At some point, it becomes like if John McLane was going through an episode of NYPD Blues.
« Last Edit: <06-09-12/1536:23> by Nath »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <06-09-12/1640:29> »
At some point, it becomes like if John McLane was going through an episode of NYPD Blues.
He'd be on screen for five minutes, then put on unpaid probation due to being drunk.

EDIT:  Or for dropping fake terrorists off of buildings.  That never goes well in the media.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #27 on: <06-09-12/1748:42> »

On the other hand, Surehand barely got one karma every two years. That's assuming karma would be somewhat gained on a linear basis. The more experienced and thus powerful a character, the rarest the situations that deserve handing karma become : a 16-years old Thorn evading a policemen raid on an IRA safehouse should have been handed more karma than a 59-years old Thorn would after single handedly defeating an entire squad of MET2000 elite mercenaries.

Of course, Surehand also spent much of that time sitting pretty doing next to nothing except playing High Prince of the Tir.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Nath

• Omae
« Reply #28 on: <06-09-12/1917:32> »
Of course, Surehand also spent much of that time sitting pretty doing next to nothing except playing High Prince of the Tir.
Awarding karma
Getting the Princes Council to vote one decision: 1 karma -done-
- if Alachia was attending: +1 karma -done-
- if Lofwyr was attending: +1 karma -done-
Preventing Oregon economy from going bankrupt this month: 1 karma -done-
Making Oregon a world power: 1 karma -still pending-
Aspecting Crater Lake toward Blood Wood Magic: 1 karma -still pending-
Getting an autographed copy of Ehran latest book before the world release date: 1 karma -still pending, that obnoxious bitch-
Surviving Thorn's assassination attempt-of-the-month: 1 karma -done-
Getting a canon write-up by Nigel Findley: 1 karma -done, now try to get that point, you rookie-

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #29 on: <06-09-12/2044:52> »
Awarding karma
Getting the Princes Council to vote one decision: 1 karma -done-
- if Alachia was attending: +1 karma -done-
- if Lofwyr was attending: +1 karma -done-
Preventing Oregon economy from going bankrupt this month: 1 karma -done-
Making Oregon a world power: 1 karma -still pending-
Aspecting Crater Lake toward Blood Wood Magic: 1 karma -still pending-
Getting an autographed copy of Ehran latest book before the world release date: 1 karma -still pending, that obnoxious bitch-
Surviving Thorn's assassination attempt-of-the-month: 1 karma -done-
Getting a canon write-up by Nigel Findley: 1 karma -done, now try to get that point, you rookie-

+1 to you, sir!
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters