NEWS

PbP Group 2 (Raven Runner & Volker)

• 96 Replies

Raven Runner

• Chummer
« Reply #15 on: <11-09-14/0915:12> »
WELCOME TO THE SHADOWS...

Hey folks, just wanted to say a little bit about this campaign...

* Rumor has it you're in Seattle...good, good, there's someone here who's looking for a group of runners, runners who are game to travel a bit...and you should fit the bill just fine. *

Okay, so Volker and I have been talking and we are really excited about this campaign!  It's going to be...unique :)

I want to be extra clear that it is first and foremost about role playing, it's about your character, not the stats but who they are in the game.  It's all about decisions and how you work as a team.  Now, the numbers are important, being good at what you're good at will no doubt help your characters survive and succeed, but your characters stats should make sense and line up with your back story.

Big dice pools won’t matter as much as they do in some other games...it will still matter a lot...but if you diversify your skills that will also be useful...and in addition to all this some skills will be more or less useful than normal, and it will change from one run to the next...so bottom line is, focus on role playing and creating a character you like, and don't worry too much about how "powerful" your character is!

Matrix: This is a big one...there will be times when you do not have Matrix access.  Now, this doesn't mean you can't play a Matrix focused character or anything like that, it just means it will, at times, be a very different experience playing a hacker in this game compared to, say, a more classic SR game.

Contacts: As every one knows you will be traveling.  Contacts will probably work a bit differently in this game, and we are working on the GM side of this...for now feel free to do contacts how ever you want, don't worry about them though, and we will keep you up to date as this unfolds.

And please bare with us here, we both feel that this game is going to be epic!  And since we are collaborating and creating a whole story line, not just a single run, things are a bit slower on our end, it's going to be worth it though!  Thanks for being a part of it all!

Oh, and remember...the world of Shadowrun was never meant to be fair, being a runner is a tough life, so...gather your team, load your weapons, and strap in!

Got questions about any of this?  Please ask away!

Cheers, Raven and Volker

Raven Runner

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <11-09-14/0921:14> »
I have an opportunity to finish up my character tonight, so I just wanted to ask if there was any pertinent story info, house rules, restrictions, or suggestions incoming that I should be aware of. If not, I'll wrap it all up and post it here when I'm finished.

Very good question...character creation is pretty standard so far.  If there is some house rule you really want for some reason let us know but we are planning on going by the book.

As has been noted several times, our focus is on role playing, which means while your stats are of course super important, the way you play in-game will be VERY important :)

There also might be a bunch of questions after my last post, and as Volker and I respond you might get more info/ideas.

Cheers, Raven

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <11-09-14/0923:29> »
Sounds awesome , im psyched.

Take your time, i am more worried about the game lasting, then how quickly it starts.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #18 on: <11-09-14/0952:16> »

Take your time, i am more worried about the game lasting, then how quickly it starts.

I agree on that, out of sad experience.

Whoever has finished writing a Curriculum Vitae or any other background material concerning your character, we'd be glad to receive a PM from you!
"normal speech"
whisper/"under your breath"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <11-09-14/1006:44> »
Tweaking my character a touch based on suggestions, then i will get a backstory fully together. Busy day today, but should have it together soon.

8-bit

« Reply #20 on: <11-09-14/1112:23> »
Light bounces of an object and travels through the air until it reaches our eyeballs and we see it.  An Air elemental can change the light that travels through it creating the illusion of things that aren't there.  Ditto for sound.  Seems simple to me.

You might have misunderstood the issue. It's not like we were looking for a fluff explanation why an Air elemental is able to cast an Illusion spell. We're trying to figure out what sense this sentence in the Grimoire makes, because, according to the rules, Air elementals are not able to perform any illusions, and according to Grimoire they are limited to illusions. But Raven Runner and I are fine by handling it the way I said before. I guess that should be okay for everyone.

Yeah, I'm fine with that. I just wanted some confirmation, as I like to stick as close to the actual abilities that are laid out in the book, before trying to come up with other explanations.

Seconded; this game sounds like it will be a lot of fun. I would rather it lasts for a while.

------------------------------------

I'll try to get backstory finished; and try to get some contacts. It might not be today, because I'm away from a computer all day at family stuff.

RagallachMC

• Chummer
« Reply #21 on: <11-09-14/1242:04> »
Character is done.  I'll PM you guys today with backstory.

