Hello, everybody!

This is group 2, that is:

Raven Runner and Volker as GM

RagallachMC - Technomancer
Poindexter - Troll wheelman
Landmine - Street Sam
8-bit - Spider Mage
Shrazkil - Negotiator/mystic adept

Is it fine for you to start in NA (Seattle) 2075 and then go some play we are going to decide?

How far are you in character creation?

Can you give us a first impression of the style and abilities of your chars? Things that are important to know for us GMs.
"normal speech"
whisper/"under your breath"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Landmine

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <11-08-14/0043:42> »
Seattle works for me. I will have to do a bit of tweaking as I was preparing Denver contacts.

Character creation is just about done. I'm just playing with gear and contacts at this point. The character background is mostly still in my head, but I have a solid concept. I should be able to get it fully fleshed out in the next day or two.

Everything about my street samurai (Mercy) screams military. She was trained by an ex-Ghost turned gun runner and has only recently struck out on her own. Their group was extremely professional and she takes her work very seriously. She has some very large dice pools for her assault rifle and combat knife. Her sneak and perception pools are right behind them, and she has a few points in social skills. She has a lot of points invested in contacts as well. She doesn't know that people, but she's tried hard to cultivate those relationships. I have her character sheet pretty much finished and should be able to get that to you as soon as I rework her contacts.

Edit: I should also mention that she's invested fairly heavily into Small Unit Tactics from Run & Gun. So if you don't plan to allow those, she will be learning a new language!
« Last Edit: <11-08-14/0057:04> by Landmine »
"normal speech"  thought  "Matrix"   "Subvocal"  "Foreign Language"

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-08-14/0059:57> »
For the 1st plot, connections won't be that important, since we're going to go somewhere else anyway.
I'll be looking forward to read your stuff :)
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <11-08-14/0839:54> »
I have my framework done on my character. just needs some polish, was going to wait till i saw spell selection from 8-bit so i can try and balance out needs.

http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=18598.0

Seattle would be fine by me, i just want to avoid areas with severly limiting background counts.
« Last Edit: <11-08-14/0843:12> by Shrazkil »

RagallachMC

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <11-08-14/0924:46> »
Seattle works for me.

My character is just about done.  Just need to finish up gear and double check skills.

Beetle loves to get a rush in two worlds.  In his meat body he's into extreme sports, ie BASE jumping, skiing, Skateboarding.  In the Matrix he loves poking into places he's not supposed to be and seeing what's there.  He's kind of a slacker and a Bliss-head, but despite that he has a certain charm about him (high CHA and some social skills).  He's competent with a pistol, but doesn't really dig people shooting at him.

Raven Runner

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <11-08-14/1132:38> »
Hey every one, wanted to drop in and say "hi!"

Workin up some story stuff and will have more info soon, hopefully this weekend, really lookin forward to this!

Cheers Chummers!

- Raven

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <11-08-14/1811:02> »
Sorry that I haven't gotten back, I've been away from a computer all day.

Here's the sheet, if anyone wants to take a peek at the barebones of the character. I have yet to do Languages, contacts, and backstory. I'll try to get to it, just been really busy past few days.

Edited out due to GM suggestion.

Seattle is fine, as well as traveling. I have the feeling Arachnos is going to have contacts that will be fine anywhere (suppliers and info brokers and such).

Arachnos likes to get a feeling about any location he goes to, and then devise a plan based off of any information he gets. His plans, while not always elaborate, tend to focus on deception and misdirection (always good for a runner). He loves to mess with people's minds with his illusions, not only to get a kick out of watching their confusion, but because manipulation is his favorite pastime. Kind of the reason he got into the shadows in the first place.

As can be seen by the character sheet, I'm packing a lot of Illusions, a few manipulations spells, and some Combat spells to round him out. He prefers not to fight if he can, but that doesn't mean he isn't capable of it. He can also summon spirits in a pinch, as well as to perform Illusions/reconnaissance. I guess I should ask this now, while I can.

Are we following the rules from Street Grimoire, in that certain spirits can only perform certain tasks?

