Advice needed for runs to base simpler ones on

• 6 Replies

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« on: <10-28-18/1353:58> »
Heya all,

Because I can't manage a 4-hour timeslot, having to make do with 3 instead, I host custom games without permanent characters, using just Missions Legal sample characters. As a result I also have to downtweak the opposition, since some runs aren't designed with a full starter party in mind. Normally I do short custom runs, but last time I took World Tour 1 (CMP 2016-05) and tweaked it to make it a nice challenge for the party.

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea on what CMPs or normal runs (as Agent I can access all, fortunately) would be a nice base to tweak a shorter lower-power adventure around with purely 3~5 newbies in mind?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-28-18/1631:24> »
First off all, include the classic  Food fight at stuffer shack  !! :) Tell them their Fixer/ Mr. Johnson will pick them up at the stuffer shack XYZ.

That comes with pre built characters and will give you an opportunity to see what type of players you have. Backstabbing, yell charge and fight it out, or do they simply try to sneak out and abandon everyone. It also lets them learn basic rules and combat without serious consequences.

The short adventure in the quick start rules ( the one with the map of MC Hughes) also is pretty straight forward  ( Daddy pays you to rescue his daughter from low tier mafia )and has ready to go sample characters. It starts at page 19.

http://www.shadowruntabletop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/E-CAT27QSR_SR5-Quick-Start-Rules.pdf
« Last Edit: <10-28-18/1633:18> by Seras »
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <10-29-18/0152:04> »
Food fight has as downside that it just goes straight into combat, and while I did run that kind of event once (team met up at a mall, mall got attacked by gangers), it doesn't give much taste for some characters, since it's essentially just the 1 scene. They're also more meant for quick intro runs of like 2 hours max. It'd be nice for a group that I need to gauge for a bigger campaign, but for open events it might be insufficient flavour to keep them interested. Thanks for the advice though, if anything I could expand on the QSR one with some custom stuff around it.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #3 on: <10-29-18/1802:20> »
Im a fan of season 1, missions 1 and 3.  I thought they were both interesting enough getting to know things jobs (neither combat oriented)

If you want something from the SR5 era, season five, missions 1 and 6 both stand alone nicely, and could be pretty easily compressed if needed.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-30-18/0129:11> »
Aight, good to know and I'll take a look at those 4. Any tips on CMPs from the past year?

DigitalZombie

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <10-30-18/0628:58> »
I dont have any specific runs to suggest.
But maybe you could split some of the larger runs into 2 or even 3?
Say a long has the runners stealing a mcguffin in the first part, and then having the runners holding on to it long enough for a drop of a week later.
Change it to the first team of runners has to get the mcGuffin and hand it over to mr johnson. The next team of runners are then approached by amr johnson with the task of keeping it safe en delivering it to somewhere/one in a week.

Naturally the twist is that whatever the first team did during their run may affect the second team, did the mcGuffin get slightly banged up?, did they do a very good job of pissing off all the involved factions at once? Or did they manage to make some allies?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <11-30-18/0133:31> »
Im a fan of season 1, missions 1 and 3.  I thought they were both interesting enough getting to know things jobs (neither combat oriented)

If you want something from the SR5 era, season five, missions 1 and 6 both stand alone nicely, and could be pretty easily compressed if needed.
Looking into S01M01 and definitely going for that one for tomorrow. =) (I'm short on time anyway, because I got work now, rpg in evening, need to leave at 11 to pick up rittens at 2, then commute back and pass the rittens on to my wife before going to the event, where I am now responsible for the ENTIRE event, so both Shadowrun and D&D, because the D&D host quit... So I'm glad this scenario gives me plenty of leeway.)