Landmine

• Chummer
« Reply #22 on: <11-09-14/1324:08> »
I have an opportunity to finish up my character tonight, so I just wanted to ask if there was any pertinent story info, house rules, restrictions, or suggestions incoming that I should be aware of. If not, I'll wrap it all up and post it here when I'm finished.

Very good question...character creation is pretty standard so far.  If there is some house rule you really want for some reason let us know but we are planning on going by the book.

As has been noted several times, our focus is on role playing, which means while your stats are of course super important, the way you play in-game will be VERY important :)

There also might be a bunch of questions after my last post, and as Volker and I respond you might get more info/ideas.

Cheers, Raven

Not interested in house rules, just wanted to make sure there wasn't something coming down the pipe I should know about. Just to verify, you guys are allowing the optional Small Unit Tactics rules in Run & Gun? It fits my character well, so I have invested heavily in the skill. If we aren't using them, I'll just reinvest the points somewhere else.

This.
"normal speech"  thought  "Matrix"   "Subvocal"  "Foreign Language"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #23 on: <11-09-14/1358:54> »
Are we playing an already established team?
Or are we a bunch of solos all thrown together at the beginning?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Landmine

• Chummer
« Reply #24 on: <11-09-14/2213:10> »
Here's the stats for my street samurai, Mercy. I think it's a good balance, but I'm open to criticism or tweaking to help out the party.

Mercy
METATYPE: ELF
B 5, A 7/9, R 3/5, S 4/6, W 3, L 2, I 5, C 3, ESS 0.37, EDG 2
Condition Monitor (P/S): 11 / 10
Armor: 20
Limits: Physical 8, Mental 4, Social 5
Physical Initiative: 8/10+3D6
Active Skills: Athletics Group 2, Automatics 6 (Assault Rifles +2), Blades 6 (Knives +2), Con 1, Etiquette 1, Perception 6 (Visual +2), Sneaking 6 (Urban +2), Throwing Weapons 1
Knowledge Skills: Gang Identifiaction 1, Shadow Community 3, Small Unit Tactics 4
Free Interest Karma Knowledges: Fine Tobacco 3, Literature (Elven) 3, Classical Music (20th century Rock) 2, Building Design 3, Great Restaurants 3, Smuggling Routes 4
Languages: English N, Japanese 3, Sperethiel 3
Qualities: Agile Defender, Allergy, Uncommon (Moderate): Silver, Code of Honor: Children (6dicepool vs. 4)
Augmentations:
   Bone Lacing (Aluminum)
   Cybereyes (3) w/ Flare Compensation, Image Link, Low-Light Vision, Smartlink, Thermographic Vision, Vision Enhancement (2), Vision Magnification
   Damage Compensators (4)
   Datajack (Alphaware)
   Muscle Replacement (Used) (2)
   Platelet Factories (Used)
   Sleep Regulator
   Synaptic Booster (2)
Vehicles:
   Suzuki Mirage [Handling 5/3, Speed 6, Accel 3, Body 5, Armor 6, Pilot 1, Sensor 2, Seats 1]
      Gear:
         Morphing license plate
         Spoof chips
Gear:
  Antidote Patch (6) x4
   Backpack
   Ballistic Mask w/ Gas Mask, Micro-Tranceiver, Select Sound Filter (2), Single Sensor (8)
   BDU (black)
   BDU (OD green)
   Casual Clothing
   Certified Credstick, Platinum
   Certified Credstick, Silver
   Certified Credstick, Standard x2
   Chisel/Crowbar
   Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
   Concealed Quick-Draw Holster
   Ear buds (3) w/ Audio Enhancement (3)
   Endoscope
   Environment Scanner w/ Atmosphere Sensor, Geiger Counter, Olfactory Sensor (9)
   Flashlight
   Forearm Guards w/ Auto-Injector (Loaded with Stim patch, Antidote Patch, Trauma Patch, and Longhaul)
   Gecko Tape Gloves
   Gun Belt
   Jammer, Directional (6)
   Light Stick x5
   Lined Coat
   Long Haul x3
   Medkit (6)
   Meta Link Commlink
   Meta Link Commlink
   Meta Link Commlink
   Metal Restraints x5
   Micro-Tranceiver
   Miniwelder
   Miniwelder Fuel Canister
   Myomeric Rope (m) x10

Plastic Restraints x10
   Rapelling Gloves
   Sleeping Tiger w/ Chemical Protection (3), Custom Fit, Gel Packs, Holster, Newest Model, Nonconductivity (4), Ruthenium Polymer Coating (3), Thermal Dampening (3)
   Standard Rope (m) x100
   Stim Patch (6) x4

