NEWS

Rigger, and what you need!

• 7 Replies

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« on: <03-08-11/0337:16> »
One of my players have recently decided to make a rigger character - we only made the switch to 4th edition recently, so one of the areas we havn't delved deeply into yet is rigging/hacking, to help my player a little, I thought I would ask you very knowledage people about what the essentials for a rigger is?

What drones is a MUST and how should they be modified? is there special gear they just NEED to have? - make it as detailed or as general as you like :)
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.

Kot

• Ace Runner
  • Meaow
« Reply #1 on: <03-08-11/0712:10> »
Check out their descriptions in SR4A, they're pretty suggestive, but I'd say a MCT Fly-Spy and a Doberman are a must-have. Surveillance drone and a basic combat model. :)
« Last Edit: <03-08-11/0715:24> by Kot »
Mariusz "Kot" Butrykowski
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup."

Kontact

• Prime Runner
  • You called?
« Reply #2 on: <03-08-11/0830:02> »
Oh, the undertaking of being a successful rigger...

First off, you need to codify software rules.
Can you share programs on multiple devices registered to the same owner, or, unless you crack the program to get its source code, is it a one purchase - one device situation?  This is important for things like Firewall and Analyze which every single device needs in order to keep from getting jacked by enemy techs.  Buying a rating 6 firewall for all your drones is going to double their costs up front.  It's already expensive as hell being a rigger..

Next you need to look into how he plans to rig.  The main options are remote control and jumped-in rigging.  There are threads here and on Dumpshock detailing the benefits of each.  There's also the third option of doing the Drone-marm thing and just getting good Pilots to run the drones and using Issue Command actions to direct them.

Then you need to decide what kind of game you're playing on the mirrorshades/pink mohawk spectrum.  For example, how controlled is the airspace in Seattle?  This will determine whether air support is a viable option or not.  Also, there's the matter of power-creep introduced in the This Old Drone PDF-only supplement.  If you want drones that murder everything under the sun, this will be your bible.

Here's a list of my favorite drones.  All of them need to have their sensors upgraded though.  Usually that's as simple as buying a R6 camera for 600¥.  Some should be swapped out for UWB radar sensors.  Also, autosofts.  Everybody needs autosofts.  Anyway...

Pretty much the only drone that will fit perfectly into any game is the flyspy.  Everybody needs a flyspy.

For gun ready support, the LEBD-1 is a fine choice.  Full VTOL with a weapon mount, and small enough to fit in the van.  Won't break the bank either.  It's maximum of 9 armor makes it pretty crappy for direct combat though.  Called shot for damage from a heavy pistol will crack that easily enough.

If air-space isn't a problem, I like the GTS Tower as a really good weapons platform to expand on.  Up armor it to 12 and put a nice gun on the flexible weapon mount for a start.  It really gets cooking in play when you can take advantage of the integrated multi-launch drone rack to load it up with and 8-pack of Ares Heimdall drone missiles. ;)

The Ferret RPD-1X is a fan-favorite because it has 10 modification slots in a minidrone body.  That gives it a wide range of options for infiltration.  Also, ferrets, with the right paint job (hello chameleon coating,) are basically invisible in corp settings.  Or literally invisible if that's what needs doing.  Chameleon coating is a must on any small drone.  Equip its integral improved sensor array with an Ultra-wide-band radar sensor and one can discretely map out the whole target facility, down to the molecule.

Renraku Manservant drone isn't to be underestimated in terms of the utility you can pull out of it for the pricetag.

As far as vehicles, there's your utility choices like the classic GMC Bulldog step van, the massive Zugmachine 18-wheeler can be armored like a tank and carry all your other drones around. 

As to gear, there's piles of it.  Response enhancers, simsense booster simsense accelerator, customized interface, commlink optimization, a ton of programs, commlink with upgraded chips, nonstandard wireless link, cyber cyber cyber.

larskrygan

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <03-09-11/0033:58> »
for the cyberware : a datajack and the control rig is the must have with the hot sim modification :p
optional is the cybereyes/ears or an implanted commlink with a good response.
it is better to have one or two full boosted drones and one good car modified at the start, look up arsenal for pimping up the car

"stop bugging me or I will bug you"
insect spirits are the GM's friends

Dakka

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <03-09-11/1937:26> »
I know this is the gear section, but for the love of all that is good an logical make sure you have Pilot Aircraft 1.  It is a non defaultable skill that when you need it, you REALLY need it.  Plus it's used on drones and vehicles from the Flyspy and LEBD-1 all the way up to commercial airliners.

Man Who Walks At Night

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-11-11/1427:46> »
Thanks guys - gave us something to work with :)
-Frag you and the hog you rode in on.

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <03-12-11/0912:01> »
Also be sure the read the Arsenal errata on sensor upgrades. Then get a FlySpy's sensors to R6, combined with loads of vision enhancements it makes the perfect spotter

Mach

• Newb
« Reply #7 on: <03-14-11/1356:33> »
battle-tac system (networked). its in the augmentation book. you won't need more than a level 1. it is extremely useful for the mage to know just as much about the situation as the rigger.