Quote from: Street Grimoire; page 41
Mages of that particular tradition may only summon the spirits listed with the tradition, and they are restricted in the tasks they can assign them. Assigning tasks outside the general area of their tradition will not receive a response
from the spirit (for example, a Buddhist mage telling an air spirit to heal him will get no response, as air is a Combat spirit in that tradition, while the Health spirit is earth).

If so, then my Illusion spirit would be Air. Except I'm not seeing, outside of creative thinking, any way for Air spirits to create or manipulate Illusions.
« Last Edit: <11-11-14/0148:49> by 8-bit »

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #7 on: <11-08-14/1931:32> »
Except I'm not seeing, outside of creative thinking, any way for Air spirits to create or manipulate Illusions.

you never seen a mirage?
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

8-bit

« Reply #8 on: <11-08-14/2014:44> »
Except I'm not seeing, outside of creative thinking, any way for Air spirits to create or manipulate Illusions.

you never seen a mirage?

Nope, but that's not my point. That is creative thinking, IMO. The current powers and skills the Air spirit possesses are currently unable to create Illusions. That paragraph I put up there from Street Grimoire states that Air spirits (which are Illusion spirits for the Black Magic tradition) will take no orders that are not Illusion based. That means that the Air spirit can do nothing for me ever, except materialize (which can creatively be used to make a mirage).

About the only use I can think of is using the Movement power to multiply someone's speed to be so fast, that when they move past someone, that person thought they imagined something because they are a blur or faster.
« Last Edit: <11-08-14/2016:32> by 8-bit »

Shrazkil

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <11-08-14/2050:42> »
The example itself seems silly. Can an earth elemental even heal.

8-bit

« Reply #10 on: <11-08-14/2052:48> »
The example itself seems silly. Can an earth elemental even heal.

Nope. "Dammit Jim, I'm an Earth Spirit, not a doctor."
« Last Edit: <11-08-14/2102:41> by 8-bit »

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <11-08-14/2211:46> »
The example is not silly, because it doesn't say, it can only cast spells, but "tasks outside the general area".
The way I translate this is: A shaman (Combat: Beasts, Health: Earth, Illusion: Air) can order a Beast spirit to use Confusion on a group of opponents (before he uses a second order to have it tear them apart). He can order an Earth spirit to use Confusion when the group is hiding from way too strong opponents (thus, protecting their health without actually being in a combat situation) and can order an Air elemental to use Confusion when they try to sneak in somewhere.

But I'm not keen on keeping that rule. I would ask you to try to stick as close as possible for roleplay's sake. That is, if you plan to sneak in, please conjure an Air elemental. But if you already have conjured an Earth elemental you don't need to summon a new spirit because of Street Grimoire p. 41.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

RagallachMC

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <11-08-14/2355:42> »
Light bounces of an object and travels through the air until it reaches our eyeballs and we see it.  An Air elemental can change the light that travels through it creating the illusion of things that aren't there.  Ditto for sound.  Seems simple to me.

Volker

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <11-09-14/0703:35> »
Light bounces of an object and travels through the air until it reaches our eyeballs and we see it.  An Air elemental can change the light that travels through it creating the illusion of things that aren't there.  Ditto for sound.  Seems simple to me.

You might have misunderstood the issue. It's not like we were looking for a fluff explanation why an Air elemental is able to cast an Illusion spell. We're trying to figure out what sense this sentence in the Grimoire makes, because, according to the rules, Air elementals are not able to perform any illusions, and according to Grimoire they are limited to illusions. But Raven Runner and I are fine by handling it the way I said before. I guess that should be okay for everyone.
"normal speech"
thought
"Matrix/email/..."
"sub-vocal"
"foreign language"

Landmine

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <11-09-14/0847:25> »
I have an opportunity to finish up my character tonight, so I just wanted to ask if there was any pertinent story info, house rules, restrictions, or suggestions incoming that I should be aware of. If not, I'll wrap it all up and post it here when I'm finished.
"normal speech"  thought  "Matrix"   "Subvocal"  "Foreign Language"