Subvocal Microphone
  Survival Kit
   Tac Harness
   Tag Eraser

Transys Avalon Commlink w/ Biomonitor, Datasoft: Small Unit Tactics, Mapsoft: Seattle, Mapsoft: Sidhe-Salish, Shopsoft: Clothing, Shopsoft: Weapons, Sim Module
   Trauma Patch x4
   Trodes
   White Noise Generator (6)
Weapons:
   FN HAR [Assault Rifle, Acc 7, DV 10P, AP -6, SA/BF/FA, RC 2(4), 35 (c)] w/ (300x) APDS, Flashlight, Thermographic, Foregrip, Gas-Vent System (2), (100x) Gel Rounds, (100x) Hollow Points, Improved Range Finder, Laser Sight, (300x) Regular Ammo, Shock Pad, Silencer/Suppressor, Sling, Smartgun System, External, (10x) Spare Clips, (100x) Stick-n-Shock
   Ingram Smartgun X [SMG, Acc 6, DV 8P, AP –, BF/FA, RC 2(4), 32 (c)] w/ Flashlight, Thermographic, Folding Stock, Foregrip, Gas-Vent System (2), (200x) Gel Rounds, (300x) Regular Ammo, Silencer/Suppressor, Sling, Smartgun System, Internal, (5x) Spare Clips
   Remington Suppressor [Machine Pistol, Acc 8, DV 7P, AP -5, SA/BF, RC 3, 15 (c)] w/ (100x) APDS, Flashlight, Thermographic, Gas-Vent System (3), (100x) Gel Rounds, (100x) Hollow Points, Improved Range Finder, (200x) Regular Ammo, Silencer/Suppressor, Smartgun System, External, (5x) Spare Clips, (100x) Stick-n-Shock
   Combat Knife [Blade, Acc 6, DV 8P, AP -3]
   Survival Knife [Blade, Acc 5, DV 8P, AP -1]
   Flash-Bang Grenade x5 [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 8, DV 10S, 10m R, AP -4]
   Fragmentation Grenade x4 [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 8, DV 18P(f), -1/m, AP +5]
   Paint Grenade, Radioactive Tracking Dye x4 [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 8, DV Paint, 10m R, AP –] w/ Radioactive Tracking Dye
   Smoke Grenade x5 [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 8, DV Smoke, 10m R, AP –]
   Thermal Smoke Grenade x5 [Grenade, non-aerodynamic, Acc 8, DV Th. Smoke, 10m R, AP –]

Fake SINs:
Evelyn Smith: w/ (12 months) DocWagon Gold Contract, Fake License: Augmentation (4), Fake License: Concealed Carry (4), Fake License: Firearms (4), Fake License: Grenades (4), Fake SIN (4)  - Mercy's current SIN for runs, contains her DocWagon contract

Rose Zavala: w/ Fake License: Augmentation (4), Fake License: Concealed Carry (4), Fake License: Firearms (4), Fake License: Grenades (4), Fake SIN (4) - Mercy's usual fake SIN.

Samantha McGowan: w/ Fake SIN (3), (3 months) Low Lifestyle - This identity is established for Mercy's apartment. She does not use it for anything other than her residence. She usually claims to be "Samantha's roommate". Samantha just stepped out of course, and she didn't say when she would be back.

Contacts:
Jameson (Connection 5, Loyalty 2): Jameson is a popular fixer that Lead introduced Mercy to. The two are friendly, and Mercy has performed several odd jobs for him in her hopes to line up more lucrative work.

Lead (Connection 2, Loyalty 5): Mercy's old Mentor, Lead is a very successful gun runner that operates with an all elf crew in the Salish-Sidhe territory. The two parted on good terms as Mercy set off on her own and Lead now helps her out with specialty equipment, advice, and recommendations others in the shadow community. (Note: I've downplayed Lead's connection rating a bit as the physical distance between the two limits the amount of aid he can provide to Mercy. Let me know if that's a problem.)

Nails (Connection 3, Loyalty 1): Nails is an Ancients ganger that runs a group near Mercy's apartment. Mercy occaisionally takes work with them in exchange for favors.

Seamus (Connection 3, Loyalty 2): Irish ex-patriate elf that is one of Lead's regular customers. Mercy has spent some time building her own relationship with the weapons dealer and is one of his regulars now.

Starting ¥: 2,130 + (3D6 x 60)¥.

