NEWS

[SR5] Starting Out with a Bang

• 13 Replies

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« on: <02-26-14/1552:41> »
I'm running Street/Mid Level Campaign probably late next month. (Playing in campaign for next 4 weeks or so.) I have 2 new players I've never GMed for. I have the first half dozen or so runs planned out, but I wanted to start out the campaign right away with some combat, partly to get the players familiar with SR5 combat rules, and partly because I think it will be fun and unexpected. So how do I start my Street/Mid level campaign off with a bang?

Some things to keep in mind:
1. I would prefer no one dies, but have there be some risk.(maybe getting beat unconscious?)
2. I want players to have proper motivation to get into the fight, and not contemplate fleeing.
3. I would prefer players to be hesitant to use deadly force.
4. I'd like to add few twists and make it more than just simple beat down.

One idea I have is to have massive riot or celebration over Urban brawl victory that is causing mobs to overrun the streets, and one of the player's cars or bikes is at risk of being vandalized by the mob. Have Knight Errant in background, but obviously overwhelmed by the scene, but still having enough of a presence that any use of deadly weapons would be noticed and quickly dealt with.  After a fight with some of the drunken mob, during the chaos, a women gets robbed and runners are forced to choose between protecting their vehicle or going after the thief. (Also Get new players familiar with movement rules a bit). Maybe after the decide to chase down thief or protect vehicle, see mob starting to get out of hand and Knight Errant in risk of being seriously hurt or killed. Make runners choose between helping the Police (and possibly getting a get out of jail free card) and not interfering.

Any other ideas?

Comments, Suggestions, always appreciated.

Thanks
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <02-26-14/1714:05> »
My first mission with my group, I had them get involved in a street riot.  It was hilarious, dangerous, and thrilling.  At one point, one of them summoned a too-powerful spirit of Man, and got a ton of hits.  So I had this giant ghost samurai running through the streets using its Fear power to scare the bejesus out of people.  The cops showed up and used tear gas on the rioters, and one of the crew critically glitched his resistance to CS gas.  So he started puking and generally being gross.  Never mind that he was useless the rest of the game, he had a blast because it was so chaotic.

Before the riot started, the group was trying to get hold of a doctor that had been performing some amoral surgery on the homeless population.  This, coupled with the metahuman riots prior to Prop 23 (this was 4th edition) made the whole thing into a powder keg.  So they're trying to track down the doctor in the middle of this riot as the doctor is trying to get away.  Running on foot is just about the only option, but the rigger decides to wirelessly command his drones to keep an eye on the good doctor.  Knight Errant wasn't going to have any of that, and shot his drone down (suspecting it was a news feed).  So now they're trying to recover the doctor, find the pieces of the drone, and avoid getting arrested as a "demonstrator."
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <02-26-14/1820:01> »
Sounds fun.

That's kind of thing I would like to do.

All the players in my game start with the same Fixer. I find this a lot easier when trying to explain how the characters all know each other, and when adding new players.

I was going to start with having their Fixer give them a tip on the coming up Semi-Pro Urban Brawl game and how the star player for the Home team isn't going to have a good game, and says if they want in on the betting action, he'll take 20% of their winnings. I figure would be good way to get team interested in the Urban Brawl game, maybe they all go to one characters house to watch it on trid, and to explain when home team loses, why there is riot.

Maybe I could do something like that scene in Trainspotting where Begbie throws his beer mug and hits the woman below in the bar. Someone gets bloodied real close to runners and everyone is looking at the runners as the perpetrators, and they have to defend themselves.

« Last Edit: <02-26-14/1825:34> by Bushw4cker »
"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate." -Terry Pratchett

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <02-26-14/1910:36> »
That would be good too - I definitely like the idea of chaos happening in the environment, independent of the runners' actions.  There are plenty of times when you do everything right and things still go wrong, too.

Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <02-26-14/2104:40> »
That would be good too - I definitely like the idea of chaos happening in the environment, independent of the runners' actions.  There are plenty of times when you do everything right and things still go wrong, too.

I like the idea of throwing characters into the action right away. Most players are anxious to get to the part where they can start start kicking ass in Shadowrun, especially if you're new to game, and even more so if you made your own character. This way let's them get a feel for combat, and know their limits a little better. I've had players in past who felt they were near invincible. Hopefully scenario will show runners to use restraint and caution. ( I really hope no one in group starts spraying full auto...well at least that would weed out stupid players at least when character gets beat down from KE.)

Your drone story got me thinking about using Knight Errant drones for crowd control blasting over loudspeaker on the drones "Please Return to your Homes, Move Along!"

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <02-27-14/0024:37> »
I like the idea of the aerial KE drones.  Maybe have them lob some tear gas if a crowd starts to gather?  Maybe then someone from the crowd whips out a pistol and shoots down a drone?  And maaaaybe in the confusion of the moment, that person happens to be confused by KE for one of the runners?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <02-27-14/0249:05> »
A bar brawl is a classic non-lethal introduction to combat. Somewhat unavoidable especially in a crowded bar, too many witnesses to brazenly murder people, and enough chaos for everyone to enjoy themselves. It will do more for the close combat rules than it will for ranged combat rules although I suppose the PCs could pull tasers.