Notes: 500 nuyen spent on Personalized grips for her weapons, this is reflected in the adjusted starting nuyen value. She has three custom items: backpack, gun belt, and tac harness. I spent 50 nuyen on each. The gunbelt is a synthleather extra wide belt capable of supporting the extra of weight of holstered weapons, magazines, etc. The tac harness is a nylon rig with extra pouches and straps for magazines, grenades, etc. The backpack is a nylon model with a large central storage space and lots of pouches for gear stowage. I couldn't find anything to base these items off of, so if you want me to change any of the costs, just let me know. Their mechanical effects would be relatively minor. It's just a place for her to store the things she normally takes on runs. Changes and noted items are bold.

Appearance: Mercy is around 6ft tall and slim, but nothing about her stands out from any other elf. A closer look reveals something deeply unsettling about her. Her green cybereyes, while appearing natural, are too symmetrical. Her vat-grown muscles produce too-perfect lines of musculature. Her movements, at first appearing graceful, are more like the precision of a machine than a person. She keeps her hair cut short and dyed a pale white. She favors military-styled BDUs and black clothing. She typically wears her long coat over her customized Sleeping Tiger and at least a few hidden weapons. Her customized FN HAR has the words, "Reasonable Discourse" precisely carved into its stock.

Here's a picture that inspired some of her appearance: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zv9u2bm1ogcdocn/runner9.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: <11-10-14/2152:28> by Landmine »
"normal speech"  thought  "Matrix"   "Subvocal"  "Foreign Language"

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #25 on: <11-09-14/2348:23> »
Nicely done, looks good Landmine.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <11-10-14/0036:29> »
@Landmine:

I'll have a look at them, but I don't see any reason why not for now.

@Poindexter:
bunch of solow ^^
But if you like to know a certain character because you know the player or something, we won't be in your way. Just let us know.

The build sounds great. Could you please add the information, which contact is what? I'm looking forward to the background!

We agreed to take up Ragallachs idea: everyone has 20 free Karma to spend on interests/hobbies to provide your characters with more depth.

Also, magic is going to be a little bit "flashier" for balancing:
Normally, magic is invisible. Thus, a spellcaster can sniper or even Thought Control a mundane character on a distance of several hundred meters without any chance of resistance. I opt for magic being visible in general - you can still sniper, but at the cost of revealing your position. This is of course not true for lesser spells (say, force 3 or lower), illusion stuff and anything where invisibility is an essential component.
« Last Edit: <11-10-14/0136:35> by Volker »
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #27 on: <11-10-14/0147:14> »
Also, magic is going to be a little bit "flashier" for balancing:
Normally, magic is invisible. Thus, a spellcaster can sniper or even Thought Control a mundane character on a distance of several hundred meters without any chance of resistance. I opt for magic being visible in general - you can still sniper, but at the cost of revealing your position. This is of course not true for lesser spells (say, force 3 or lower), illusion stuff and anything where invisibility is an essential component.

whoa! glad i aint playin a mage.
The "visible magic" rule doesn't really seem needed. Anyone with astral perception can tell where that spell came from anyways. No need to let the mundanes in on it as well, eh? Think about if you did the same sort of rule with the matrix. The "visible hacking" rule, as it were. Even if you don't have image link at the time, you can still spot the guy who's trying to hack your commlink. Seems silly, doesn't it? I say leave astral overwatch to the mages, eh?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <11-10-14/0225:38> »
That's exactly why we want to change the rules, because magic always is the trump. If you want to defend against magic, you always need magic (whereas a magician can defend himself against mundane characters quite well). Balancing is about, well, balancing the odds: both should be able to defend against each other, not only one way. The comparison to matrix doesn't quite work. 1st you can just switch your link off and it can't be harmed anymore. You cannot defend against magic (nope, paying a mage to do so does not count as "mundane"). 2nd, a hacker can "only" steal data or brick your gear. A magician can do pretty anything.
I'm cutting into my own flesh, since I'm the shaman in Ragallach's group and if he likes that rule, I can hardly say "Waitwaitwait! This wasn't supposed to be used on my shaman!", can I? But, honestly, it sucks if a char is overmighty only because somebody chose a magician.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

SnowDragon

• Chummer
  • "I gag him and throw him down the stairs!"
« Reply #29 on: <11-10-14/0738:23> »
Hai guyz! (and other such forum foolery that I don't normally indulge in)

I might be blind, but 1: Are you full, and two, if no, is this a 5th or 4th game?

Thank youuu~

~~Ciao
~~SD