That said, I just did a riot in my game three weeks ago to commemorate the Seattle Screamers victory over the Denver Mountain Dragons in the Urban Brawl World Cup. It had many of the plot elements already mentioned - rioters messing with the PCs bikes, the moral temptation to participate in and/or prevent looting, quelling violence when go-gangers use the opportunity for random shootings, etc. It sounds like you're well on your way already but here is the game log here if you're curious:

http://seattlegb.wikispaces.com/Session+72+Log

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <02-27-14/1052:28> »
A bar brawl is a classic non-lethal introduction to combat. Somewhat unavoidable especially in a crowded bar, too many witnesses to brazenly murder people, and enough chaos for everyone to enjoy themselves. It will do more for the close combat rules than it will for ranged combat rules although I suppose the PCs could pull tasers.

That said, I just did a riot in my game three weeks ago to commemorate the Seattle Screamers victory over the Denver Mountain Dragons in the Urban Brawl World Cup. It had many of the plot elements already mentioned - rioters messing with the PCs bikes, the moral temptation to participate in and/or prevent looting, quelling violence when go-gangers use the opportunity for random shootings, etc. It sounds like you're well on your way already but here is the game log here if you're curious:

http://seattlegb.wikispaces.com/Session+72+Log

Mind if I steal a few things from that session?.. I just started reading probably about half way through. How do record the log? Audio then have someone type it up?.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <02-27-14/1250:41> »
Yes, by all means, borrow and steal.

The session was conducted over IRC; my IRC client auto-logged the transcript for me. I removed the OOC chatter and dice rolls.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <02-27-14/1622:09> »
Yes, by all means, borrow and steal.

The session was conducted over IRC; my IRC client auto-logged the transcript for me. I removed the OOC chatter and dice rolls.

Are you running Street Level game?

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <02-27-14/1818:08> »
Yes. Puyallup Barrens. The chargen rules are on the same wiki - you can find the link to them at the top-right of the page. I came up with them on the fly right after the book had come out since we eager to transition to 5th Edition. If I had to do it over again I would re-evaluate the Street Scum chargen rules, which I didn't even see in my first pass through.

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <02-28-14/1014:08> »
Yes. Puyallup Barrens. The chargen rules are on the same wiki - you can find the link to them at the top-right of the page. I came up with them on the fly right after the book had come out since we eager to transition to 5th Edition. If I had to do it over again I would re-evaluate the Street Scum chargen rules, which I didn't even see in my first pass through.

Wow, you keep excellent records of everything, was fun just  to browse page.

I'm going to be running a campaign in between street and mid level. I'm using just regular character gen rules but have recommended the players not go crazy with resources. Strongly suggest they don't take Resources A or B, otherwise I'm pretty flexible. I've also made a bunch of Archetypes, some of them I've posted (A few of those where just for fun, and probably wouldn't actually want in my game)

One of my house rules has always been to let players transfer Karma from Archetype to new character they make (Assuming Archetype isn't dead of course) I had a few bad experiences trying to make characters before a game and found it takes way too long, and takes away from everyone else who already has a character. I also have everyone start out with same Fixer contact. I like to use fixer to communicate a lot of stuff via Matrix (I made Facebook just for Fixer and message players), I find this saves some time during game as well and gives players time to do planning and talking before game even starts. I'll usually message them about jobs and get feedback, this also lets me better plan the runs.

Voltron64

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <02-28-14/1039:00> »

Wow, you keep excellent records of everything, was fun just  to browse page.

I'm going to be running a campaign in between street and mid level. I'm using just regular character gen rules but have recommended the players not go crazy with resources. Strongly suggest they don't take Resources A or B, otherwise I'm pretty flexible. I've also made a bunch of Archetypes, some of them I've posted (A few of those where just for fun, and probably wouldn't actually want in my game)

One of my house rules has always been to let players transfer Karma from Archetype to new character they make (Assuming Archetype isn't dead of course) I had a few bad experiences trying to make characters before a game and found it takes way too long, and takes away from everyone else who already has a character. I also have everyone start out with same Fixer contact. I like to use fixer to communicate a lot of stuff via Matrix (I made Facebook just for Fixer and message players), I find this saves some time during game as well and gives players time to do planning and talking before game even starts. I'll usually message them about jobs and get feedback, this also lets me better plan the runs.

Can we have links to the facebook stuff?

Bushw4cker

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <02-28-14/1453:47> »
All I do is instant messaging from that account to players,

but here is example of correspondence from the characters Fixer. 

11-29-2066 4:44pm Commlink message from Smiley

Encrypted message from Smiley..

Password SM1LEM0THERFUCK3R accepted Running Decrypt....

Hey Chummer, I got a couple business opportunities for you if you don't mind working with the same team, Ms Johnson was quite pleased with the previous work you did for her, probably even more pleased you did it for so cheap. Did she try that "These are the max funds my employer has allocated" bull on you, please tell me you didn't buy that.  The first job offer is totally legit, I've worked with the Johnson before. He's an ass, you don't want to cross this guy, but the pay is good, and its one of those jobs that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside if you take it.  The second job offer is from a Johnson I've never worked with before, real nice polite...almost too nice.  The pay is almost twice the first offer, You'll be able to buy a lot of Christmas gifts if you take this run, and your going to need them, because you take this run, Santa is never coming to your house again. Talk it over with you team. Oh and you can't take them both. Let me know asap. 8))

-The runners had taken previous run without any negotiating after Ms. Johnson said these are the max funds my employer allocated for this job, so I wanted to tease them about it.

« Last Edit: <02-28-14/1501:46> by Bushw4cker »